Athens Lotus Hotel
US$207
US$205
US$200
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsmetro stationrecommend this hotelhotel is locatedvery nice hotelnever felt unsafebed was very comfortablefew minutes walkby footyogurtsyntagma squarerooms are smallneighborhoodstreetmetaxourgiogreeceeurosacropolis
Reviewed 13 July 2012

We came here after twi weeks island hopping and were really surprised about this. Hotel was located in quite messy street, but the moment we came in, we were convinced. Hotel was really worth of four stars and we could even give one additonal + to Lotus. The room was well equipped, clean and bed was good. And in the morning we had also a good breakfast in hotel, so the overall score is ****+. And not to mention its superb location right next to Metagourxio subway. Only 100 m from station.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jori72
Reviewed 3 July 2012

I was slightly nervous. I'd booked through a 'last minute discount' site & having paid a lot of money for a barely decent hotel in Athens before, wondered what I would get for my money. I needn't have worried. Arriving in Athens after working until 3am then getting to the airport for 6am, it's fair to say I was exhausted. So tired in fact that I forgot to check my itinerary & headed direct from the airport to the Lotus only to realise as I checked in that my plans had changed & I was actually supposed to be on a boat to Agistri that night & not at the hotel until the tail end of my trip! Of course it was now end of day & panic set it. The amazing staff at the Lotus took care of me so well: they leapt into action, getting on the internet & phone to acertain how I could possibly get one of the last boats to Agistri (not easy as anyone who ever sat in a Greek Travel Agents will tell you). They ordered me a cab & wrote down Greek instructions for the cab driver & ticket office at Piraeus & got me to the port with 40 mins to spare before the final Flying Dolphin departs. Outstanding. When I arrived back in a week they greeted me like an old friend & showed me to a very nicely decorated, perfectly reasonably sized room with a big window & great bathroom. As a curious single traveller I later checked out the rooms that couples were in & these were very spacious, especially the street facing ones, but mine would actually have been fine for a couple, especially at the amazing last minute price. Breakfast buffet (8 euros extra I think) was very good & included hot eggs, bacon as well as the usual ham, cheese, fruit continental. Need to knows: 1.This is not a dodgy area as some people seem to think. It is a perfectly respectable urban commercial/residential mix neighbourhood. It may look a bit scruffy in places, but that is pretty normal outside of the ultra central tourist area of Athens. 2. The hotel is a really lovely building, nicely restored & as a historical building the rooms may not be huge as they have to respect the layout. They looked good to me, but if you are a very big person or require a vast room, you might like to check with the management first to be sure you get one of the larger rooms. 4.The description 'boutique' means 'unusual' or 'historic' to me - if to you it means unspeakably opulent luxury this may not be the hotel for you. The Lotus is tastefully decorated in a style that blends modern, clean lines furnishing & neutral colours: I found the website photos representative of my room & the two others I stuck my head into! 5.This hotel is extremely easy to get to via the metro system. Metaxageorgiou requires only one easy change at Syntagma from the airconditioned airport train - when changing just look (as in Paris Metro) on the map for the final station on the line you want - in this case Agios Antonios - then follow the signs with your colour of line (in this case red) & that final station. Metaxa is a very clean nice metro station, with a safe cash machine in the ticket hall (the ticket office overlooks it) Take care when you exit the tube station it is very easy to go wrong! The hotel is literally 2 mins walk - study the map carefully & print it off before you go. Exit via the Via Digliani entrance & you will be on a small pavement triangle facing the end of a building. Take the right fork into a smaller road called Chiou / Xiou & the Lotus is a couple of mins along on the left. 6. You can eat at the very authentic, terracota roofed Greek taverna across the road or 7. Take the Metro directly to Acropoli on the red line & you are literally at the foot of Acropolis hill, Plaka & its lovely chi chi whitewashed hill set restaurants & boutiques is a short walk. For the younger / more adventurous Monastiraki is round the hill (or through the Acropolis park in daytime) & is a buzzing fun tourist & young Greek bar, restaurant & tourist item area running down Ermou & Adrianou roads & lively & lit with fairy lights & terraced bars & outdoor souvlaki restaurants in the evening. Monastiraki metro station is also only one easy change at Omonia for Metaxageorgiou. Hope this helps!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
10  Thank SusieHalldeSilva
Reviewed 24 June 2012

Okay, so I have to admit that I was a bit nervous about the Lotus. I booked online a month or two before our trip, and a few days before we arrived in Athens, I read a pretty negative review about the budget rooms at the Athens Lotus Hotel. The reviewer said the room was too small to even put a suitcase, so we wondered if we made a mistake by booking the budget-friendly room. As soon as we opened the door, we knew it would be more than adequate. It was smaller but we had stayed in smaller hotel rooms during our Turkey holiday. The room even came with a complimentary bottle of Greek wine, which was actually pretty good. Our room rate didn't come with breakfast but we were allowed to add breakfast at 5 euros per person per day, which was an excellent value for the high quality of the breakfast. We thoroughly enjoyed our breakfasts at the hotel.

The staff at the hotel could not have been more friendly and helpful. And as many have said, even though the neighborhood isn't upscale, it seems safe enough. In fact, it seems like a working-class neighborhood.

We took the metro from the airport and found it easy to use. It takes about an hour each way, but it goes quickly. The hotel is so close to the metro station, which is a huge advantage. The Athens metros are great.

We also enjoyed the taverna right across the street. The first night was on a Saturday, so there was a group of local singers and dancers practicing there, which we enjoyed immensely. Our second and final night in Athens was on Sunday, so the taverna was a bit quieter, but still enjoyable.

We highly recommend the Athens Lotus Hotel and would definitely stay there again on our next trip to beautiful Greece.

Room Tip: Don't hesitate to spring for the budget room with no breakfast and the bottle of wine. You can add breakfast later.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Cherylb1228
Reviewed 20 June 2012

The Lotus is a cute boutique hotel located 2-3 minutes walking from the Metro. It is very well kept and run by a very sweet staff.

The rooms are clean and are spacious enough for two people. We had a room on the 1st floor, just above lobby level. It faced the apartment building next door. We had to keep our drapes drawn, but we could open our window to the people living across from us and they were always playing lovely music. We could also here the banter between the neighbors and it made us feel a part of the community. I have to admit it reminded me of growing up in India where you could always here people chattering away and music playing, so I found it comforting. If you prefer your privacy I recommend requesting a room higher up not facing a building.

The neighborhood is fine. As in any big city, you just have to be smart while walking around after hours. There wasn’t ever a point where we felt unsafe walking back to our room at night, and the hotel locks the door and there is someone to open it for you when you return so there is no risk of unwanted visitors residing there.

Other perks: free Wi-Fi and a free breakfast in the morning.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the neighboring apartment building if you like opening your window and listening to music and singing in the evening. We felt a part of the community during our two nights there. Looking for peace and quiet? Request a higher floor facing the street.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sonali K
Reviewed 19 June 2012

Lotus is a nice little hotel, some 50 meters from Metaxourghio metro station. They really made the most of this old building. Classy renovated rooms are big enough for comfort. High ceilings. Plenty space to get rid of your stuff. Good reading lamps by the bed. Airy daylight bathroom. Enough plugs to charge all devices. Breakfast, if not included, is worth the € 5 they charge for it. Extremely friendly service at reception. The owner makes poetic sailing vessels out of driftwood. His hobby is on the walls of dining room and lobby.

Room Tip: Corner rooms feature sunny roundabout balcony
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple