“Your Prepaid Confirmation means nothing!”

Acropolis Hill Hotel
Ranked #24 of 282 Hotels in Athens
Reviewed 21 June 2014

I booked 2 rooms for 3 days in this hotel a month ahead of our arrival. I booked directly through the hotel website ... not through Expedia or other booking site. The rooms were prepaid in FULL...this was not just a reservation. As a matter of fact, the entire booking charge was non-refundable in the event WE canceled. So they had over $1000 of my money for a month before we even showed up.

Because we were arriving late at night and I did not want to deal with the hassle of going to another hotel after 24hours of travel from California (and I'd read the other reviews), I emailed them twice about our late arrival. I emailed both the address from the confirmation and the contact email address on the hotel website. I emailed right after making the reservations and a couple days before we left. Obviously the contact address on the website must be monitored but I never received a reply to either email.

Sure enough, we got there and the guy at the desk told us no rooms were available. I told him I had emailed to confirm. He shrugged and said "well you didn't email me". As if I could know his personal email! If the rooms are paid in full no confirmation should even be necessary!

I was in a total daze from the travel but we were very lucky in that we had the world's nicest taxi driver. He didn't leave us and actually argued for us with the guy at the desk in Greek for a while before taking us to the other hotel (Hotel Divani Acropolis). He also refused extra money to drive us to the second hotel.

The Acropolis Hill guy told us the Divani was 5 stars as if we were getting a big upgrade. I don't know what the stars mean but I looked online and the price was only a few euro more than Acropolis Hill. We were told we would not have to pay anything extra but I had to pay 25 euro for WiFi which would have been included at the Acropolis Hill. The people at the Divani didn't know what I was talking about when I told the WiFi was supposed to be included. Since the situation was not their fault I did not argue. The Divani was OK (reviewed separately) but the rooftop dining was closed which was one of the major features I had used to choose a hotel.

The thing that really irks me is if we paid for the rooms they should be held regardless of arrival time. It is obvious this hotel overbooks regularly in the hopes of getting paid double for the rooms. The desk clerk's attitude that this was somehow my fault was really galling. Overall my trip to Greece was wonderful but this hotel was a very unpleasant start.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank VR0bbins

Reviewed 19 June 2014

The hotel was just as it was described on the website. It wasn't fancy, but it was clean, well-located, and the staff were friendly. It's a nice quiet location, but close to the main sites. The pool was cold but refreshing. The breakfast was good, for a free breakfast. I would definitely stay here again. We were a bit confused about the free transport from the airport (if you stay for at least three nights) - we tried to confirm the arrangement with the hotel but they didn't get back to us - but were pleasantly surprised to see a driver with our name on a sign at the airport.

Room Tip: We asked for an Acropolis view but didn't get one, but the view from the roof was amazing.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Guapasmurf
Reviewed 19 June 2014

This is a lovely little hotel with a few drawbacks, we too had been a vitim of overbooking but, unlike the previous reviewer, we had a great experience and they were gracious and kind about moving us to the Athens Ledra which was fine.

The rooms here are small but perfectly formed with nice balconies with a view of the Acropolis which is perfect. You can walk easily up there or along to the Plaka, there are hills though so it's not for the unfit!

The breakfast is very average more like a glamorous continental than full American. The breakfast at the Ledra was far superior.

They also need to invest in some umbrellas in the pool area as it was WAY too sunny for us to sit beside the pool in the afternoon or on the 'Roof Garden" either. The two olive trees in pots are not much of a garden, lol.

I would stay here again based on location and they offer good free WIFI thru the hotel and you can easily park in the street outside the hotel which is important for us as we always have a car.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Rooms are small but very functional. Staff are very helpful and pleasant. Breakfast was plentiful and hot every morning. You really can't beat the location--located next to Filopappos Hill, the Acropolis is a 10 minute walk and there are plenty of restaurants and shops along the way. If you stay here, I would recommend climbing to the top of Filopappos Hill one morning to watch the sunrise over the Acropolis.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Sarah B
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We arrived only to be told we had no room due to the hotel being overbooked, despite our booking being made a month in advance and being guaranteed. We were sent by cab to an inferior and cheaper hotel without being offered any kind of compensation. The room was terrible and the view was onto a back alley and abandoned buildings ( I would post a picture if I could). After a lot of complaining and my wife being reduced to tears they sent us to a different hotel. It was an improvement but when we arrived we were treated as a nuisance rather than guests. Never again

Room Tip: I can't comment as we never got to experience the hotel, all I can say is we treated very shabbi...
Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Michael A
Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

This hotel overall is very good.
The staff were very friendly and helpful and always greeted us with a smile.
I would definitely check that the hotel has not been overbooked before arriving, as the taxi driver from the airport led us to believe this is a common problem !
The hotel is in a quiet area a short walk from the " acropolis " and the area of plaka, which is full of restaurants, shops etc.
The rooms are not big, we found them suitable, but this is only a problem if you want to spend all day in them. Bathroom was a good size, although carefully direct shower head, otherwise floor gets flooded.
Breakfast was good, plenty of fruit, cereal, coffee etc, typically what you would expect.
The swimming pool is maybe only in the sun for a couple of hours a day as it is surrounded by tall building's.
The road from the hotel to the " acropolis " should be carefully navigated, as pavements are few and far between and can become quite busy with cars and motorcycles.
One downside of this hotel, as we found being on the fourth floor, directly below the roof terrace ( which does have an amazing view ) is that late at night if people decide to use it, the movement of furniture, does become quite annoying for people below trying to sleep.
Apart from that, I would give the hotel an 8/10 rating.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Andrew M
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Small rooms but great view of the Acropolis. Very clean. Staff was friendly and helpful. Would stay here again. Enjoyed the balcony in the evenings. Very accommodating in the restaurant as we had to leave at 7:00 am. Breakfast isn't till 8, but they had some pastry and fruit and drinks available for us

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family