We stayed at Sala Samui in February this year to celebrate a big birthday. We've been to Koh Samui before and stayed at Chaweng and we wanted to be away from the hustle and bustle this time so Sala Samui was perfect. The beach is so much more peaceful than Chaweng and much cleaner as the jet-skis are kept away from the hotel beach area.
I don't really understand why people complain about the entrance area - it's a pleasant desk area where you check in: I don't really know why you'd want to spend that much time in a lobby area anyway! We were greeted on arrival with a lovely cold drink and our room was ready even though we arrived early in the morning so that was fantastic after a long journey. We were shown to our room and had a quick explanation of everything. It would have been helpful to have had a bit more information about the hotel when we arrived - maybe a little mini tour of the restaurant and pool areas to help us find out how everything worked - but we worked it out ourselves so not really much of a problem.
Our room was beautiful. We had a Garden Pool villa and the pool was fantastic - such a treat to have our own private pool - I loved it. The outdoor bath and shower was amazing - being able to shower and look at the sky was just fantastic. The bed was very comfortable - you don't need the duvet though - way too hot! A couple of the lightbulbs didn't work when we arrived so we rang housekeeping and they were replaced immediately. We also asked for extra mosquito coils and they came very quickly too. As mentioned, it would have been good to have all the little bits explained at the beginning, e.g. show us where the mosquito plug in was kept, and that the coils were replaced daily and that sort of thing. We didn't really understand the choice of pillow idea or the body lotion choices - whether we were supposed to change them daily or just get the same things the whole holiday so we just left that. Anyway, we are probably just a bit dense and the pillows and body lotion we had were fine!! It was really handy having a nice beach bag which I found in the wardrobe - nice idea. The cleaning staff and the turn-down staff were fantastic - they couldn't have been nicer and did a brilliant job. The guy who did the turn-down and left the night-time sweets often left a little note which was lovely.
I was given vouchers for spa treatments for birthday presents from friends so I had a facial, a massage and a manicure which were all good. The Clarins facial was particularly brilliant! We were also offered a complimentary thai massage for myself and my husband so that was another bonus.
The breakfast buffet was out of this world - top class. Major plus point for a hotel buffet - the coffee was very very good! I could rhapsodise about the breakfast forever - suffice to say it was wonderful. We were also given vouchers to the Thai buffet night - the food was lovely but the wine is expensive. I know it's the same all over Koh Samui because of the wine tax which is a shame. As other reviewers have said, most people go elsewhere to eat in the evenings or eat and then go off to party at the cheaper places nearby so it's a bit dead after about 9pm. It's a shame, as it's such a lovely setting, but I don't really know what the answer is - it's a 5-star hotel so you're not going to get bucket-shop prices and they're not really way over the top - it's just compared to the local places they are more expensive. If somehow they could get the place a bit buzzier in the evenings it would be nice to stay and party at the hotel as it's so lovely.
The two pools and the beach area are wonderful - beautifully kept and maintained. The staff are incredibly attentive and helpful. One day I got up to move my bed to face the sun and a gardener rushed over to do it for me before I could lift a finger. It's the same all over - the staff are such a credit to the hotel and really what make it 5-star. Every member of staff was friendly and helpful and always with a charming smile. They really helped make it a perfect holiday.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- SALA Samui Resort and Spa is a stunning deluxe pool villa resort on Koh Samui island, featuring private swimming pools in 53 out of 69 total villas and suites.At SALA Samui, a comfortable, relaxing ambiance is created by a harmonious blend of traditional Thai architecture with modern facilities and amenities. Friendly, well-trained staff pamper guests with professional, personalized service.Located on pristine Choeng Mon beach on the northeast corner of Koh Samui island, SALA Samui is just 15 minutes from the Samui airport, 20 minutes from Bo Phut's quaint Fisherman's Village, and only 15 minutes from Chaweng Beach shopping and nightlife. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Southall Travel, Booking.com, Holiday Gems, Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), Ebookers, HotelsClick, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, getaroom.com and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your SALA Samui Choengmon Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sala Samui Resort And Hotel Koh Samui
- Sala Samui Hotel
- SALA Samui Choengmon Beach Resort Ko Samui/Choeng Mon, Thailand