“AWESOME!!”

Ranked #115 of 349 things to do in Athens
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: This interactive museum showcases Greek history and culture in a domed, planetarium-style theatre.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Karachi, Pakistan
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
“AWESOME!!”
Reviewed 12 November 2010

I was doing pre-trip nternet research and I found this musuem. I was thrilled to find a crash course on Greek history easy enough to be understood by children.

Upon arrivng in Athens I visited this musuem. It is best to get here by bus from centercity as its a long walk from teh metro station but the bus stops directly in front of the entrance.

I bought a 16 Euro ticket which enabled me to see everything. I first saw a 45 minute 3D show on the ancient Agora with a group of schoolchildren. The show was phenomenon with its effects. Then I saw the exhibition on Greek Mathematics. Afterwards I saw a 10 minute 3D show on the ancient Olympics. Finally I went to the exhibit of the ancient Agora (which as been restored with the help of the Rockefeller Foundation).

Not just this but I had joined the show when the Greek version was being aired so the lady in the staff went out of her way and translated teh commentary for me by providing me with ear-phones. It enabled me to make sense of the show. She later took me to the mathematics exhibition herself. She was very helpful and I appreciate the fact that she went out of her way for me.

The gift shop has some great books for children which were selling at 50% off.

This museum is a must-see for anyone wishing to learn about ancient greek history the easy way. The building is beautiful and technological tools are state of the art. I didnt see anything like this even at Disney when I went there in 2003.

7 Thank Andalusianeyes

• Greek first
Alberta Canada
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Provided good information but didn't take long to go throught and too expensive”
Reviewed 6 May 2010

After reading the reviews on this place, we thought it would be a good experience for our 5 and 7 year olds. The staff member (educations specialist) recommended we should purchase two exhibition tickets. The Mathematical exhibition was okay, the kids liked the hands on activities, but the overall math concepts were above their heads, Then our second exhibition was a art gallery, boring for our youngsters.

The virtual reality experience (the cave) was again okay, it was about 10 minutes long and you stand in room to be taken through Acropolis and a virtual Olympic games. Again, the kids enjoyed the 3D effects but did not get the overall concepts.

I guess what was the most disappointing was the cost. It cost us 50 Euro for our family of 4 and that included a discount because one of us is a teacher. We were done with centre in less than two hours.

Yes, our children would have gotten more out of it if they were older, however; most of the exhibitions were uneventful and boring.

3 Thank Tompat923
Athens/Greece
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“This is a spectacular experience viewing interactive museum of Greece”
Reviewed 20 February 2010

It is a unique site in Greece which combines the high technique of visual ultra modern museum

5 Thank chiotisAthens