“Heartily recommend this lovely place and people!”
Review of The Black Swan

The Black Swan
Ranked #11 of 27 Restaurants in Harleston
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 2 August 2014

We just got home from The Black Swan and we are feeling as if we have celebrated out 33rd Wedding anniversary in style. It's a beautiful building with lovely surroundings and a secluded garden where we sat and had pre-dinner drinks.

We moved in to the restaurant and it was well laid out, with the tables far enough apart to mean that people moving around did not have to make diners get out of their way, but close enough to feel friendly. We were shown to a table - but it was opposite the desert display and I'm on a Slimming World campaign at the moment so asked if we could have a different table, please. We were immediately given the choice of two other tables and gratefully chose one.

I had already scoped out the menu before booking, so knew that I was going to try the "bush tucker" food and after a delicious (not breaded!) whitebait starter, I chose the Safari Grill for my Main. My Husband had the Chorizo and Chicken and the Rib Eye steak, with Lobster, for main.

The Safari Grill included chips, fried onions and onion rings, which I asked them not to give me and they offered me mashed potatoes or salad instead. The main event on the plate consisted of 4 oz (nominally - I'm sure there was more than that!!) steaks of Springbok, Crocodile and Wildebeest. Beautifully rare-cooked, as requested, these were absolutely delicious. The Springbok is what I will choose next time as it is tender, juicy and tasty. Crocodile is like chicken, meh, and wildebeest is also delicious, but a little closer textured. A plateful of delight.

My Husband's steak was done to perfection and the lobster was grilled to a turn and very tasty indeed.

We decided that we would indulge in a desert, too, and My Husband wanted a change to the cheese and biscuits option - he asked for a piece of stilton, some crackers, a small salad and some of their delicious sweet onion chutney, and a glass of port, without all the other delicious cheesy offerings! They did this without hesitation and with good grace.

I enjoyed the raspberry compote with superb ice cream - still keeping (mostly) to my Slimming World meal plan!

The staff were friendly, patient, attentive, pleasant, helpful and classy. The food was outstanding and the bill including 5 glasses of the excellent Merlot, was reasonable at £45 per head. It should be born in mind that my main course was £25 before we added on all the other bits and pieces!

I could not recommend this venue more highly. Go there - take a chance on the exotic meat dishes - or just have one of their huge burger choices - you WILL enjoy yourself!

Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

7 of us went there one Saturday evening - ,big mistake ! Waited over one hour for starters, then mains came .....all with dry oven chips and peas. Steak was overcooked ( even though it was asked as medium rare) but what really got my goat ...who does the boss really think he is!!!!! After we had sat waiting for nearly an hour for our starters he wandered over and stated that our starters would be with us in the next 5 minutes. No apologies, no sincerity - that in my book is no manners nor respect for his customers. We then ordered a couple of desserts and coffees - no coffees came and we had to prompt for them. We left unsurprising as one of the last customers and walked out passing the manager. Not a word! No thank you for coming, no apologies for the delays - but given our past conversation, no surprise. Such a pity this could be a great place to drink, dine and enjoy as it is in a great location in a great little village but with a manager that does not care about his customers many if us won't be going back

2  Thank peter s
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We called in for lunch during a walk along the banks of the River Waveney. The welcome from the staff was friendly and we were made to feel at home. Service and food quality were both good, and the garden was sunny and warm. Percy (not the pub's cat) was luxuriating in the sunshine. The only negative aspect was the price which seemed a bit high for 3 soft drinks and 3 bar snacks. However, worth trying and we will probably return.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Eight of us recently had lunch after a 5 mile walk. Everything was just as it should be; service, food and value for money were just right. Definitely worth a detour for lunch.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

We went to the Black Swan for a friend's birthday having not been here for many years. There is something for everyone on the menu, I decided to opt for the vegetarian option of Grilled Goat's Cheese, followed by Aubergine and Walnut bake and both dishes were delicious! It's also definitely worth mentioning that, in addition to a number of more traditional dishes, the Black Swan also offers more exotic meats such as kangaroo, crocodile etc so it's well worth a look at their menu online if you feel tempted! The service was excellent, not intrusive but very attentive and polite and also, we felt, the food was reasonably priced. We'll definitely be going back (especially now the weather's getting better as they have a beautiful garden with plenty of seating)