“Great Show, loved it”

Ranked #83 of 325 things to do in Athens
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: See traditional Greek dances in this 800-seat garden theater.
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We visited Dora Stratou in June while visiting Athens and we very impressed with the show. I note a couple of other reviews mention an inappropriate skit. Well they must have changed the show because we saw nothing like that and would have no hesitation taking children along.

The night we visited there were a few showers around and the organisers were concerned the wooden stage were being to too slippery to perform. But the showers held off, the stage dried and the show commence only 15 mins late. I was also pleasantly surprised that there were no restrictions on photos, even using flash.

The show consists of a number of different dances from the island s and Greek mainland. Each set has its own dress and is most colourful, especially the girls. One of the last dances consisted of a male dancer who dances while pivoting on one leg connected to a companion with a handkerchief. Great strength and great control.

Not the easiest place to find but will worth the effort. Its just a shame that on the night of our visit the dancers probably outnumbered the audience.

5  Thank HawkerAustralia

Reviewed 26 August 2013

I have visited Athens 6 times but only managed to fit in a visit to the Dora Stratou Theatre this year. It was a very worthwhilst experience with traditional music and dancing from villages and islands all over Greece. The costumes and dancing was superb and the music sung and played with great passion. It was a nice experience to walk up to the theatre as dusk fell and the views over Athens were breathtaking. It was also nice to see this event in an open air theatre with good facilities such as drinks and snacks shop and a book and DVD stall for momentoes of the event.

4  Thank MikeDonnelly
Reviewed 12 August 2013

I visited the Dora Stratou Greek Dances Theater on Thursday 18 July with my young children (all under 10 years old), my mother-in-law and husband. There were only approximately 100 persons in the 800+ theater (50 of whom were members of the Greek military who I believe were given free passes) and we were able to get seats in the very front row. Tickets cost E15 for adults, E5 for older children and free admission for younger children. I want to be clear that the dancing, costumes, music and choreography of most of the performance was fine. Unfortunately, during the middle of the performance two men who were dressed in folk costumes performed simulated sex as part of their skit. I don't want to be too graphic about the content of this sexual act, but it lasted for approximately five minutes and was of an especially sick and obscene nature that was completely inappropriate for young children... and I mean "completely" inappropriate! As we were seated in the front row, it was impossible to avoid and ruined what should have been a fun family evening about traditional Greek dancing.

Following the performance, I made contact with the management of the theater to discuss the suitability of this "skit" being included inside a performance of traditional Greek dancing. I made one simple request, namely to please include a warning to parents on their website when a performance is going to include simulated sex of a graphic nature between two men. Instead of attempting to address my concerns, the theater management showed no respect and dismissed my concerns as the view of "only a single individual's protest." Please feel free to contact me if you would like to see a copy of their full email response. Instead of treating my concerns seriously, the management proceeded to lecture me about how to educate my own preschool age children, saying that in his "opinion... there is absolutely no harm in talking about sex to children in a healthy way - and there is no better way than joking about it." How can you rationally argue with someone who insists on lecturing you about the suitability of a simulated sex act being performed in front of little children?

For that reason, I cannot recommend the Dora Stratou Theatre as it is not "family friendly" and may contain "adult material" that is completely out of character to the spirit of traditional Greek dance. Families such as mine came to the Dora Stratou Theatre to see traditional Greek dancing and not simulated sex between two men.

24  Thank ILoveFermanagh
Reviewed 30 July 2013

We were excited to take three other families along with us to what I expected to be a lovely night of Greek folk dancing and amazing hand made costumes.

The entire experience was ruined by one VERY vulgar skit which completely distracted from the dance routine. It was embarrassing to watch and horrible for our children and young adults - everyone in our group was shocked and appalled by the end of the skit!

It is really too bad that that is a part of the evening entertainment. I will not be returning, I will not send our visitors there and I will warn others about going there.

If it were not for that section, the rest of the dances are lovely and the costumes are colorful and interesting.

10  Thank donnas_doings
Reviewed 28 July 2013

I have to agree with the other individual who rated the show as "terrible". In the almost 50 years that I have been living in Greece, I have always taken my guests to see a performance of the Dora Stratou Greek Dances, knowing how much it will be enjoyed. This time, one "dance" was enough to leave a very bad impression and in the future I will need to think twice before taking other guests to see a performance. I'm just grateful that my grandchildren stayed home that evening and that our guests were understanding. It's a shame that the theater is celebrating it's 60th year in a manner most unbecoming.

11  Thank Jane N