“Great romantic dinner place”
Review of Taverna O Thespis - CLOSED

Taverna O Thespis
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Plaka
Reviewed 15 September 2012

Lovely outdoor setting, with view of Acropolis from some tables and view over a green valley from others. A little off the beaten path so not crowded. Food was simple standard Greek fare, but very well prepared. Service was prompt and friendly, with little extras thrown in (fresh fruit and after-dinner drinks thrown in gratis). Live music (a guitarist and a guy playing another string instrument I did not recognize) playing during dinner, not too loud but just right for a romantic atmosphere. The bill was much less than we have paid elsewhere in Greece for far lower quality.

This is a winner.

1  Thank Grisha G

Reviewed 7 September 2012

This is a cute, multi-level outdoor taverna tucked into a side-street halfway up to the acropolis and framed in grape vines - everything looks like it's in soft-focus ... very romantic at night. Service was very attentive and friendly. Food was simple but excellently done. Basic local wine list. Musicians playing at a nearby table throughout the meal were a bonus.

1  Thank NoFixedPlans
Reviewed 3 September 2012

I found this restaurant on TripAdvisor before leaving for Greece and noticed that it had been written up by Rick Steves. It's off the beaten track, which makes it a lovely quiet place to relax over a good meal and a decent glass of wine. I sat under a huge tree, almost as the only patron for lunch on a weekday. I overheard a couple say they'd been there several times, so it didn't surprise me that the service was very friendly and accommodating to my food requirements, and the food was incredibly fresh. Although I'd had many of the same items in Greece already, this was one of the best meals I had. It was my last meal before flying home and I couldn't have chosen a better spot.

Reviewed 15 August 2012

If you want to eat in the popular Plaka district while trying to stay away from the likely "trap for tourists" type of restaurant that you might very well encounter in this super crowded area of Athens, you might want to try this place. We had been adviced to go there and it was indeed a good advice. We visited this taverna in July 2012. I don't think this is the best place in town but certainly a good spot in this neighborhood. The atmosphere is nice, with pleasent live music (one of my daughters was really amazed by the performers, which were indeed good), the service was kind and fast enough to avoid the kids falling asleep on the table, the food was certainly not below the average taverna. We enjoyed also the overall outdoor setting of the restaurant and some other details of the service (ie the copper wine pitchers).

Reviewed 12 August 2012

The food here was exceptional and the atmosphere pleasant. We lingered drinking it all in. They didn't rush us off.