“We will be back!”

SALA Samui Choengmon Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Choeng Mon
Reviewed 30 November 2013

We stayed 3 nights at SALA Samui as our mini "honeymoon" getaway. The hotel car pick up from the airport was ok (no particular welcoming feel), but the ride was quick. First impression upon arrival at the hotel was good - checkin was done at the outdoor reception sala and we were greeted with welcome drinks and refreshment towels. The lady at the reception then escorted us to our room. We stayed at the pool villa which was just as described on the hotel website and reviews. The bedroom was not huge but it felt comfortable with the simple yet elegant furnishing. The outdoor bathroom was a new experience to us, and we had the mosquito coil lit most of the time and didn't experience much problem. The private pool and sun loungers outside provided us the privacy we wanted. A minor issue was that because of the villas being attached to one another, I could hear the guests next door and smelt their cigarette smoke.

It was still the raining season but we were lucky to have some days of sunshine, so we could enjoy swimming and walking along the beach. On rainy times we enjoyed the DVDs borrowed from the resort library. We also joined a complimentary yoga class one morning.

My favourite feature of SALA was the breakfast. It was available till 11am and there was a large buffet of western and local selections. On top of that there was a made-to-order menu with egg and other dishes, as well as tea/coffee. I loved the juice bar where you can get freshly made juices and smoothies (and even a bloody mary). And in case you miss the breakfast or don't feel like leaving your room, you can still order room service breakfast until the evening (with no extra cost).

After passing by several other resorts on my short list, I concluded that SALA had the best location in terms of convenience. There is a bank/ money exchange at the corner, and there are many restaurants on the main street. There are also a few convenience stores and souvenir shops. There is a hotel shuttle to/from Chaweng but we decided not to bother as we could get all the shopping and dining done in Choeng Mon.

SALA Samui is what I would call cozy natural luxury. I normally would try different hotels if I revisit a place, but SALA will definitely be my first choice on my next Koh Samui visit!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Iris L
SALA_Samui_GM, General Manager at SALA Samui Choengmon Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2013

Dear signature "Iris L",

Thank you very much for choosing SALA Samui to celebrate your "honeymoon-getaway", and we are happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, - in particular our generous breakfast offer. Your description of SALA Samui as "cozy natural luxury" could not be more accurate, and on behalf of the entire team, -we would be delighted to welcome you back !

Reviewed 27 November 2013

We stayed at the Sala in June for one week and thoroughly enjoyed it. I've been meaning the write a review so here it is.

Our arrival was a little disappointing as there was no real sense of occasion. There wasn't a sign to say you had a arrived at the hotel and the reception is a little plain I guess. We sat at the desk and was signed in by a very polite lady, had our welcome drink but everything seemed a bit flat.

Our room was beautiful with a lovely plunge pool and a gorgeous outside bathroom. We had one issue with the room which was sorted out quickly and very graciously by the manager whose name was printed on a card in the room and invited people to call of there were any issues. The bathroom products are excellent and the outdoor shower wonderful. I read lots of reviews where people complain about the outside bathrooms in Thailand and moan about mosquitoes. I personally love it and never understand why people book without checking as it's so common out there.

The breakfast offering was one of the nicest of any hotel I have ever stayed in. Ordering from the menu every morning became the highlight of the day. The restaurant food was great and like all 5 star resorts be prepared to pay a premium (and don't complain about it on here after). The restaurant and bar were busy most evenings which really adds to the whole experience however there are plenty of nice restaurants along the beach too. The staff were delightful and one morning I wasn't feeling well and they couldn't do enough for me, making me a special breakfast and bringing me cups of ginger tea.

There is plenty to do on the beach side but the little village out the front is very nondescript really.

In summery we liked it here but I do think there are nicer places to stay on the Island.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank David M

Dear signature "David M",

Thank you very much for posting a positive review on Tripadvisor, and we are happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, in particular the breakfast -which is a very good reason to get out of bed for ! We would be delighted to welcome you back on a future occasion

Reviewed 27 November 2013

Sala Samui is one of the most excellent hotels I have ever stayed in. The quality of the rooms and the service are so over-whelmingly good that it will surely be hard to be satisfied with the standard offered in most hotels of the same category in the future!
We had booked a garden villa and were of course very happy to be up-graded to a pool villa upon our arrival. The villa was really absolutely beautiful with an amazing outdoor bathroom and even the smallest detail to make your stay pleasant and comfortable seems to have been thought of. Upon booking, I actually received a short form asking about the type of soaps and lotions and also the the type of pillow which we preferred. I was also really pleased with the evening turn-down service during which a scent diffuser was lit filling the room with the most wonderful excotic scents. We also found a flower bouquet on our bed on the first evening of our stay when we returned from dinner which really over-whelmed me.
We were a bit unlucky with the weather during our stay - it was acutally quite rainy and stormy - and I am still impressed about how the house-keeping kept the daliy havoc at bay created by the fallen leaves and twigs that ended up in the pool and the open shower and bathroom. In other words, the house-keeping was excellent, we were provided with fresh towels twice daily which I particularly appreciate during a beach holiday and the room was always impeccably clean and - certainly worth mentioning with regard to a tropical destination - free of parasites and other crawling and/or potentially nasty/unpleasant living things (not entirely free of mosquitos though, but I believe that would be to much to ask for).
Overall, the level of service was just surpassed every expectation. I had arranged a private dinner on the beach as we had a special occadion to celebrate and already before arriving, the hotel was so helpful with settling the details and threw in a complimentary cake upon arrival. My husband who knew nothing about it was quite simply stunned and it turned out such a wonderful surprise! The dinner itself was excellent as well - truly gourmet and worth every penny (ok, we paid a few of those in the end, but no regrets).
Furthermore, we also received a three-course dinner voucher one day as a compensation for the noise created by some on-going renovation at the resort (we hadn't even asked for it). So we got to enjoy the excellent Sala Restaurant for a second time.
A few more points:
- Breakfast: Unbelievable - best breakfast I have ever seen with an almost unreal choice of Western and Eastern breakfast fare.
- Drinks: Excellent cocktail bar with a good choice of classic cocktails and a number of signature cocktails which are all very well made and also a variety of (excellent) non-alcoholic cocktails, fruit shakes and smoothies.
- Super-friendly and helpful staff!!!
- Airport pick-up is maybe a bit expensive (700 Baht) given that it is only a 10 minute drive, but we quite simply wanted to relax after travelling across South-East Asia for two and a half weeks and were tired of the unpleasantness of haggeling with officious tuk-tuk drivers jumping on its prey at the airports and railway stations in every new town. We were thus well pleased to be received by our hotel and the cold towels offered in the car were a particularly pleasant surprise.
- Laundry service was rather over-priced, so venture into passing through the resort entrance and turn either right or left, you'll find a laundry service within 20 steps that charged you 30 Baht per kg.
- The surrounding of the resort is a bit sad - there is a huge construction site just opposite of the resort and the village is rather boring and deadish. If you want a little buzz, you have to take the hotel shuttle (100 Baht per person) or a taxi (300 Baht) to Chaweng. Both quite pricey for Thailand.
- Nice gift shop (a bit over-priced), Pangaea restaurant and Spa: did not try.

1  Thank Ksjehr_J
SALA_Samui_GM, General Manager at SALA Samui Choengmon Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2013

Dear signature "Ksjehr_J"

Thank you very much for posting such an extensive and detailed review on your recent stay at SALA Samui ! We are happy to read that you enjoyed the services, and that the beach dinner was the unique and magical experience it should be !

SALA Samui resort & Spa

Reviewed 23 November 2013

This is my second visit , in 2006 November I 've stayed 4 nights for my honeymoon stayed in Sala pool villas, which was wonderful, 7 years later, I thought mind as well to visit again to,celebrate my wedding anniversary.

You would think the hotel is not that new , the equipment might be getting old, as soon as you reached the room your memory just come back as if 7 years ago,excatly the same, the function and outlooking keep it as new.

May be it is low season, we were luckly upgraded into junior suite, the room is huge, but surprising that hotel is extremly care of guest feeling, they found out that we (my wife and me )both birthday during the stay, we received 2 birthday cakes, especially to my wife after the breakfast .

What can I say, we make a good choice to come back to Salasamui, for sure I will back again , We really enjoy the stay, actually during my stay weather in here is terrible, non stop rainning, but its good that I spend most of the time in my suite to enjoy the swimming in heavy rain.

Thanks all the staff in Salasamui with your lovely smile.

• Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank TBman

Dear signature "TBMan",

Thank you very much for your great review, and we are happy to read that you again enjoyed your stay with us, and that you found the hotel "just as you left it" 7 years ago. On behalf of the entire team, we are looking forwards to welcome you back a third time !

Reviewed 22 November 2013

We had a wonderful stay at SALA Samui Resort for our honeymoon. On our arrival we were given delicious welcome drinks made from tea and I was given a fragrant jasmine flower garland to wear around my wrist as a welcome. We were escorted to our room where we were shown the hotel and its amenities. There is dried guava and fresh mandarins offered in the rooms as well as a "pillow menu" in which you can pick the type of pillow you desire and housekeeping will deliver it to the room. As it was raining, my husband and I decided to relax for the afternoon in the deluxe suite we booked. There was a toddler staying next to us that was quite fussy and loud and after a day of travel we were hoping for peace and quiet. My husband called to ask to be moved and the staff was quite helpful. They had a room available in an hour. We asked if there was another type of room available now and we would pay the extra cost. The manager generously moved and upgraded us to a SALA pool villa free of charge for the 2 nights we were staying. This was a very unexpected surprise and the pool villa was spectacular. We have stayed in a few pool villas before and this pool was the cleanest we had seen. Breakfast was included in our stay and the hotel offers to deliver it to the room free of charge. This was a nice touch and although the hotel grounds and beach are beautiful, we didn't have a reason to leave the villa for our whole stay. The staff are lovely and very helpful. Anything we ordered to the room was delivered promptly. If and when we do return I would be sure to book the pool villa as it gave us the privacy and luxury that we desired and would be worth the extra cost.

1  Thank 507et

Dear signature "507et",

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review on your recent stay at SALA Samui, and we are pleased to read that we lived up to your expectations. On behalf of the entire team, we would be delighted to welcome you back in a near future,

Reviewed 19 November 2013

I recently stayed at the sala Samui with a friend.

This resort is quite special. Ten welcome is typical Thai, very friendly. The room was smallish but the outdoor area was spacious and cooling. The outdoor bathroom was interesting.. The room cleaning staff were so pleasant and so efficient. The room was spotless.

The 2 pools and the beach area were perfect. So well cleaned and maintained by attentive staff. Special mention has to made for Uam. This man is amazing. Ha made the poolside so enjoyable and relaxing throughout. And happy hour added to the funtimes!

The food was gorgeous, especially breakfast. Occasionally the chicken felt like it had been recooked, especially within rice dishes. The restaurant locations was perfect.

I enjoyed a facial in the spa. Quite expensive for Thailand and definitely the spa is not fancy. Not sure if I would return there. Not worth it relative to other spa hotels that I have been to about the world.

The main criticism that I would have to make would be that there was a big difference with the attitude that I received when I was alone versus when my friend arrived. I was alone for the first two days. Throughout this time I was invisible. I never received an a la carte menu for breakfast, had to physically find someone for coffee etc. Being served was an ordeal. This changed once I had company. This would worry me if I had been here alone, and I travel quite a bit alone.

Overall though this is a lovely hotel, on a lovely stretch of beach. Beware the Mosquitos though! They are everyplace...

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank fionadesmond
SALA_Samui_GM, General Manager at SALA Samui Choengmon Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2013

Dear signature "fionadesmond",

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review on Tripadvisor. We have taken good notice on your comments of being a single traveller, although it is a bit surprising, as we do give the same service to single guests as to couples. The only reason, might be that as we mainly have couples, and that when we approach the "single" guests in the restaurant, they normally ask us to wait with until their partner/spouse arrives, and hence there might have been a mistake in that they believed your partner was due, please accept our most sincere apologies, and thank you for pointing it out, and we will take appropriate measures. We are pleased to read that your overall stay was good, and we would also take the opportunity to welcome you back on a future stay,

Reviewed 14 November 2013

We stayed on the deluxe balcony, which is the 'cheapest room', can't believe it, great value for money. The outdoor bed on the balcony is great for reading and lazing. The beach is fantastic for tanning, it is great for a moonlight walk with your love one, even on a moonless night.
We did the Signature spa package on arrival and it make us feel great after. We did the Couple Choice spa pack too.
Of course, the breakfast is great and the shuttle to Chaweng Tops helps too for some shopping.
We love the place and we will come back to Sala Samui again, most definitely.
We like to say a great thank you to all the great service staff that really run the place.

2  Thank Photofont
SALA_Samui_GM, General Manager at SALA Samui Choengmon Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2013

Dear signature "Photofont",

Thank you very much for your positive review on Tripadvisor ! Wea re happy to read that you appreciated the services of the hotel and the attention from our staff....and with regards to the beach of Choeng Mon, you are absolutely correct that its ideal for a moonlight walk, (with or without moon) - being a secluded and romantic beach far from the "hustle and bustle",

Kind regards & welcome back !

Also consider these accommodations in or near Choeng Mon
#1 of 104 in Chaweng
Banyan Tree Samui
Banyan Tree Samui
#3 of 51 in Lamai Beach

Been to SALA Samui Choengmon Beach Resort? Share your experiences!