“Nice surprise!”

J.D.Young Hotel Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 26 Restaurants in Harleston
Price range: US$7 - US$22
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Bar Scene, Child-friendly, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Nice surprise!”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

I've passed this restaurant/pub so many times but never visited before. We all had very good lunches - tasty, freshly prepared and good value. We were given various menus to look at - the choice was extensive! However, most of us opted for the lunch specials menus which was £6.95 for 1 course, another £2 for 2 courses and the same again for 3 courses.
My lamb hotpot was very tasty and came with separate vegetables, other people's smoked salmon linguine was also very good.
My sticky toffee pudding was huge, yummy and came with loads of toffee sauce and ice cream.
There were some good beers on offer as well!
I shall return!

1 Thank LKB26

Diss, United Kingdom
“Wicked Wednesday!”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Wicked Wednesday offer allowing us to get 2nd meal for £2! Very geedvalue, lovely food and excellent staff!

Visited May 2014
2 Thank Cathy C
Harleston, United Kingdom
“Dinner with friends”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Had dinner with two friends I hadn't seen for 10 years and booked J.D. Young's as it was a Monday night and not everywhere near me is open or cooks on a Monday. Staff very friendly and obliging but meal not so good. Had some sort of chicken Kiev but it was dry and not very tasty. I have eaten in the bar on other occassions, probably not a Monday and it hasn't been too bad. Would not book the restaurant again on a Monday and would not recommend it either..

1 Thank Susan S
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Another Triumph!”
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Anyone who is a Vegetarian in Norfolk knows that’s it’s not easy to find a decent vegetarian meal (the Half Moon at Rushall being a notable expeption). JD Young at Harleston offer several really good veggie dishes plus also vegetarian alternatives of meals from the main menu. What a delight to actually have a choice for once!

Generous portions, well prepared and tasty food, and staff that are incredibly helpful and courteous.

Once again a very enjoyable meal, thank you JD Young.

1 Thank Hedgehogge
Harleston, United Kingdom
“Bad Experience”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Went to JD couple of weeks ago to celebrate a colleagues retirement. there were 29 of us who all pre-ordered meals. My choice was soup of day no idea what soup until presented. followed by lasagne and chips quite simple meal. Soup was thai green veg soup not something i would have ordered. it was edible. My main meal however was poor my lasagne was stodgy and dry hot in middle cold on outside. Chips were inedible they had certainly not been freshly cooked they were limp and barely warm. not uniform in shape in fact they appeared to be like the dregs from the bottom of a bag of frozen chips.All chips served that evening were the same. I was given a complaint form after my meal which I filled in as yet have heard nothing from Hotel. There were several other issues with food I colleague had a curry complained about taste was returned to kitchen to be spiced up came back no difference offered another meal but by this time others have finished there meals so refused. Meaning she did not have a meal Received a refund. Three or four people had what was supposed to be a blackcurrant cheesecake it was certainly blackcurrant coloured but no taste at all. All customers received refund on these desserts.
Also beware if you are a large group over 15 you will not be allowed to book tables on special offer evenings. ie Mad Monday Wicked Wednesday...

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank Mary H
Beth G, Manager at J.D.Young Hotel Restaurant, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Thank you for your review.
I've spoken to our staff who worked closely with your table on the evening and the feedback we received was very positive. I can assure you that all of our chips are cut daily and cooked to order. Regarding the curry this is a personal preference, another member of your party also ordered curry and thoroughly enjoyed it. We understand that all matters were dealt with on the evening in a polite and professional manner. We were not informed of any other issues before you departed our establishment.