“Best place in Mondulkiri!”

Happy Elephant Bungalows
Ranked #4 of 14 Sen Monorom B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 July 2014

I spent a lovely time in this GH where the hospitality is friendly!!
Beautiful place in green environment, bungalows are cosy, the region is absolutly awesome... The pure life there!!
Thanks a lot, you're so great and hopefully I'll be back!!!!

1  Thank Florentine M
Virginie V, Propriétaire at Happy Elephant Bungalows, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2014

Thank you so much for your review. I m happy you had a good time in my place. Thanks

Reviewed 10 July 2014

stayed here in late may with our 2 children. the bungalows are fine, but the only thing we neede was hot Water, nice eating area. loved the advocadoes.
they are a bundle of information, which is very nice in that area., we had some wonderfull trips to hidden waterfalls, to be much recomended :) the motorbikes where a bit old, but they where working fine. so will we be bach - oh yes :)
from Annemette and famely,

Room Tip: the rooms closer to the eating area is better wifi :)
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Thank you to take time to write this revue and share your experience with other travellers. I m happy you had a good stay, and hopefully good memories!!

Reviewed 7 July 2014

I stayed there for five days and by the time I had to leave there was a certain attachment developed in me to the bungalows that I almost felt more at home there than at the real home.

The bungalows are magically charming particularly with their flamboyant owners who shine like a pair of beautiful stars casting light and joy onto even the most gloom-plagued men. The master is evidently a self-made man of prodigal knowledge of the jungles, linguistically gifted, patient at service and valiant in maneuvering his highly modified vehicle. The mistress, though of foreign origin, knows the trek routes like the back of her hand.

The bungalows are made of solid hard wood, simple and pleasant. The nights were tranquil and dotted with fireflies, and the mornings I woke up to were those of herb-aromatic. A place unrivalled by its likes.

P.S. Mot, if you do come to PP, please leave me a message.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Hello. I want to say thank you to take time to write a revue about my place. Thanks a lot for everything you ve wrote.

Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

My husband and i arrived with the bus in Sen Monorum. The first time after 20 days travelling through Cambodia ( hotels always booked in advance) but this was the only occasion wen we had a pick up at the bus station (without calling again after arrival). Our plan was to stay 3 nights however the place and the owners Vivi , Mot & Baby Enzo were so welcoming we ended up staying for 10 nights. Although Mondukiri has not much to offer beside of the beautifull nature and treks with the english speaking minority guides, the best of all in our experience was the Elephant tour. I had an Elephant all for my self and i learnt how to ride her. ( for more details please visit the forum) . All the trips were arranged by the Happy Elephant Bungalow Family and a part of the cost goes direktli to the minority community.
Also the food , especially the Schnitzel & the Guacamole was marvellous. You may have to wait a little but its worth it.
Its a great pleace to meet other travellers and have some good chats. In a nutshell a memorable experience!!!!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sandra R

Hello. Sorry for late answer, but i want to say thank you for your revue, it s always nice to see that you enjoyed your time in my place. Thanks a lot..

Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for two nights. The bungalows are very nice. Very cute and not too hot. The food and drinks are allright. A bit of a downer was that the staff really had an opinion about the elephant valley project whether you wanted to hear it or not. It made me feel a bit awkward because I did book a day at the elephant valley project and had a wonderful time. I think that everyone should make up their own mind about what project/touroperator they want to choose for without all the nasty stories they tell you about it. If they do make you doubt I would advise you to go to the green house bar and let the people of the elephant valley project tell you about what the project means, where your money goes to and what you can expect. It really convinced me, especially after the day we spend on the project and see what a great job they do

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
6  Thank PleunMarijnissen
Virginie V, Owner at Happy Elephant Bungalows, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Thank you for the review, anyway, we didn t want to make you feel bad to go to evp. As we surely told you, if you want to go there, you can go, it is your money, but we just wanted to open your eyes about what you can find on websites, etc, and the reality. As you know as a traveler, people can tell you what they want to make you come to their tour, up to you then to believe it or not. We actually don t say anything wrong about the place itself, but only about the wrong advertising...wich is differnet. Whatever, i think you had good time there and that s the most important. I m sorry that you felt incorfortable while we were talking about it, but we have to say what we believe is good for you to know!

Reviewed 2 June 2014

This is a friendly place to stay. French/Khmer owned, incredibly friendly and welcoming and fluent English spoken. Rooms are neat, clean and good value. Only 10 mins walk to town. Note no hot water but for price can't complain. The only downside was when I mentioned I had come to Sen Monoram to go to Elephant Valley Project. What followed was a very lengthy lecture about how bad EVP is, and all sorts of wild allegations about how EVP is just a money making venture (it isn't). The owner even directed my attention to one page of typed notes about how awful EVP is. I was made to feel almost guilty about planning to go there and it was extremely uncomfortable. As a paying guest it was not remotely relaxing to be almost badgered about my choice of responsible tourism. Another couple who was staying there told me the same thing happened to them and they also felt uncomfortable. I can't help but wonder if the owners were so negative as they presumably have a vested interest in obtaining commission from selling their own tickets to elephant riding ventures (which I and a number of other tourists are not comfortable with).

That said in all other respects the owners were lovely and incredibly accommodating.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank Kerry C

Hi. I m glad you had good time in my place! But i m so sorry that you found yourself unconfortable because of what we tord you about evp. Actually, that was not what we wanted, we just wanted to let you know about the differnce between the reality and what you see on internet or so... whatever, i m very sorry you felt this way, and it is actually good to know so we can improve on that for the next costumer comming! Thank you for your review

Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

It's a pretty simple place just off the main strip of town (a 5min walk). Large bungalow and bath for just $5 a night. Other than no hot water I couldn't ask for more! They were fantastic about arranging tours. Within 30 mins I had a half day ready to go, the next day planned for an elephant mahout training and bus tickets for my next stop.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Virginie V, Owner at Happy Elephant Bungalows, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2014

Thank you emilly, hope you enjoy your trip and everything is alright for you now! No bad experiences any more! Anyway, i want to thank you for your good review! Hope to see you again one day!