“Christmas party time”

Duffy & LeBan at Chameleon House
Price range: US$13 - US$33
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Chameleon House Restaurant is currently closed. The restaurant is available to rent to a Chef with vision, experience and passion who loves cooking and appreciates the hard work required to establish a good restaurant business. 'Rooms at no three' Chameleon House Is a separate business and is very much Open for business.
Reviewed 9 December 2013 via mobile

This was our Christmas works party night. We had the most fabulous evening. On arrival we were met by the lovely staff and shown to our table. Our drinks order was taken and the glasses were never empty, the champagne was delightful. Our meals were delicious and the service was great. The choices on the menu catered for all tastes. The food presentation lovely. Throughout the evening the staff were very attentive, friendly and professional. The atmosphere in the restaurant was wonderful. Everyone enjoying their evening. We were not rushed and had our table for the night. This was my first time here but I shall be returning and I will certainly recommend Chameleon House to all my family and friends. Thanks to everyone for making our evening so brilliant. Merry Christmas.

Reviewed 23 October 2013

We have since my last review used the Chameleon many times and have even hired it out for a party, and every time we have not only had fantastic service but the food has been first rate.
After our party I did a little poll from the guests and all of them I asked (14) without exception said everything was first class.
Like all restaurants not everyone will be happy all the time, but this one comes closest.

Reviewed 20 October 2013

We decided to visit this restaurant subsequent to reading a review about in the Daily Telegraph. The place is nicely laid out and the staff were pleasant.

The menu is really quite thin on choices - particularly the main courses. Compared with, say, the not too far distant Ivy House at Stradbroke and Fox & Goose at Fressingfield it is way behind but not in prices. Our starters were okay but nothing to write home about. My partner had a main course of mussels which was supposed to be with frites but there were none. My sirloin steak was fairly small and thin and not too tender. For desserts I had a chocolate bread and butter pudding - this was inspiring. My partner had the parfait which, again, was passable.

Would we go again? Probably not because - as shown above - there are better places witha wider choice within easy distance.

2  Thank Keith M
Ginni A, Owner at Duffy & LeBan at Chameleon House, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2013

Thank you for your comments and we are disappointed you found us to be only average.
In response, we are very sorry your table was obviously overlooked to check if everything was OK, which would have given you the opportunity to say that your fries had been forgotten, and that you were not satisfied with your 6oz steak.
In our restaurant that does not run with a large brigade of chefs, the menu is best kept small and fresh, On the day you came for lunch there was a choice of 9 main courses, 7 on the menu and two specials, as well as starters and sandwiches. Everybody has their own opinion on how much choice they need, and for you that wasn't sufficient, for others it's plenty. We aim to be a relaxed, unpretentious place to eat as highlighted in the Telegraph, not a fine dining experience like the very established restaurant you chose to compare us with.
On the up side delighted you loved the chocolate bread and butter pudding.

Reviewed 7 October 2013

If 'chameleon' is an animal that changes to match the environment, we hope that the restaurant in Harleston doesn't live up to its namesake. Chameleon House is superb, so don't go changing. The atmosphere and service were matched by the stunning food. Many thanks for a great night.

2  Thank Alan H
Reviewed 2 October 2013

I eat in a lot of good restaurants and was totally unimpressed by the food, the service and the general ambiance.
I would not visit the Chameleon House again mostly because the waiting staff appear to think they are superior to their customers, (without which they wouldn't have a job).
They look down there noses at you and come across as very condescending, when I needed a particular dish explaining to me.
In summery I would never go back to this restaurant !

1  Thank Iain H

It has taken some time to decide whether or not to respond to this and the one written on 20th September...if you read carefully both conclude with 'In summery'
All we can say is after checking with our staff working on those dates, there is no recollection of the events written about happening. We are a very small friendly team, why would we not explain a dish to a customer?
As for the ambience, fortunately the majority of our customers love the real fires, tasteful decor, fresh flowers and lively music.
We are unaware of any complaint being made to the waitress who served you on 'your visit' to Chameleon House.
We welcome constructive comments from our customers, but pride ourselves on running a relaxed friendly restaurant.