“Very expensive for what it offers”
Review of Tzougri - CLOSED

Tzougri
Price range: US$0 - US$39
Cuisines: Greek
Neighbourhood: Plaka
Neighbourhood: Plaka
Reviewed 25 June 2013 via mobile

Tsougkri has moved to halandri. It offers well cooked freshly made dishes, but it is so expensive. A normal size steak costs 25 Euros and is stated as an xlarge Tbone steak on the menu, which is misleading. The staff look anxious to make you leave in case you have forgotten to check your watch that is actually bed time already...so don't forget to have a plan B for your night out.

Reviewed 13 April 2013

NEW ADDRESS: Tzougri is owned by George Partsalakis, the famous and well known Greek actor and his son Manolis. He is really a beloved actor for Greeks and I cannot imagine anyone here who does not know him and his excellent acting.
The old Tzagri restaurant used to be at Thysio but recently has moved to Halandri. Luckily I decided to call and reserve a table thus I found out about the new address because changes are not as yet made on the net.

BUILDING: It is an imposing two storey modern building made of glass and steel and upon entering on the right hand side there is a bar and right opposite the entrance an open kitchen where you see all the chefs at work!
The interior is surprisingly warm and cozy with a sense of theatricality. The interior stone walls add style and character and are decorated with huge photos of distinctive personalities like Katrakis, Alexis Minotis, El Greco and posters highlighting the Crete’s beauty. The restaurant has dim lighting fixtures, creating a unique ambience with an imposing wooden staircase leading to the upper floor. Of course the interior décor is not yet finished at this point as it is only recently that they moved here.

We had the chance to chat a lot with the owners and Mr. Partsalakis was telling us that ever since he remembers himself he is out creating with his mind, soul and hands. His need to communicate with people was one of the reasons he became an actor after all, because “theatre means civilization” he stated.
I was curious and asked what the word Tzougri really means, so this is what the people of Crete call the peaks of the high cliffs where the Cretan wild goats ‘cri cri’ pasture.

Tzougri is the owner’s new creation and for him it is like inviting people at his home for a chat and good company.
Wine and good food helps people come closer. The owners are true-bred Cretan, hospitable and open-hearted so besides hospitality and exquisite taste expect to taste Traditional authentic Cretan recipes here with no twists! You don’t come across this authenticity in many restaurants here in Athens even though their owners like to call them such.

PRODUCTS: Every product used here comes daily directly from Crete, and when I got the menu list in my hands and read all those names of dishes I knew that I certainly need to come back. For an exception I asked to try several in smaller portions –something like ‘pikilia’.

OUR MENU: We were offered ‘raki’ to start with –the Cretan traditional drink. It was cool and nice.
Salads vary between 7.00 euros to 9,50 (mixed salad with grilled veggies, pine cone seeds and balsamic sauce). We did not bother with salads other than the boiled Stamnagathi (7.00 euros) which is commonly used in Crete. It used to be foraged only in the wild in the cooler seasons but in recent years it is being cultivated successfully in Crete the year round. It comes directly from Crete and I urge visitors to try it. It is nutrient, light and unbeatable.

Instead of bottled wine we preferred Cretan red wine which was brought in a carafe. It was just as good and we did not get dizzy at all even though I know that Cretan wines are really strong.

We had a round barley rusk ‘Ntakos’ with freshly cut tomato, virgin olive oil, ‘mizithra’ cheese, and tiny small black olives. -5.50 . The barley dako was indeed tasty. It is the ubiquitous Cretan snack ….you should try it!

I highly recommend ‘kaltitsounia’ home-made pastry pies. We tried those with fresh Cretan white cheese (myzithra) and mint, and the ones with wild green leaves –fennel weed etc. I loved both but the ones with green fennel and fresh onions were truly traditional and very aromatic.
Both cost 5.50 each.

You cannot leave without tasting ‘Apaki’! It is a gourmet traditional Cretan delicacy made of smoked lean pork. It reminded me of the Cypriot ‘lountza’. This is at 6.50 euros.

Snails - this is another Cretan characteristic dish. (Fried snails with a touch of vinegar and on the island they are called “Hohlii Boubouristi”. The rosemary herb was so aromatic, snails were superb and I asked for a second dish….simply delicious! The dish costs 8.00 euros.

Out of the 13 main dishes we had two. I could not leave without tasting “Gamopilafo’ which is served the moment it is cooked! This was at 14.50. It is extremely delicious and a ‘must try’ by all means! It is the Cretan pilaf –in other words it is rice in broth of lamb, goat or chicken, dipped in stakovoutiro (a local kind of butter from milk crest). It is heavenly!

The next dish …well, I had never in my life tasted such tasty piece of meat. It is sauti baby lamb cooked for hours and in very slow fire to become tender. It was accompanied by baked potatoes. I cannot find words to describe this exquisite dish. Even the adjective I use sounds too little! In Greek it is called “arnaki tsigaristo”.

DESSERT: The list of desserts included 5, but we really wanted to taste something really special and unusual for us.
The owner suggested that we try the restaurant’s cheese cake and ‘loukoumades’ which are accompanied with ice cream. We skipped the ice cream and had loukoumades in syrup which were crunchy and mouthwatering. As for the cheese cake….well it had nothing to do with the usual cheese cakes we usually have.
This particular one was made from barley-rusk as the base, Cretan cheese, topped with tomato dessert. I had never heard of tomato dessert before but we both loved it!
Loukoumades were at 5.50 euros and the cheese cake costs 6.00 euros.

THE CHEF: I went to the kitchen to meet the Chef who is Emmanuel Houlaki and congratulate him for the authentic dishes and his cuisine. We had a little chat but he was really busy because customers kept coming in (Greeks eat late). I will definitely like to return. There is plenty of an outdoor seating under the jasmine and the owner was telling us that very soon they will open the doors and extend the dinning space outside. Imagine having all these amazing dishes under the shade of a huge jasmine!

I highly recommend Tzagri. Everything was of excellent quality and original taste. Each and every dish was delicious, the ingredients fresh and it certainly worth a visit.
It is advisable to book a table before going especially during weekends because the restaurant is quite popular.

Tip: There are a number of dishes ideal for vegetarians as well.

1  Thank greekcypriot2009
Reviewed 17 October 2012

One of the best places to enjoy real Cretan cuisine, and not only. Very good choice of wines, excellent chef, very polite and well trained staff. A place to go again and again.

Reviewed 29 June 2011

i have been to this restaurant twice this month, Very pretty restaurant! the food is also very good. always ask for the daily specials. don't drink the house wine. i went with a couple of friends and we all had a headache the next day. buying a bottle of wine is def worth it.

Reviewed 5 November 2010

I visited Tzougri with Greek friends.. The food for me is very important and Tzougri is a dream for people who like food .A lot of dishes from Crete very good atmosphere ,artistic decoration and polite service. You can eat meat cooked with many traditional ways but there is food for vegetarians also. You can have Greek wine but not only that . And for the and you can have fantastic sweets...

1  Thank Elena189400