“Bad located but overall nice Hostel”

Athens House Hostel
Ranked #229 of 282 Hotels in Athens
Reviewed 25 August 2013 via mobile

The staff was really friendly, but the location wasn't too good. Not far from the subway station (one stop from the city centre), but unfortunately into the more shady area with suspicious people walking the streets. Police was however present so we didn't feel too unsafe. Rooms are clean, very nice decorated and appropriate size, but without air con. There are four to five rooms in each apartment (separate lockable) with an equipped kitchen, a bathroom and an extra toilet.

Chris and Ossie

• Stayed: August 2013
There are newer reviews for Athens House Hostel

Reviewed 2 August 2013

Nothing truly terrible about this place. The worst thing that I experienced here was, having come back after a day out I found that all my stuff had been put on the floor, because they gave my bed to someone else and put me in a different room, for some reason. Apart from that, I had a bed with a fan and a roof over my head, and didn't pay to much for it either. Each room also had a balcony which was very pleasent in the evening. There were lots of prostitutes outside, so if you are looking for an area with a squeeky clean image, then this place is for you, otherwise, go for it.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 June 2013

My friends and I booked this hostel in advance for two night due to our tight budget. The hostel is located in a dodgy area of Athens across from a corner with prostitutes. The staff was unhelpful and can barely speak english. Sometimes there wasn't anyone in the reception when I needed help. The beds were horribly uncomfortable, very lumpy that you could feel every spring. The bathroom was the worst part as it was dim, very dirty and filled with bugs.

Just don't expect anything good for a night which costs 7euros!

Room Tip: Don't think there are any good rooms to choose from as they look pretty much the same
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Charlene L
Reviewed 1 September 2012

It was a very nice and relaxing staying.I really felt like home,1st cause the whole place is very clean and 2nd from the hospitality.The manager is a very polite person available all the time to help you.The location is in the center of Athens which is very useful cause you have everything close to you.The area is not dangerous at all!Nobody is threaten anybody for sure and considering the price(if you go to a camping with your own tent you have to pay at least 11euros) this place is a paradise!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 August 2012

This was a very great hostel. We got in very late to the airport and found that the bus dropped us off in the city center and it seemed very dangerous. We took a taxi from the center to the nearest metro station and found the hostel very easily from Omonia. During the day however the area seemed more safe than at night, however the actual hostel was VERY accomodating, the people were so friendly that ran the hostel and we are very central to everything because the metro is so close. The bathrooms were very clean and the kitchen is nice and we had two fans our room which was great for a room with just two people. The bedroom was sort of dirty, but it wasnt unbearable.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 August 2012

When I booked the room in there I was in the end of my vacation and not so much money left and I took my chances to stay there. Considering the reviews I was expecting that I will sleep next to hell. So I am getting inside and in the reception and I am seeing young people with laptops, a very nice and vacation atmosphere. A nice lady in the reception checked me in and explained to me about kitchen, the showers and principal attraction wich were in walking distance. The bed I booked for 8 euros was in a shared room with 4 beds. The room was very spacious and very clean and a private balcony where I could stay with laptop. For my surpise even on the balcony the wi-fi was working very fast. She gave me an extra sheet and a towel for free. Also I could use the computer from the common area for free to print my tickets. The kitchen loos a bit like gramma`s but is clean and is doing the job.
The building was secured CCTV and you needed a key to get in. Every person staying there had one so I felt very secured, specialy that I could see on the monitor in the reception each person was getting inside the building. The area arround the building can be a bit dramatic for someone that is not used with life in a big city, but I was not feeling treatened in any way. Looks like everybody is minding their business and the central police station was only 50 meters upper.
Before I came here I was camping in Santorini and Ios and I was paying 12,50 and 11 euros / night to sleep in my own tent and in this hostel I was paying 8 euros for a bed with clean sheets, towel, 24 hot water, free wi-fi, free use of the computer with internet and printer and the kitchen, balcony and each bed in my room had a fan. I was wondering what they could offer more for this price and why all the bad reviews. I was to trust the reviews I was going to pay at least triple price for something that I doubt was better. I traveled in manny places and many times I payed way much more than I was reciveing. Here I had a very good time, I got friendly with two spanish guys that I was sharing the room with and Mike, the owner is a relly nice and decent guy that kep my luaggages next day after my check out with no extra fees.
Thanks Athens House for everything, I will stay there again for sure and I will reccomend you to my all friends.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Cristian P
Reviewed 3 August 2012

i know it doesnt look like the safest place but i stayed here for a month and i had no complaints .Miglen is awesome,super nice and friendly and he helped me a lot !!!
love it and wanna deff go back , very clean and nice !!!!

Room Tip: i loved the private !!!!
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo