“Bucket List Birthday Present”

Mystic Amara III - Deep Sea & Bottom Fishing Charters
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Come fishing with Captain Leroy & mate Theo on our newly refurbished Bertram 31. Leroy has more than 20 years experience in fishing these waters. Our fishing charters put you in pursuit of big game fish. You will fish for Wahoo, Mahi Mahi, King Fish, Tuna, Barracuda and more. When avid anglers drop lines in the water to fish they are sure to catch the experience of a lifetime. The scream of a tightly stretched line when a game fish strikes is a pulse racing experience!
Reviewed 30 December 2013

For my boyfriend's 35th birthday, I chartered a 6-hour deep sea fishing tour with Captain Lee and Teo during our trip to Antigua. I booked based on the glowing reviews, and those reviews were right. It's a great day.

I had never really been out on the ocean, and in preparation I got the behind-the-ear patches from my doctor. Even with that, I was still fairly nauseated, but my boyfriend had a great time, and I got extra girlfriend credit for not asking to go back early. I let him do all the fishing - when I finally stepped up to the chair the fish came off the line and we never got another bite - and he was really excited. With Captain Lee and Teo's help, my boyfriend pulled in four barracuda and 2 king fish, which we gladly shared with the taxi driver from our resort and the men gathered at the dock during our return.

Amy was a joy to work with in making the reservation, and Captain Lee and Teo were great onboard.

My one word of caution is that you make sure you take and use sunblock. I forgot, and even though there's a small covering on the boat when you're not in the fishing seat, the sun came off the water pretty hot, and I ended up with a deep, deep burn on my legs to the point where it was basically sun poisoning. My fault totally, but just be aware.

Amy H, Owner at Mystic Amara III - Deep Sea & Bottom Fishing Charters, responded to this reviewResponded 1 January 2014

So glad you guys had a great time, but sorry about the sun burn!!

It is extremely hot out there on the ocean and sunblock is a must on charter.

There are newer reviews for Mystic Amara III - Deep Sea & Bottom Fishing Charters

Reviewed 24 December 2013

My husband and I chartered with Capt. Lee for a combined fishing and snorkeling trip. The day before our trip, we were contacted to see if we could postpone for a day due to the rough sea conditions....they wanted us to have the best day possible and knew the conditions would be better the next day. It was still a bit rough, but Capt. Lee knows his boat, and knows where to go fishing. We caught 3 barracuda and had a dolphin fish double header!! Awesome. We spent the last hour of our trip snorkeliNg at Cade's reef, where deckhand Theo took us on a guided tour. We've done similar trips in St. Lucia and Grenada, and our day out in Antigua was by far the best. Great people, really dedicated to making your day memorable....and we were impressed that travel time to and from the dock did not come out of our scheduled 6 hour trip. All in all, a great experience and we will be sure to charter with Lee again if we return to antigua. Thanks for a great day.

Amy H, Owner at Mystic Amara III - Deep Sea & Bottom Fishing Charters, responded to this reviewResponded 27 December 2013

So glad you enjoyed your Deep Sea / Snorkeling charter with Lee & Theo, I think they enjoyed it just as much as you did!!!

Kind Regards
Amy, Leroy & Theo

Reviewed 12 December 2013

My wife and I know nothing about deep sea fishing but it didn't matter. We hired the Mystic Amara II for the afternoon and had a great time. Having seen so many fishing trips on films it is one of those things you ought to do and the crew did their utmost to make sure everything went smoothly for us novices.

It is quite expensive but worth every penny.

TropicalVillasAnu, Owner at Mystic Amara III - Deep Sea & Bottom Fishing Charters, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2013

We are glad you had a wonderful time with Leroy & Theo, it just goes to show you don't have to be an expert!!!!!

Reviewed 22 October 2013

Leeroy, Theo and Amy - thank you! Having only fished just off the Florida Keys before, and knowing that to go true "Deep Sea" fishing/trolling there you need to power out for an hour and a half first, I didn't quite know what to expect for a 4 hour afternoon session.

The cost was very reasonable, and I also knew that the fish were "the boats" to be sold on to help with the cost, but the Captain would try and offer a fillet or two depending on what was caught. That is fine for me as my wife is a vegetarian (or was! more later on that!) so just a couple of meals worth of something I caught would do me ...

We arrived in Jolly Harbour in plenty of time, so found The Crow's Nest and the marina behind easily. In fact, as we left the car an adorable little girl asked if we were there for a tip on the Mystic Amara .. We said yes and she told us her Mum was just around the corner to greet us.

We were then greeted by Amy and had a good chat about all things British while the boat came in from its morning charter. Amy is a great person to talk to, and we got a good few tips for the rest of our holiday as well.

When the boat docked, Capt. Lee and mate Theo promptly emptied the mornings catch on the dock. 2 large Wahoo and a small/medium Mahi Mahi/Dolphin Fish. This both excited me as they were exactly what I was hoping to catch .. and also made me think, are they morning feeders? What happens if the bite goes off after 1pm?? Anyhow, it was interesting and great to see Lee barter with people to sell the fish directly from the boat (another encouraging sign, as the buyers obviously know Lee brings back fish!). Once this was one and more drinks were stocked up for our trip, we were off.

Theo immediately started rigging the lines, all of which were ready by the time we had left the harbour. What surprised me even more was that we weren't 5 minutes outside the harbour when the outriggers were put out and all the lines dropped into the water. That means that within 20 minutes of leaving the dock, we were fishing!

In total, 7 lines were out. Again, all new to me. I had seen multiple lines used in fishing on TV, but 7 surprised me. Lee and Theo obviously didn't want to miss any opportunity.

Within 5 minutes, Lee shouted "Theo!" and rod number 2 was bent right over! Theo grabbed the rod, but there was no weight on it. He pulled the line a few times, I guess to try and get whatever had bitten on it to try again, but nothing ... so he reeled it in and the ballyhoo was bitten in half.

Theo had pre-rigged another ballyhoo and within seconds the line was out again.

Well, I began to think this could be a good trip just as another shout from Lee. Theo leaped across to the other side of the boat and grabbed the rod. This time the reel was spinning around and around as whatever was on the end of it took off. Theo turned and looked at me grinning and said, "It's a good fish!" and ushered me into the fighting chair. He then passed the rod over and said "wait for the reel to stop going before you start cranking the handle!" He then went to retrieve all the other rods. The reel kept going and going .. Lee slowed the boat down and Theo brought all other lines in. Then eventually it was time to start cranking! My goodness ... it felt like I was trying to drag the boat back to Joly Harbour on 80 pound line! I hadnt anticipated how hard it would be. THEN! The fish darted off again. I hadnt retrieved more than 20 yards of line, and it was off for another 50 yards dash. "It's a great fish" Lee said, exuding excitement in his voice. I don't know how much line was out, but it took me well over 10 minutes to get it within 30 yards of the boat, then it was off again! "My God!" Lee said. This could be a Kingfish .. or a shark may have grabbed it. But that dash was relatively short. I cranked again until Lee shouted "No, Theo it's a big Bull!" The way the line felt it could have been a REAL Bull to me .. but it was a Bull Mahi Mahi. As it got closer Lee grabbed the gaff and Theo stood ready to help. One quick movement and the fish went straight from the water into the fish box. I was exhausted. Even Lee was tired, and Theo was laughing. "My first Mahi Mahi!" I said, Theo fist bumped me and Lee shook my hand. There were excited smiles all around .. even though Lee and Theo do this day in day out, you can see how much they love it!

I had hardly grabbed a drink and sat back in the very comfortable seats when Theo had all lines out again and Lee was trolling us around to get another fish. My wife could see both how exhilarated I was, and how exhausted too after all that hard work in 30 degrees sunshine.

I had literally just finished my large "energy drink" when another shout of "Theo!" came from Lee. "Oh God" I thought . "Already?"

Theo ushered me to the fighting chair again and just as he handed me the rod, another reel started screaming! Lee slowed the Amara faster this time and took the other active rod while Theo brought the others in. Again, once the fish had stopped pulling line, I started to reel it in. OMG! Partly because I was still tied from the first one, and partly because whatever was on the end was big again, I was a little slower on the reel. Lee started joking that "we are going to need a bigger boat!", and Theo was just encouraging and making me laugh through the pain! I said "Put some music on Theo, I may be while." "What music you want?" he said, and started "der-dud ... der-dud" in a Jaws themed way! This made me laugh even more! After what seemed like forever, we saw a flash of blue and silver. "Wahoo!" shouted Lee. Again, Lee gaffed and Theo stood by to help. And he had to help to grab the tail and get the fish onboard! As I relaxed, Lee looked at me and said "Don't go anywhere!" .. I had forgotten about the second rod! Lee had secured it and grabbed it to check whatever was on it was still on it. It was! OMG again! Not quite as heavy, but the first 2 fish had half killed me ... this one, even though a little smaller, may just about finish me off! I could hardly crank the reel upwards my arm was so tired. Lee could see I was struggling, so gave a help on the line itself .. which I needed. After another 10 minutes, another Wahoo hit the fish box. More shaking hands and fist bumping went on, and I headed for another "energy drink" ... sank back in the chair looked at my wife, and smiled in the way I think I would do having just finished my first ever marathon run (which will never happen!).
We were half way through the 2 hour session, and had a large Mahi Mahi, and two decent Wahoo's in the fish box. I couldn't be happier (or more tired!)
The next 2 hours brought us a Barracuda, another Wahoo, and the smallest Tuna I have ever seen. We were fishing right up until we reached the mouth of Jolly Harbour ... not a second of time was wasted.
Those four hours gave me more "bucket list" ticks than any other 4 hours could. My first ever Mahi Mahi, my first ever Wahoo, and my first ever Tuna (it was small, but it was a Tuna!).
Lee and Theo are as professional as they are enthusiastic, and great entertainment all the way too.
As we docked, Amy was there to greet us, as were a few people drinking at The Crow's Nest. The fish started hitting the dock and it was smiles all around. Pulled in quite a crowd! I was hoping for a fillet, but didn't expect what came next. Lee picked up the Mahi Mahi and said "you want to take this as it is? Or you want me to fillet it?" WOW! I was expecting the Tuna or 'Cuda ... not a fish which is worth quite a bit of money to those guys. I knew I wouldn't eat it all in the time left on the vacation, so I asked for just one fillet and said he and Theo should share the rest.
Lee filleted it for me and even then the fun didn't stop, as he took the fish's stomach and started to try and hand catch a 4 foot Tarpon who'd come to dine on the bits of unwanted fish.
It was an afternoon I will never forget. I know I will definitely charter the Mystic Amara again if I return to Antigua.
I cannot guarantee that you would catch as much as I did that afternoon...but what I can guarantee that Lee and Theo will do whatever they can to make sure you catch more than I did! In this day and age of seeing so many people stuck in a job they don't like just to pay the bills, it was a pleasure to spend time with people who LOVE what they do so much! (See the Pete2306 photos)

2  Thank Pete2306
Amy H, Owner at Mystic Amara III - Deep Sea & Bottom Fishing Charters, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2013

Pete, Pete, Pete that review makes me want to go fishing, and I don't do fishing hahahahaha

So glad you had a wonderful time and we were able to cross off a few from your bucket list.

Hope your dinners were delicious and you are still enjoying your time here in sunny Antigua

Hope to see you again to beat your record!!!

Keep Well

Amy, Leroy, Amara & Theo

Reviewed 22 September 2013

We have done several deep sea fishing trips and this was by far the best, most professional company ever. Lee and Theo were extremely friendly and very accommodating. They had plenty of drinks for us on the boat, the seats were comfortable, and it was very clean. I have never been on a boat that focused so much on maintaining the cleanliness of the boat. They never stopped working to ensure we were catching fish.

We ended up catching 4 Barracuda and 1 Mahi Mahi. They were so nice to realize when there was a little fish on the line and let my wife bring it in to make sure she had fun as well. I could not have been happier with the trip and will go back time and time again.

One of the best parts is that it was the nicest boat I have been on for a trip and the best price I have ever seen. We called ahead and it was only $400 which is unheard of. It was truly the best fishing trip ever!!!

1  Thank alex j
Amy H, Owner at Mystic Amara III - Deep Sea & Bottom Fishing Charters, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2013

Hi Alex,
Thank you for the wonderful review, we are so glad you and your wife had such a good time with Lee & Theo.
We cant wait to see you back again!
Kind Regards