“Very modern”

Ranked #96 of 326 Hotels in Athens
Duisburg, Germany
“Very modern”
Reviewed 25 June 2011

I stayed in this hotel for 3 nights during my visit to Athens. This hotel is quite far from the centre of Athens. So, mostly the hotel is suited only for business visitors. The rooms are very modern and well furnished. The hotel staff is friendly and eager to help. Wifi is available throughout the hotel and is free of charge. I will surely stay here again.

Stayed June 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
UK
Reviewed 19 September 2010

I am a regular visitor to Athens and was there in August to attend a family wedding, due to the numbers of people who would be attending, for the first time I found myself staying in a hotel rather than with family.

My cousin actually made my reservation at this hotel for me and sent me their website however this did not compare to my impressions when I checked in.

I had booked a junior suite and was impressed with how luxurious and comfortable it was. The suite featured a fully stocked kitchen that contained everything I could possibly need. In fact I was able to host birthday party for a friend on the night I arrived. I was also very pleasantly surprised to find the fridge was already fully stocked with various drinks which really came in handy as I arrived in the middle of the afternoon in the middle of a heatwave.

The bed was the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in and believe me, if I could have taken it home - I would have!

All of the staff were extremely friendly and I found every dealing I had with them a pleasure. My parents also stayed at this hotel (they too had a junior suite) and were also very impressed with their stay. It also helped that the hotel were perfectly happy to deal with me with regards to my parents reservation as they arrived after the reception had closed (however the hotel gave me their room cards earlier in the day) and also allowed me to check them out (as they left early in the morning).

Add to this views of a horse riding center (from my room) or of the Olympic Stadium (from my parents room) and you'll see why every single detail of our stay at the Athens Habitat exceeded all expectations.

As for location, the hotel is in Marousi which is a northern suburb of Athens. The location was perfect for myself as I was no more than 5-10 minutes drive from all the places I needed to be. The location of the hotel is perfect for business travellers (a lot of companies have their offices in Marousi) however I would recommend hiring a car.

My parents however were happy to explore the area on foot and explored the nearby Golden Hall which has a large selection of shops and restaraunts.

Summing up my review, the Athens Habitat has left me in a difficult position. I visit Athens about 4 times per year and now I have to tell my family I will not be staying with them anymore as I will definately be going back to the Athens Habitat.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
4 Thank 1-_-_-D-_-R-_-_-1
Komotini, Greece
Reviewed 23 March 2010

If you don't feel like reading the whole review: in sum, we LOVED this hotel and would definitely stay here again, if we need to stay in that part of Athens (Maroussi) in the future.

My fiance and I stayed at the Athens Habitat for 8 nights in March. We had a Junior Suite in the "New Wing" which is actually an entirely separate building a few blocks away from the main Athens Habitat building. The New Wing building is located at 2 Andromachis St and Katinas Paxinou St.

We stayed there because I was undergoing an operation at the nearby Ygeia Hospital in Maroussi and needed a place to recover close to the hospital since I don't live in the area. The hotel was very accommodating to our strange needs (as we were not like usual tourists / business travelers and spent almost 24 hours/day in the room once I came out of the hospital). They went out of their way to clean the room around our schedule and to provide anything we wanted (like a tea kettle, and kitchen stuff).

The room was very well decorated and attractive. The bathroom was strangely shaped (the shower stall narrowed into a tiny point in one corner but this didn't really affect showering), but certainly comfortable with a HUGE window. The room had a balcony but there were no balcony chairs or table, which would have been a big plus. The view from our room (4th floor) was toward the Olympic stadium and the sunsets were gorgeous every night. The kitchen facilities were sufficient (small sink, drip coffee maker, tea kettle on request, flat glass cooktop (2 burners), medium refrigerator, a few dishes but more dishes/cookware would have been nice). They provided coffee (drip and instant), tea, sugar, white and red wines (both very good) and pasteli (sesame sweets) for free; the mini-bar in the refrigerator had drinks (water, sodas, beer, etc) for a fee (we had 4 of them and paid about 4 euros so the drinks are not expensive at all).

The BED was AMAZING, by far the best bed I've ever slept in in all of Greece, including my own. I wanted to take it home with me. The mattress, pillows, and linens were all supremely comfortable. I could not have asked for a more comfortable place to be stuck in a bed!! In addition to towels, there were also two cozy terry-cloth bathrobes and two pairs of terrycloth slippers in the room, which we used a lot!

Other amenities... free highspeed internet that had no problems at all the whole time we were there; a very nice Samsung flat-screen TV (not huge but definitely larger than the average Greek hotel TV) with lots of channels including CNN and some digital channels. Chrome by Azzaro toiletries in the bathroom (really, really nice!).

Parking for the New Wing: there are 3 parking spaces by the front entrance and what appeared to be 3 more parking spaces by the downstairs entrance, but we never had any problem claiming one of the 3 at the front entrance. I don't know about the original building as we didn't try to park there.

Breakfast: Breakfast is ONLY served at the Reception in the main building, so if you are in the New Wing you have to walk. Breakfast is from 7:30 to 10:30 and it was very nice by Greek hotel standards. They had cereals, bread / cheese / ham, various yogurts, canned peaches, hard boiled eggs, spinach pies, cheese pies, butter croissants, cakes, danishes, they will make you a toasted cheese/ham sandwich, and of course juice and coffee. There is also a very nice outdoor patio where you can eat breakfast in nice weather.

Immediately adjacent to the New Wing there is an equestrian club. I grew up around horses so I loved this. However, do not fear: there was absolutely NO smell or noise from the equestrian club whatsoever! Nearest to the entrance, there is a pony pen and there are the cutest little ponies there, and periodically kids come by and they take them out. There are also normal horses, but my point is that this is only a pleasant sight-seeing thing for hotel guests, with no downside - I promise!

We never had any of the little hiccups you sometimes run across in Greek hotels: hot water was HOT and always available, internet was great, reception was very helpful and friendly. Helpfully, the front desk sells bus tickets which will save you some aggravation (and there are lots of bus stops all along Kifissias Ave, the major thoroughfare that the hotel is not far from).

Obviously, note that Athens Habitat is located in MAROUSSI which is nowhere near central Athens, and the traffic on Kifissias Ave can be rough so this is not the place to stay if you want to be downtown all the time. But if you are going to be in Northern Athens for any reason, especially in the OAKA / Maroussi area, this hotel is awesome and I would totally recommend it.

We had a VERY competitive rate for the hotel, which we got by calling the hotel directly and booking with them. Since they didn't have any standard rooms for the dates we requested, they gave us the Junior Suite at the standard room rate, which I thought was very nice!

Downsides to the hotel:

*Reception is only open until 10pm, which is not a big deal if you know in advance, and it seems to be their policy to notify guests when they book. They certainly notified me, and as a result I made sure to get there earlier in the day to pick up my key. It was an inconvenience for us because it meant arriving separately and I had to pay for a cab (which got TERRIBLY lost and ran up a huge fare) because my fiance was arriving on a ferry late at night. He ended up arriving at around 11pm so we would not have been able to check in if I had not done that. To me this is the major drawback of this hotel.

*The location is wonderful (green, quiet, breezy, attractive, upscale) once you know how to get there, but it is REALLY hard to find unless you know the area. There are lots of one-way streets, the hotel does have some signs up to direct you but it is still treacherous. The hardest part is getting off Kifissias Ave in the right spot. My cab driver messed it up so badly that we drove around in circles for at least half an hour on tiny bumpy roads and I got terribly car sick as a result. Make sure you know exactly how to go because at least some Athens taxi drivers do NOT know where this hotel is, and it's not near any major landmarks (the major landmarks of Helexpo and Carrefour on the Athens Habitat site only served to confuse my driver further). Also there did not appear to be any restaurants or cafes in the immediate vicinity; it's mostly apartment buildings and some office buildings.

*If you are staying in the New Wing like we did, the walk to breakfast in the main building is kind of far. It's not FAR but it's a few blocks and since I was recovering from surgery this meant that I only had breakfast the last few days we stayed there, because I couldn't walk that far. If you are healthy I'm sure this would be no problem for you.

*We had one outlet out in our room and these days, we all need 600 electrical outlets so that was mildly annoying.

Overall, we were hugely pleased with this hotel and I personally think it made my recovery from surgery MUCH easier than it would have been under any other circumstances. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple