“Overpriced due to lack of competition”
Review of J.D.Young

J.D.Young
J.D.Young
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Harleston
Reviewed 13 October 2013

The rooms are tiny. It's an old building so that's fair enough, but 98 pounds for a cubicle where you can barely find space to put down a suitcase? This place is right on a main road and there is no double glazing on the windows. Breakfast service ends at 08.30 would you believe? Whereas the restaurant food and breakfast seems OK the vegetarian option was a total disgrace. It was supposed to be a Pumpkin and pepper strudel. It was more like re-heated tinned tomatoes wrapped in a couple of papadums...truly awful! Wine list was poor too I'm afraid with a small selection of unimaginatively chosed overly alcoholic "bully-boy" new world wines.

Room Tip: If you go closer to the coast the hotels, restaurants and pubs get a lot better...and better value.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank rhabout

Reviewed 18 September 2013

Comfortable room (excellent bed!), and decent-sized bathroom. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was very good, but I generally felt that the hotel/pub is rather over-priced (the difference between double and single occupancy of a double room indicates that breakfast is priced at around £25).

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 September 2013

We stayed for one night at this hotel while visiting friends in the area.
Our room was clean, well decorated and perfectly adequate for one night.
We only had breakfast so can only comment on this meal which was very good.
All the staff we came into contact were friendly and very obliging.
The public areas are also very clean and comfortable, we would stay here again, but like most hotels in this rather over-rated area it is about £20 per night over-priced.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 August 2013

I was looking for a hotel with a decent restaurant to take my wife to for one night (Sunday) as a thank you! I saw this hotel on the internet and looked at the menu which suited both our tastes and was quite extensive so I decided to book having seen all the reviews on this site. The hotel was exactly as the website indicated and the reception staff were very friendly and quickly allocated our room. The room itself was fine although looking out onto the main road. It was well appointed but the bathroom could have had a bit of TLC but it was OK. One annoying aspect was that WiFi was not available in the rooms but was free in the bars downstairs which seemed strange that the non paying customer had access but the paying one didn't in the room! The extensive menu was in the room and we decided to take up the opportunity to eat here.
We ventured out into Harleston and was surprised to see quite a lot going on. On returning to the hotel we decided to dine about 8pm and I was looking forward to choosing from the menu - what a dissappointment. We were informed by the waitress that the menu was not available as it was Sunday and that an alternative was available which to be honest I would have expected form a local cafe. There was no mention in the room or on the website that this was the case and that the full menu was not on offer and had I known this I would not have stayed here. From the choice I ordered the gammon with eggs, mushrooms, salad and hand cut chips and my wife ordered the roast beef.
The eggs on my gammon where fried hard, the mushrooms looked like they had been boiling in a pot all day and the hand cut chips looked like they were straight out of the scraps bin from the local chippie, they were never hand cut. My wife's roast beef was very stringy and the roast potatoes were not fresh they had obviously been warmed up and the Yorkshire was just to impress due to its size one stab and it shattered into small pieces. The only saving grace was the fresh vegetables. The waitress came over and did the 'is everything OK' and when we pointed out the situation it was 'OK I'm sorry due you want to change' well considering we waited nearly and hour for this it seemed pointless.
The bed was comfortable but in the morning (Bank Holiday Monday and looking forward to a lie in) someone decided to switch on a washing machine which carried on for some considerable time causing vibrations throughout the room, very annoying.
Breakfast was fine with freshly cooked food and a mile away from the evening menu.
To sum it up we would stay at the hotel but look for somewhere else to eat especially if it was a Sunday night, so my message to the manager of JD Young please make it clear what food is available and on what date so the customer can make an informed choice.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 August 2013

We reserved seven rooms, stayed here as we were at a family wedding in the area.

To be fair, we didn't see much, checked in, went to the wedding, came back late, had breakfast, checked out.

Every room was different, some had air-con, ours did not, some reported a powerful shower, ours was a trickle, however we all agreed that the beds were comfy, I slept well until the delivery lorry started unloading at the Co-Op across the road at 07:30 (on a Sunday morning )....

Parking was very difficult, we arrived in five cars, we managed to get one parked at the hotel, the remainder scattered around the village, I asked why we couldn't park and was told it was because the bar was showing football on the TV, not really my problem if I have booked at a hotel that advertises plentiful free parking.

Breakfast was ok, nothing special but very edible. All of the staff that I encountered were friendly.

Each room cost £98, we all thought it was overpriced.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 August 2013

I have been to youngs before about 2 years ago and food was so good we though we would return again to treat our daughters out for a nice meal, but was disappointed my husband plate was so full it was more like a pub meal also the steak was dry and this was medium done, and my slow roasted belly pork was not very tender which should have been if it was done as said on the menu, will not be returning.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank BungayCustomer
Reviewed 26 July 2013

This large old inn in the centre of the Norfolk village of Harleston has been lavishly refurbished. The walls of dining room and reception have been completely panelled with maple (I'm guessing) and the rooms are tastefully decorated with comfortable beds and well fitted modern bathrooms. Very little seems original, but it was probably never a luxurious building. It is certainly impressive for a village B&B and the staff are mostly very professional. I would certainly recommend this place for a short break or for business travellers. It is not cheap but I felt it was fairly good value, given the delicious breakfast. There is also ample parking.
On the downside, our room was very hot and airless although the windows did at least open. The village is pleasant but not exactly a beauty spot although the surrounding countryside is lovely in places. I would highly recommend the area for cyclists. It is not completely flat but it is easy to get around. I stayed here after the Dunwich Dynamo overnight cycle ride, which is well worth seeing if not participating in. More info here: http://longroadhardlessons.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/the-dunwich-dynamo.html

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Harleston
Best Western Brome Grange Hotel
Ufford Park Woodbridge Hotel, Golf & Spa
The Oaksmere
The Oaksmere
#1 of 1 in Eye

Been to J.D.Young? Share your experiences!