“Great Gastronomical experience”

Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Pangrati
Reviewed 7 November 2013

We had there one of the best meals ever! Everything we ordered was really tasteful, but osso bucco was something extraordinary and I would go again just for that! The food was really great and the pricing very reasonable, what I mean for value for money. The restaurant has a good variety of wines, which they open just to offer you a glass and they even suggest you what suits best with your meal. Apart from the above, very important advantage, the prohibition of smoking inside (there are tables outside for smokers). Although, I am a chocolate lover, they offer a great creme brulee and profiterol with caramel ice cream inside!

Reviewed 31 July 2013

the second time I visited this place, it was exactly like the first: tasty food, polite waiters, a large selection of wines, nice environment. especially during the summer, it is always nice to be seated outside. I recommend it!

Reviewed 7 April 2013

I consider myself a foody. I do appreciate good cuisine, new flavors, and I must admit that I am really open minded when it comes to new "gourmet", so to speak, places. I had great expectations about "Cunina Povera"-I had heard so many great things about this place--yet I was a bit disappointed.

The place is really nice and quite sophisticated, and so looked the menu. Cosy atmosphere, helpful waiters and a very promising menu, leading us to think that the chef(s) must have given at least a thought to it. That made us of course even more eager to taste the dishes. With this in mind we ordered four appetizers--mind we were a party of three--and four different main dishes. Unfortunately, none of the appetizers was freshly prepared. What a disappointment... The aubergines, for instance, were overcooked, sticking bad quality of oil. The main dishes, were much better, yet again nothing special, and certainly nothing worth spending something like 15 euros a dish. This is of course not a tremendous amount of money, yet it becomes when one tastes the food.

The biggest disappointment, however, came together with the deserts. We actually had two deserts. The chocolate one was OK, yet no Italian by no means. The second one, the strawberry zabaglione one, was, imho, a complete mess. I am a huge fun of zabaglione, and I was so excited when I saw it on the menu. When I tasted it however I felt sad... This was bad, just bad... Nothing close to zabaglione, let alone that the strawberries were not fresh. They tasted like they were left in the refrigerator for more than a couple of days...

I guess that overall Cucina Povera is OK, although I would not really recommend this place. There are so many other nice places in Athens. Plus, one should keep in mind that povera is there to explain the quality of the food and not the prices ;)

Reviewed 30 January 2013

The food is excellect. Not many choices but the menu changes very often. Also, you have the possibility to select your wine between many defferent choices. For two person, with a bottle of wine of 30 euros, you won't pay more than 80 euros.
Cucina povera is a small restaurant, with a very good environment, perfect either for friends or for couples.
I wouldn't visited cucina povera more than twice a year, but i return to there almost every year.

Reviewed 13 January 2013

Very inspiring menu!!! All dishes had a tempting mouthwatering feel. Entrees original and nicely executed. We had the mushrooms and the pie... Generous portions, simple and tasteful. Main dishes were even better.. We had the pancetta and the beef... Exceptional!!!! The atmosphere cosy, casual, friendly. Prices not a surprise. Service nice and casual. An excellent neighborhood premise!!!