Xenophon Hotel
US$182
US$167
Elvoline
  • Breakfast included
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 12 December 2013

This hotel offers a large number of rooms, most of which are ether not in use or under refurbishment. The rooms are very small and in need of a level of tender loving care. Refurbished for the Olympic games it apears that not much has been done since. Very retro. Breakfast is a fixed menu consisting of coffee, juice, cheese & ham toasted sandwich, one slice of toast per person, mini roll, hard boiled egg, butter & jam. This hotel is good for 24 / 48 hour stop over but could bring on cabin fever. Getting to the hotel from the airport is straight forward by train to Neratziotissa Station where you change onto the Metro and travel to Kato Patissia Station. Don't worry if you miss your stop as it is between this and the next station. Traveling time from the airport is approx: 55 min.

Room Tip: Best rooms are on the 6th Floor. Avoid rooms facing the front of the Hotel as the Metro runs 50 meters from the entrance.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Tony R
Reviewed 3 October 2013

stayed 2 days, location is good, rooms are better than expected, breakfast is very poor but the price is very suitable.
all rooms have very large balconies. you can even have party with ten people in that balconies with city view.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 August 2013

By staying in Xenophon you get a real experience of modern Greece's mess. Don 't get me wrong. It is an adequate hotel to stay if you are in a budget. My room was spacious and cheap. There is a metro connection nearby. The staff were generally nice. However,...

1. People were smoking in public spaces (reception, lobby, etc.)

2. No internet connection in the rooms. Some Greek internet provider found an easy solution to provide a number (all?) of hotels in Athens with internet connection, but with the cost falling on the consumer. Organized rip-off. I will never forget the receptionist's proud expression advising me on the many pricing "options" I have. I don't care buddy. It should have been free. In the lobby it was free though.

3. No waste basket in the room (except in the toilet). Be careful, because this resulted in some of my toiletries (costing more than the price of the room for one night) to be mistaken as garbage and thrown away. Yes! Good I had put my medicine in the drawer, otherwise I would need to run to the local pharmacies on a very hot weekend.

4. Room service. No option if you don't want cleaning. They take notice of when you leave the room (by leaving the key at the reception) and then they just get in and clean. Since I was staying for only a couple of days, I didn't care and I wanted to avoid situations like #3.

5. Breakfast: Well, I remember there was a toast, an egg, some orange 'juice', coffee, jam and that's it. Served at your table. I kind of remembered my holidays as a child in the 80's state-owned hotels.

6. On checking-out they asked me if I left my remote in the room, and then they went to check. Ok buddy, you may have some really cheapskate customers, but I stayed there by accident. And I turned a blind eye on so many things (with #3 being the high spot).

The area is not the best-off in Athens. I don't think it's dangerous (well don't push your luck anyway, some areas nearby have the reputation of being dangerous), but it is ugly as most parts of most of Greek cities. The metro connection is good and if you can spare some commuting time to get to the centre (I think it was something like 20 minutes ride), then the distance shouldn't discourage you. I liked the 'La Pasteria' restaurant nearby. If you are into junk food try 'Goody's', our local brand, which is much better than the other multinational "restaurant" in the same niche. Overall, I would recommend the hotel if you are in a budget and can put up with some annoyances, but if you want a really nice hotel experience pass.

Room Tip: Request a big room. With a large balcony.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank John V
Reviewed 6 February 2013

Terrible! Never again ! Miniscule and uncomfortable. Inside is terrible!There was no free wireless connection with internet in the room.The staff call at 22:30 in the room to pay for the day.They keept the passport at the reception.Ask all the time when we leaving .Noise at night .It was aweful!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank petru i
Reviewed 29 November 2012

I have used this hotel several times when passing through and looking to keep costs down. It is a no-frills establishment and this is reflected in the price. As previous posts say, it could do with interior decoration, but I have always found the bathrooms OK, and on occasions I've had a decent-sized balcony for no extra price. The staff are usually helpful with taxis and directions. The internet is expensive but functional. I do not understand why hotels charge for internet, as it must turn away a huge proportion of potential customers. It is a good location for getting to the Kifissos bus station in the mornings.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business