“Beware the Owner!!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of South Elmham Hall Bed & Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Harleston
South Elmham Hall Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #3 of 7 Harleston B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“Beware the Owner!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2014 via mobile

My father and Step mother held their wedding reception here a few days ago.

I'd like to start off by saying how lovely the venue is and the adjoining b&b it truly is in a picturesque setting. The waiting/bar staff were fantastic, incredibly courteous and no request was too much. However, I feel I must report the abysmal behaviour of the owners, actually when I say owners I mean the woman (Nicole I think) as the man too was lovely.

Firstly, as other reviews on here have indicated, before the money was paid she was sweetness and sunshine, nothing was too much trouble, but once the full amount was sent a jekyll and hyde effect seemed to take place. The bride and her bridesmaids were to be staying in the b&b both the night of the wedding and the night prior and the bride had organised with the woman to have a few drinks and nibbles at the venue the night before while we were putting the final touches to the decorations. Well, when we arrived with our bits and pieces we were informed that she had changed her mind and if we wanted to carry on our evening there we would have to pay for corkage of the wine (which is reasonable) of up to £20 per bottle (which is not reasonable) as you can imagine my step mother was rather upset as she had organised a lovely evening to then be told, er...actually...no! And this was just the start of it. The next day, after we had all got ready we headed off to the church, the previous night's debacle almost forgotten. However, when my step sisters and I arrived back to our rooms we found them to not only have been serviced (as you would expect) but all of our things had been moved and the unopened bottles of wine ect that we were unable to drink the night before had been 'confiscated' and replaced with a snotty note stating that we would get them back when the bar closed at midnight!! I was planning on spending alot of money in the bar that evening as were other members of my family but after this incident we all refused to spend a single penny more in this business! Now I don't know about anyone else but I found this to be unacceptable behaviour and am tempted to report the matter to trading standards!

I continued to hear ever escalating tales of horror about this woman as the night went on from various people who had the displeasure of meeting her before so I urge anyone reading this and thinking of booking any sort of function at this venue to please take heed of what I, and other people, have written as I would hate for any other people to have their special day ruined by this horrible woman!! Again I would like to point out that all the other members of staff were fantastic and obviously took pride in delivering great service, its just a real shame that their hard work was eclipsed by someone so unpleasant.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Becky H

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Midlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

I stayed at this charming place with my husband and a few of my friends. We were cylcing on a coast to coast ride and this was our last stop. We arrived to a very warm welcome, an extremely clean room and the hosts even washed our cycling kit, having it clean and dry for the following morning. The bed was cosy and the breakfast amazing. I cannot fault the hosts, the accomodation or the beauty of the place. Would recommend to all and wouldnt hesitate to stay there again

Room Tip: All 3 rooms I saw were beautiful
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Worlington, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

I attended a wedding here and felt uncomfortable from start to finish. The place is amaxzing, everything you would look for in a venue, the problem was the owner. I couldnt believe that someone who would organise a wedding would be so rude to people who attend it. Having made several very rude comments to guests, family members etc I came into contact with the owner when the bar would closed for 30 minutes or so during the meal. I decided to ask if I could get a some drinks for my children, wife and I and was told that I would have to wait until the end of the meal as if the bar opened for me it would have to stay open for everyone, an odd response I thought. As a result the owners (who I believe are husband and wife) were the most talked about couple of the day, for all the wrong reasons. I havent spoken to my friend about this but from the outside they looked very upset and dissapointed at how everyone was treated. I hope I dont have to go to another one here...

Room Tip: Try to avoid the owners...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank kennel2a
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

We got married at this venue - it was a beautiful place but is really let down by the incredibly rude owners, who are more than happy to take your money - after which they become incredibly rude and go out of their way to be awkward on your wedding day. They even made us turn away two guests that read their invitations wrong! If you want a stress free wedding day, do not choose this venue!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Lucy K
Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

We have just had a weekend at South Elmham Hall as we were attending a family wedding which was being held there. What a fabulous place, the wedding venue which is in a barn is an amazing setting. The rooms in the house are excellent with amazing history, and the owners Nicole and John go out of their way to make your stay special, they work so hard and run a farm as well! The breakfast is one of the best we have ever tasted. Stay at South Elmham Hall you will not be disappointed!

Room Tip: We had Room 5, an amazing massive room with four poster bed - fabulous
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MrsHHampshire
Lincoln, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2013

We had our wedding reception here last August and after reading some review on here I felt I should share our experiences also.
We fell in love with the place as soon as we saw it and booked it over a year in advance. We booked all the rooms for the wedding night and the night before as my family travelled from Leicester. It was incredibly handy for my grandparents who can't walk too far. Each of the rooms is diffferent, yet all have a really cute aspect to them.
The breakfast was amazing and on the morning after the wedding we had a family breakfast, with all who stayed in the rooms, plus my new in laws. This was lovely. Fresh fruits, cooked breakfast and very caring about how you like things.
The food for the wedding too was gorgeous. We were lucky enough to have a tasting session, one Sunday and we were truly spoilt. Nicole's advice too and timings ensured everything ws relaxed and ran perfectly.
This is a hot spot for walkers and certainly would love to come here again. Very impressive!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
cambridge
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2011

Wow what can I say... if you are considering booking your wedding here or just a weekend at the B&B I can not fault Batemans Barn. A family run business by Nicole and her husband John two of the most kind and honest people you will ever have the pleasure of meeting. We had our wedding here on the 14th May 2011 and We both fell in love with the place from start to finish. The staff are so lovely and Nicole was perfect for calming my crazy nerves and brilliant at entertaining my crazy decorating ideas...there were no corners left undecorated and they were more than willing to help put it all out. Metres and metres of bunting, flowers galore, hearts,photos you name it we had it! We stayed in the hall for 2 nights and it was the most comfortable sleep I have ever had in a guest room and then the bridal suite. Everything at the wedding went like clockwork and this is down to the amazing organisational skills of the staff here. The food is totally amazing I have never had such lavish cakes and afternoon tea! There was more than enough for our 60 guests and everyone is still raving about how amazing it all was.
Nicole acted like my PA the whole time running after me sewing my dress up so I could carry on dancing without falling over after the lovely pink champagne! I have no negative things to say about this venue at all except that we didn't stay longer. My mum and her husband have since been back to show Nicole photos and my husband and I plan on returning for one of the brilliant cooked breakfasts (with extra mouth watering mushrooms)
The grounds are beautiful here the venue is very well kept and there is nothing too big or small for the staff to deal with. The wedding was amazing value and would expect to pay much more having had our big day here. They all seem to really enjoy doing weddings and when it rained the inside was all ready for our guests. If ordering flowers I recommend the local florists in Bungay "New beginnings" Susan and Lorraine are brilliant. Hairdressers Jo and her team at Redz in Bungay was amazing!
The Hall is beautiful with huge floorboards and wonderful photos on the wall it has been restored beautifully and tastefully. The Hall and Barn are set away from the town of Bungay and villages so you really feel like your the only people in the world on the day.
I wouldn't change a thing about our wedding day and we can not wait to go back....

Room Tip: All the rooms are lovely you won't be disappointed
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family