Review Highlights

from US$144.10
More Info
from US$87.10
More Info
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 11 October 2018

If you are considering practicing yoga, there are much better, healthier places to do so in Athens. To be fair, for my first visit, the instructor was very good. I wish I could remember her name. But, she was strong, encouraging and respectful.
However, I am basing this review on the class with the other instructor, Aris. He was incredibly rude in his manner, and the way he gave instructions. it seemed as though he was more interested to ignorantly barking orders than he was about being truly being present as a strong instructor.

First off, I understand that Ashtanga’s approach to yoga tends to be more strict than other schools as I studied as an Ashtanga teacher myself. Yet, one can be strict and firm without being rude and disrespectful. One can be strict without abusing and dismissing the practice of others.

For example: To begin with, his physical adjustments were harsh. Secondly, when I closed my eyes for some of the poses at first…he ordered me to: Stop that. The immaturity, disrespect reverberated in his voice. I calmly explained that closing my eyes in some poses at first is essential to feel more grounded in my body. If my eyes are always open it can overstimulate me, and I lose touch with my senses, and can become panicked.

But, he was not capable of listening. He only snapped again: “don’t do that! “
I replied again, “I understand what you are saying, but I'm a yoga teacher, and …I am healing from trauma, trying to calm and listen to my body..”

He simply barked “I don’t care what you are.”

Woah.

Then he asked me to leave the class. Of course I did so easily.

Maybe he was upset that I was not following his instructions like a puppet and that I had my own voice.

As an Ashtanga yoga student, it is vital that I listen to my own body’s wisdom.
As an Ashtanga teacher, I would never insist my students do something that was detrimental to their healing practice.
As a human being, nobody deserves to be snapped at the way he did with me.
In any event, It is often not what people say, but how they say it. There were a variety of other ways he could have handled the situation.

I would suggest the instructor try to incorporate more flexible and humble attitude to the practice and the people. I suggest that the teachers also make themselves aware of trauma sensitive yoga practices. And finally. I suggest that this instructor be in much less of an ego state when leading a class.

If you do wind up here as for your practice, I hope you leave space to listen to your own inner guidance as well. Yoga instructors are not gods. You have your own inner guidance , and if any class is leads you away from it, please go elsewhere.

Reviewed 26 September 2018 via mobile

Ashtanga Yoga Athens is a sufficient, organised and spacious shala with great feel, plenty of air and light in which you can experience the pure form of ashtanga yoga. There are approximately 4-5 sessions each day at different hours that you can choose according to your schedule.The teachers: Aris, Marita and Sandra are very competent, helpful, friendly and they offer a nice variety of adjustments.
There is a great mix of students, with regulars from town and visitors/travelers passing by.
All in all it works for a really dynamic studio and supportive practice, encouraging self-development in students.
I 've found the place I've been looking for in years ...

Reviewed 24 September 2018

We are blessed to have this studio in the middle of Athens. It is full of light, love and wisdom. Genuine and experienced teachers with a true commitment to helping us surpass our limitations and find happiness in our bodies, hearts and minds. A healing place, where you can be reborn.

1  Thank Artemis2424
Reviewed 23 September 2018

Practicing Ashtanga Yoga I wanted to keep my practice during my journey to Athens.
After checking the profile of Ashtanga Yoga Athens and the teachers I decided to join Marita Mittag‘s Vinyasa Krama Yoga class. A huge Hanuman graffiti welcomes you at the entrance of the building and leads you to the very nice shala. The atmosphere is very welcoming, warm and you feel immediately at your ‚home’-Shaka.

It has been an amazing experience and inspiring class. Marita is a highly experienced, empathic and caring teacher with very good guidance and (verbal) assists. I would highly recommend every yoga practitioner and Ashtangi to take this unique class. Looking forward to join as well the Mysore classes the next time when I‘m in Athens.

Namaste Marita and Ashtanga Yoga Athen

1  Thank 7Beijing
Reviewed 20 September 2018

Very rude and indifferent behavior of the teacher, too far from yogic theory and practices. Not recommended

2  Thank mallonden
Aris K, Owner at Ashtanga Yoga Athens, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2018

Dear Sir,

How can you review Ashtanga Yoga Athens since you have never been in one of our classes?
Are you sure you are not confusing us with another Yoga Shala.
I kindly request you to withdraw your review as you never visited our shala.

Reviewed 23 August 2018

If you think yoga, you think asthanga, if you think asthanga visit this school......teacher will change the way you think act....

4  Thank AnargirosK
Reviewed 28 July 2018 via mobile

I traveled through Athens in June 2018 and found this absolutely lovely ashtanga space. The teachers literally changed my ashtanga practice in 3 short visits. I am so grateful and looking forward to returning someday. Without hesitation I recommend this space.❤

3  Thank Lori B
Reviewed 17 July 2018

Ashtanga Yoga Athens is an intimate, light-filled shala with a calm and beautiful energy. From my first day, I felt welcomed and at home. Aris and his team are dedicated and professional teachers, but more than that, they are warm and lovely people. The incredible adjustments and encouragement I’ve received since joining has advanced my practise tremendously and I look forward to evolving further with their guidance. Highly knowledgable instruction and a positive atmosphere, it is a truly wonderful place to practise at any level! Would highly recommend!

1  Thank Sara A
Reviewed 28 June 2018

I highly recommend practicing at Ashtanga Yoga Athens. The team there are knowledgeable and skilful as well as welcoming and warm. I instantly felt at home in the shala. The shala itself is bright, clean and has everything you need. There is also a shower which is useful after a sweaty practice. The adjustments I received were some of the best I have had in the Ashtanga community! The teachers are extremely generous with their teaching and energy they transmit. I had a truly brilliant experience.

Reviewed 27 June 2018 via mobile

I have been practising yoga for over fifteen years and Aris is one of the best teachers I have been to. He is attentive, precise and very knowledgeable with his adjustments. In only two sessions I felt a noticeable difference in my practise and only wish I had more time to spend with him. I highly recommend anyone to go to this shala. The teachers are excellent. Be prepared to sweat!