Depending on what you are looking for, you may find this hotel to be fabulous, or mildly disappointing. First, I would like to argue in opposition to some complaints about the service here that others have offered. I have stayed in hundreds of hotels over the last quarter century, with dozens of these being five star resorts. I am not sure that I have ever seen more friendly, gracious, and helpful staff. To a person, they were a joy to deal with. Yes, at times the front desk was mildly understaffed, and we had to wait a minute or so. But this is true everywhere.
The rooms are simple and functional. Not fancy, but they had all the comforts one could reasonably expect. The bed was comfy. The shower was spacious enough for two. The wifi worked. The outdoor patio was pleasant. Everything was clean and modern and tasteful.
We ate at both the main restaurant and at Carmichael's, the fancier alternative. Go to the latter once for the view and the atmosphere, but the food was only marginally better. If your night vision is weak, bring the iPhone "over 40" app, so you can read the menu in the dim light. And get there in time to wAtch the sunset. The view is fantastic.
The food in both restaurants was very good, but not excellent. Tasty and well prepared, but not creAtive, exotic, or memorable. The service, like service everywhere in the hotel, was vey friendly and efficient. We were there at the transition from high to low season (mid may), and apparently they switch from "buffet or menu" to "menu only" mode for breakfast. But this was fine, as the menu options were good and cost effective.
Complaints? I can think of only two. First, the portable A/C units were loud. Second, the wifi went out periodically. The maintenance team was quick to reset it to fix the problem. I suspect it was related to the periodic power outages that the island seems prone to.
It is important to understand that the hotel is NOT in the beach. To compensate:
- they have a small. Unpleasant pool.
- you are just a twenty minute walk from the Jolly Harbour beach, which is clean and beautiful with pristine sand and water.
- they run regular shuttles to other beaches.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Antigua’s newest boutique hotel nestles in a sugar cane-bordered natural hillside with stunning views of the surrounding landscape and the turquoise Caribbean Sea. Designed in contemporary colonial style, rooms have private large verandas, plunge pool and full amenities. An Aveda™ spa provides the latest in holistic therapies; a gym, 3 swimming pools, trendy Sugar Club bar/restaurant and the more formal Carmichael’s, make Sugar Ridge the place to be. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Holiday Gems, Southall Travel, Travel Republic (UK), Travelbag, Hotels.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Agoda, Ebookers, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L. and getaroom.com so you can book your Sugar Ridge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sugar Ridge Hotel Jolly Harbour
- Sugar Ridge Antigua/Jolly Harbour