“This is a very good hotel and location for the price.”

Athens Center Square
Ranked #23 of 325 Hotels in Athens
Stevens Point, Wisconsin
“This is a very good hotel and location for the price.”
Reviewed 6 April 2013

We are currently at the Athens Center Square Hotel. We want three things at any place we stay: Clean, Quiet, and Safe. The room and lobby are spotless. With the window closed the room is quiet. Otherwise there are city noises. Athens is a city of two millions? For a large city this neighborhood is fine. We stayed out to 11 PM listening to a band. As we walked home we felt no discomfort. I find Chicago's loop more intimidating.

For the reviews that describe the area as seedy or frightening, they have obviously not been to large cities. Immediately n front of the hotel is a large fruit and vegetable market. If that scares you, stay home.

By the way, the shower is a nicely executed design.

Wayne iNWI

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank wmcca

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Boston
Reviewed 28 March 2013

Nothing against the hotel, they were great and I was really happy with the room and all of the provisions. It is clear that they just restored the hotel and it was really a quite pleasant stay. The only disadvantage was the neighborhood around the hotel which was to be frank a bit unsafe. Regardless, if you rely on taxis and dont walk to the hotel at night, you should be fine,

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Sam O
Athens, Greece
Reviewed 23 March 2013

For a budget hotel this was of an excellent standard. Very clean & comfortable, & although my room was not large (single booking) it had all I needed. Fridge, tv, large shower, toiletries, hairdryer, view of the Acropolis too! One of the biggest plus points for me was the amount of usable sockets, there were 6 of them without having to unplug the tv, fridge or hairdryer, amazing! In this day & age, with cameras, phones, laptops etc all needing charging it was a very welcome consideration, I have stayed in some places where there was only one & everything had to be charged in shifts!
A bit too early in the year to spend much time on the rooftop, but I did go up for a while & enjoy the all round view.
The staff were among some of the best I've experienced, all 4 reception staff that I met or dealt with during my stay were helpful, friendly, even interested in how my day had been & what I'd done!
Breakfast is a great selection with some hot food, various breads/toast, yogurt & choice of toppings, cake, cheeses & meats, fruit, croissants, tea, coffee & juices among the choices.
Location: While I realise this is not for everyone I loved it & know it would be ideal for many. In the heart of the market, just off Athinas Street, you are right there among the day to day shopping & life of Athens. Noisy, busy, buzzing & real during the day, the area is almost empty at night. I did walk back to the hotel alone at various times of night (including 2am) & felt completely safe, something that may come easier to a repeat visitor or couple/group. Probably the best night's return was after Karnivali celebrations on the Sunday night, by then it was the early hours of Monday (Clean Monday) & the whole area was lit up, with the fish market in full swing, several of the nearby shops, the local souvlaki places & some fruit & veg stalls, magical! I sat & enjoyed a beer & watched lots of people shopping :)
For transport the hotel is equidistant to 3 metro stations, Monastiraki, Omonia & Panepistimou.
This is most definitely on my list of places to stay again, brilliant!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
6 Thank Yiassas
Reviewed 28 February 2013

We first got to the hotel after almost getting mugged on the trains (WATCH OUT on the airport line heading into the city. Don't have anything in your pockets, lock zips where you can), so our arrival wasn't in the best of moods. the counter staff were friendly and sympathetic though. she told us that this happens often in athens.

the lifts are tiny, just enough to fit two suitcases and two people. the hallway to the rooms felt a bit like dorm rooms, but the rooms were pleasant and clean. good location - we basically walked everywhere, except when heading to the ferry terminal. the area can feel slightly unsafe at night with all the shops closed and groups of young men walking around.

breakfast was great - good selection of cold meats and warm breads.

good option for if you're on a budget.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the acropolis.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Janani J
Kelowna
Reviewed 27 January 2013

Four of us stayed here in Aug. 2012 on a Euro trip. As we got closer to Athens we told the cab drive where we were staying. (Name of hotel, intersection etc.) He gave us the double take and said "don't go out at night". The cab driver would not drive to the front of the hotel, between the fruit market. Many shady characters hanging around this market... Rooms were very small, bed was terrbile. Two singles as a "king". View from room was decent as it is Athens after all. There were signs that stated "take pictures of our rooftop and post them on tripadvisor!" pretty sad attempt at getting better reviews...

Anyhow, I would never stay there again. If you're on a super tight budget.. go for it.

Room Tip: All the rooms we saw were the same... 3 rooms.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank djandria
Dorina S, General Manager at Athens Center Square, responded to this review, 30 January 2013
Dear Guest,
I am sorry to read that unlike other clients you were not satisfied from your stay in our hotel.
It is well know that taxi drivers are trying to accommodate tourists in other hotels where from they will receive commission. Our hotel is in front of the fruit market where many people are around. Many clients are finding it interesting and colorful.
As for the beds, we do not advertise that we offer "king" size bed. Our doubles are 160X200 or 180X200. Referring to your comment on our signs, we encourage clients to write reviews and submit pictures on our property so that future clients are better informed.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 January 2013

I was travelling with my mother to Athens for a few days and we got Athens Center Square Hotel on a deal so decided to stay there. I loved it. The location wasn't the best in terms of niceness (but I don't know what people are complaining so much about, half the neighbourhoods in London were worse than that one!), was opposite a fruit market at day, but it was good in terms of location - walked to all the sights including the acropolis, acropolis museum, olympic stadium, coach stop (to cape sounion) etc. The service was amazing. The hotel receptionist, a lovely lady called Argiro, was so helpful and wasn't one of those standard try and sell us overpriced tours receptionists! She tried to give up cheap ways of doing things. The rooms were very clean and spacious with a nice TV (even with 2 English channels) and the maids cleaned our rooms and changed linen every day even though we didn't put the note on our door to say we wanted it done. The roof terrace had beautiful views of the Acropolis :) Breakfast was good, varied with plenty to eat! Thanks to the hotel for making our time in Athens a good one!

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank ncrystal
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your review and for submitting this wonderful picture! We are delighted to read your comment and we are very glad you were satisfied with our hotel! We shall share your encouraging comments with the rest of our staff.
We really look forward to welcoming you soon again!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 26 December 2012

I saw the trendiest award off tripadvisor and well frankly this is the first time that tripadvisor ratings have ever steered me wrong. We had finished our week long tour of some of the Greek islands, had a beautiful and fantastic trip and were looking for a decently priced place to stay. This place at 70 euros and what looked to be nice amenities was a good deal. Until we got there. We took the subway from the port and walked to the hotel through one of the worst neighborhoods I saw in Athens. There is a park right outside the front door and people were in teh park (lots of them) at 3pm dealing drugs and shooting what I assume was heroin in broad daylight. The room was dirty, the chair and bed had stains. The rooftop bar was not open the whole weekend and I didnt want to leave the hotel after dark as the front is an alley by night full of vagrants. I am not a picky person and have never left a bad review on Tripadvisor but this was disappointing beyond reason and really the only dark spot on a 10 day trip of a lifetime.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank cmnsensepls
Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing our hotel for your stay in Athens and for submitting a nice room picture.
Though we had clients with children, we do not have triple rooms nor family rooms.
As for the location, it is just 300m from Ancient Agora, Monastiraki metro station and very close to the Acropolis.There is no danger around though you may see vagrants and most of our clients being careful are having a very enjoyable time.
Referring to your comment on the roof bar I am sorry it had be closed that week end, but clients could still visit the terrace with the splendid view and get served from the lobby bar.
I hope that you will come back and all your expectations be satisfied.