LEAF Cambodia Mondulkiri Elephant & Wildlife Sanctuary
Review Highlights
Great day with the elephants

I’ve really enjoyed a day visit to this sanctuary. Started with a walk through the jungle followed... read more

Reviewed 3 weeks ago
AndreaGambadoro
London, United Kingdom
via mobile
A wonderful day

We were picked up at our guesthouse. It was a little disappointing because the website said that... read more

Reviewed 14 August 2018
Charles D
Le Havre, France
via mobile

All reviews traditional hut the river day tour surrounding villages sugar cane natural environment farming methods walking freely female elephants small trek spoke good english special moment local culture natural behaviour money goes overnight stay tasty lunch
Reviewed 9 November 2015 via mobile

I did a 2 days tour with this travel agency. I told mr. Torn exactly what I wanted to do: Sleep in the village and receive some explanation about what we see along the way. I really loved the scenery but the tour was not what I expected at al. We didn't sleep in the village but in the jungle. And I made it very clear that I didn't wanted to sleep the jungle. At the end mr. Torn said that there was a festival in the village so we could not stay in the village. Kind of strange that he didn't now as a tour guide.

Mr. Torn didn't joined us in the jungle, we were with a bulong guide who spoke no English, he never understood what we were asking and could not explain anything. In the night when we were sleeping he was playing loud music and was screaming. Our tour guide did his best and was a nice guy but for us as a guide it didn't work out.

I was sleeping at another place than I arranged, I didn't got any explanation, could not ask questions and woke up a few times in the middle of the night because of the screaming and the loud music.

Although the scenery is beautiful I did not get what I expected and that was very disappointing.

Date of experience: November 2015
3  Thank Roos888
Reviewed 8 November 2015

by supporting this project you are helping local people support themselves...and you are helping the project to keep the elephants living in natural habitat...no riding ..no abuse...the most amazing thing my 2 girls and I have done....seeing and being in the hinterland of Cambodia.....perfect ..I would highly recommend to anyone.

Reviewed 25 October 2015

Hanging out with elephants for a day is awesome but for $50 we didn't really do anything. I don't know what I expected and perhaps there was a lot of hanging around because there was only 4 of us and there can be up to 15 but we arrived to observe the elephants and feel them but after abut 1 hour or so we all just sort of stood around then went back to the hut for lunch and a 2 hour nap in the hammocks. Then back to wash the elephants. it was a 9-4 day but could have done everything in 3 hours.
we had an awesome time it was just not well planned as a full day. Our guide had excellent English and was nice and helpful. Lunch was tasty.

Reviewed 22 October 2015

I had a great experience. Started the day trekking through the mondulkiri jungle where I got to visit three waterfalls (one of them really worth it), and at the end of the trekking (took almost 6 hours), we went to see an elephant and swim with it. All in all, an amazing experience.

Reviewed 21 October 2015

I decided on Mondulkiri Adventure Tours 1 day Elephant Trek because I wanted to get up & personal with a elephant and I wanted it to be community based tourism. On this trek you can ride on the elephant, which in my opinion is not hurting or stressing the animal. There is a cane basket on the elephant's back (bring a cushion because it is bl**dy uncomfortable but sitting on the elephant's neck (you know like a mahout!) is awesome. The real mahout walks along side.
On our trek from the village to the river (about 2kms) our elephant stopped many times to feed on the vegetation. The track gets a bit steep as you get close to the river but elephants are slow, careful and sure-footed so we were never concerned.
Down at the river you get off & the cane basket is removed & the elephant wanders off across the river into the dense jungle to feed by herself.
There are small grass huts with raised floors which you stay in to eat lunch. Lunch is provided (simple but tasty noodles & bottled water). A lady walked out of the jungle with her couple of small children with a bamboo backpack filled with cans of drinks (soft & beer) & some cans of tuna or other fish. $1 each & $1 per person to camp in the hut so don't forget to bring along some $1 notes.
In theory we were going to wash our elephant but the river was running fast (it was the wet season) & she decided she just wanted to frolic in the rapids, totally submerging & even floating down the river a bit. She played around for about 1.5 hours & by the time she came out we didn't have time to wash her. But who cares, it was wonderful to see her enjoying herself so much & disregarding her mahout's calls to get out - haha!
You go back to the village along a different route and your bum is happy when you get back to the village and hop off.
I loved it!