“Good Food & with a little attention to detail it could be Great”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of J.D.Young

J.D.Young
J.D.Young
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Harleston
Norfolk England
“Good Food & with a little attention to detail it could be Great”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2013

The dining area is old fashioned in style but very comfortable. Our typed menu contained spelling mistakes. This is sloppy & unprofessional. My partner had Duck Spring Rolls as a starter which were delicious. I had the prawn cocktail which was served in a lovely glass bowl but I was not given a small spoon & I had to make do with a starter knife & fork. There was no lemon & the brown bread was far too thick with huge crusts. My chicken main dish was delicious as was my partners lasagne. The waiting staff were very good. I would definitely eat there again.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Halesworth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2013 via mobile

Group of girls visited the restaurant for a evening meal, great choice of food but couple of issues: the Thai king prawn curry was unbearably hot abc the ribs were chewy. The young girl who we told just smoked and said 'sorry' in a sweet voice and very much dougt the message was passed to the chef!
However service quick and friendly so will return but without ordering the curry!

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Rebecca R
Halesworth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2013 via mobile

Group of 10 visited on a Sunday lunch for birthday! We pre-ordered yet still waited at least 30 minutes for mains! However when it did arrive it was amazing! Biggest yorkshires ever!! Will return but hope service little quicker next time!

• Stayed February 2013
Wareham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2013

I arrived early evening and was met at reception by a very professional and polite young woman (Beth). I was booked in and allocated my room in a efficient manner.

The room (6) is overlooking the town, traffic noise could be heard buy did not cause a problem, the was clean, nicely decorated and had a extremely comfortable bed.

The building is rather old but is maintained to a very high standard, some air in the water pipes caused a delay in hot water arriving to the shower, I called reception and informed them, I was immediately offered another room, I told the girl not to worry as my only concern was wasting drinking time, Beth arrived at the room moments later not only to assist but to deliver a pint of ice cold beer, THAT is service, hot water sorted and thirst quenched.

I wondered down to the restaurant and sat on the couch to do some work before dinner, a attentive waitress (Shannon) ensured I had everything I needed. I also met the duty chef (Andy) a true gentleman and very professional, he made his recommendations for dinner and went about his work.

The restaurant is very cleverly laid out, reserve a table in the corner next to the book shelves for that romantic dinner for two, or a larger centre table for that social gathering with friends. The menu offers far more than you would expect to find, I took Andy's recommendations and started with the duck rolls followed by venison pudding, both were exceptional, served by Shannon our glasses were never empty and we wanted for nothing, a pleasurable dining experience and reasonably priced.

Following a good sleep I returned to face my full English breakfast, local sausages were the highlight along with more friendly staff.

I strongly recommend this place for both overnight accommodation or a pleasant dining experience. Well done to all the team, outstanding!!!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Harleston, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2013

My wife and I arrived about 12.20pm on a Friday, sat upon a sofa and had a drink whilst we waited for our lunch. I had a half pint of speckled hen and it was a good beer. Although we weren't in a hurry, the wait for our food wasn't long. I had chicken ballentine stuffed with spinach and mushrooms. Very very tasty. The staff were efficient and friendly. I'll definitely come here again..The restaurant was stylish and well maintained. I would recommend it

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CJS52
Harleston, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2012

I am local and would not really have thought of eating here as I am so used to seeing the pub packed at weekends. However, my mother treated the whole family (8 of us) to Christmas Eve dinner here. The food choice was excellent and despite being busy everything arrived together and hot. The food had great flavour and texture and the staff were friendly and attentive. My only comment was that the wine list was limited -although the Sancerre we had was excellent. There is a Monday night disount and I will not hesitate to eat here again in future.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Sammie C
Dunstable, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2012

We were staying nearby & went to the restaurant one evening. It has 2 menus and a specials board to choose from. It was a very enjoyable meal, well presented very tasty with friendly waiting staff. We ate here on a Monday which currently has a special offer of 25% your food bill. Worth a visit.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mamamia077
Also consider these accommodations in or near Harleston
Scole Inn
#1 of 1 in Eye
The Swan Hotel
The Swan Hotel
#4 of 7 in Harleston

Been to J.D.Young? Share your experiences!