The friendly and helpful staff are what makes this hotel so good - particularly the front desk receptionists and the Sugar Club waiters and waitresses. (I never made it to the other restaurant at the top of the mountain.)
Yes, there are a lot of steps, but they prevent you from putting on too much weight from the enormous breakfasts. However, I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone with a disability.
There are always loungers available by the pools and the pools never seem to get too crowded. The lower pool is quite a bit cooler than the upper pool, so there is a choice of water temperatures to suit just about everybody, and if you do get tired of the pools - I never did - you can take the shuttle to the beach.
Many of the guests were AI, but I wouldn't recommend this as there are so many restaurants a short walk or a short taxi ride away. My favourites were Dennis's - phenomenal goat curry and rum and raisin ice-cream made with real rum - and The Tamarind Tree at Curtain Bluff Hotel when I felt like splashing out.
There were a few minor niggles: the bathrooms are a little on the cramped side and there was a problem with my smoke alarm, but this was quickly fixed. Also, it would have been nice to have a comfortable chair in the room.
But, all in all, a very enjoyable and relaxing stay. Marcia at reception is one of the nicest ladies I have ever met and Rodayne even let me use the front desk computer when the guest computer wouldn't behave itself.
Would I go back? Definitely.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Antigua’s newest boutique hotel nestles in a sugar cane-bordered natural hillside with stunning views of the surrounding landscape and the turquoise Caribbean Sea. Designed in contemporary colonial style, rooms have private large verandas, plunge pool and full amenities. An Aveda™ spa provides the latest in holistic therapies; a gym, 3 swimming pools, trendy Sugar Club bar/restaurant and the more formal Carmichael’s, make Sugar Ridge the place to be. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Southall Travel, Odigeo, Holiday Gems, Hotels.com and Travelbag so you can book your Sugar Ridge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sugar Ridge Hotel Jolly Harbour
- Sugar Ridge Antigua/Jolly Harbour