“Great stay and hospitality”
Review of Hotel Tony

Hotel Tony
Ranked #41 of 282 Hotels in Athens
Reviewed 7 November 2013

We (3 adults) recently stayed at Hotel Tony.
It was great stay for us, very nice rooms. Owner Tony is very nice, gave us good travel advices and made sure we had good stay there.
He stayed at room with 3 beds first, which was very clean and brand new. Then Tony upgraded us to apartment room with the prices of room with 3 beds when it became available so that my parents and I had separate bed room. This was very nice as well. Brand new, very clean and lot of space.
Location is good, very close to Acropolis.
Thanks Tony

1  Thank Yumyum145

Reviewed 6 November 2013

My sister and I met at Tony's after long flights from Montana and Chicago and felt his warm welcome from the start. ( Even before getting there we found his website very helpful.) Our room was in the new, beautifully renovated section with very up-to-date bathroom and kitchens, a terrace/balcony, good beds, TV and lighting. The location is also a big plus--within walking distance of good restaurants, coffee shops and a laundramat--and the Parthenon and Acropolis Museum! Tony's son was also very warm, helpful and knowledgeable, as was the taxi driver they arranged to the airport (fixed rate) Summary--great room, service, location and a warm welcome!

Reviewed 2 November 2013

Tony met us at the door and helped with our luggage. The hotel was spotless and our room immaculate. It was convenient to cafes and a walk to the Parthenon. Tony arranged for transportation from the port to the hotel, and again from the hotel to the airport. Exactly what we had hoped for.

Room Tip: We stayed in the "studio" which is around the corner from the hotel. Newly remodeled with...
Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 October 2013

HEALTH VIOLATION- The room/bathroom that we stayed in would have been considered a health violation in the US where I am from. Mold/ Mildew growing on the ceiling of the bathroom is a huge health risk especially for my kids who have allergies and asthma, and it was also just plain disgusting to feel so dirty even after you just took a shower. Of course, Tony tried to tell us it wasn't mold, but I am not stupid. You could smell the musty mold as soon as you walked in the bathroom, not to mention black spots all over the ceiling are clearly mold and once you take a shower you realize from the water dropping off the ceiling that the mold is there because the bathroom literally has zero ventilation built in. If you want ventilation, then you have to open this little window that allows people from the hall to look right into your bathroom. Not to mention, the bathroom is just dingy and gross and so small. There is no shower curtain and the shower is so miniscule that water goes everywhere.... it really is a terrible experience if this isn't what you are accustomed to. We chose to shower both of our kids in the public shower just outside our room because the bathroom wasn't worth the risk. Typically I would never use a public shower, but luckily we were the only ones on the floor and that public bathroom didn't have the mold and mildew that our bathroom had and it to be fair it was decently clean. Tony was a nice enough guy but unfortunately wasn't willing to work with us whatsoever to resolve our situation. He said there were none of the "nice new renovated rooms" available and that the only thing he could do for us was put our name on the list for a free room when we came back!! Ha, Tony is definitely a smart guy because he knew we were never coming back and that that offer would be worthless to us, and he absolutely refused to give us the free night on the spot considering the condition of our bathroom was unacceptable. Giving us our money back on one of the nights would have been reasonable and fair, but Tony refused. The other thing that I had a problem with was that the soap wasn't prepackaged which I found to be a bit concerning considering all hotels have wrapped soap so that you know it is new and fresh. And there was no elevator so we had to walk up three flights of stairs to get to our rooms. As far as the rest of the room, it wasn't luxurious but it wasn't terrible either. I personally still wouldn't stay their again in this particular room even if the bathroom wouldn't have been an issue because I want a little more comfort on my vacation. I can't speak of the nice new renovated rooms though. Let me just reiterate what other people have wrote that we didn't pay enough attention to before we booked this hotel. Make sure you know exactly which type of room (newly renovated or not?) you are getting before decide to take a chance on this hotel. The pictures on this sight are misleading because there is only one hidden picture of the bathroom we got in the very middle of the pack of pictures. You literally would have to look through every single picture to see it, because most of the pictures are of the nice new renovated rooms. Well, I hope this review saves at least a few families from being put in the same circumstance that we found ourselves in. Thankfully, we were only in this hotel two nights toward the end of our vacation, because it would have ruined our entire vacation had we only stayed in this one hotel. I will be posting my pictures of the mold/mildew so that I can do my absolute best of warning people of what they are paying for. Happy and safe travels to all.

8  Thank Ashley F
Reviewed 25 October 2013

In a few words, Hotel Tony is the BEST !! Tony is very helpful and friendly and can make your stay in his hotel worth it. Tony provided me with a map and what places i should visit, he arranged me a taxi to the airport, he showed me in which restaurants i should eat (he will tell you how to reach there without street names, 2 blocks straight, turn left .... something like this).
I stayed in the new part of the hotel, very nice studios.
What is the best about this hotel is that it is close to all the nice places to visit, it is very close to the Acropolis ( 5 minutes walking ) and close to the new Acropolis Museum.

Room Tip: Rooms in the new part of the hotel are very nice.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank Bechara K
Reviewed 24 October 2013

We stayed two nights at hotel Tony and were very happy. Tony very helpful in arranging taxi, giving advice on hwat to see, where to eat. Hotel is within walking distance of acopolis, plaka, Acropolis museum and the parliment buildings. We were in the new part of hotel rooms were comfortable and pretty quiet as the building is on a little used side street

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 October 2013

Hotel Tony is the real thing. A spotlessly clean, inexpensive, family run hotel in the heart of Athens – a home away from home. Tony is a hands-on owner, always willing to help a needy tourist. Whether it’s arranging a taxi to the airport, giving tips on local restaurants and merchants, or giving brusque but accurate directions by simply gesturing (without naming a street): “Three over that way, one down!” “That way! Keep going straight!” The hotel is in Koukaki district, a working class neighbourhood within walking distance of The Acropolis and most other attractions. Our spacious room was in the newer annex: balcony, kitchenette, and a comfortable bed. There is a wonderful bakery just down the street and many good inexpensive restaurants nearby. Tony recommended the Ambrosia and Pizzeria Romas – both excellent. For a special treat, make reservations at Strofi, an upscale restaurant where you can enjoy dinner on the roof overlooking The Acropolis.

Room Tip: It's not a big hotel. Reserve well in advance. Ask Tony to arrange taxi to and from the hotel.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends