“Exceptional location, great value for money, very helpful staff”
Review of Plaka Hotel

Plaka Hotel
Ranked #13 of 326 Hotels in Athens
Geneva, Switzerland
“Exceptional location, great value for money, very helpful staff”
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Hotel Plaka is situated in the middle of the old town of Athens, easy to reach from Monastiriki or Syntagma, next to numerous shops, tavernas, bars and restaurants. The Acropolis, the Acropolis Museum, Plaka, the flee market and many other places are at walking distance. The rooms of the hotel are great, very clean, with a fabulous view on the Acropolis, which is ever more astounding from the exceptional roof terrasse. The breakfast buffet is fantastic and delicious with a big choice of food including the obligatory delicious greek yoghurt to which one can add as much greek honey as one can digest. I will certainly return to the Plaka hotel for my next trip to Greece.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view on the Acropolis. And don't forget to go to the roof terrasse.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Leon158
It’s great to know that the hotel as well as the comfort and cleanliness of the rooms were to your satisfaction. I am happy that the hotel location was convenient to your needs and that you enjoyed breakfast and in particularly the greek yogurt! We will be looking forward to welcome you soon in the future!
Best regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (606)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Twillingate, Canada
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Our first trip to Athens. After researching on the internet decided on the Plaka. Couldn't have made a better choice. Perfect location. Everything we wanted to see was within walking distance. We stayed on 3 different occasions - after visiting Santorini and after a bus tour. We had a room with acropolis view which was fantastic! For 1 night we had a room with balcony - nice view of street below. The rooms were larger than I expected and very clean. Comfortable beds and good showers. Wide variety of food for breakfast and nice seating area. Great views from rooftop lounge. Staff at the front desk were very helpful. We stored luggage here when we did our overnight excursions.

Room Tip: Pay extra for acropolis view- it is worth it.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear KELIZABETHCHIP
I am truly touched by your wonderful review! First and foremost, thank you for choosing our hotel on your vacation trip to Athens. It’s great to know that our goal to provide our guest with memorable experience,our central location,breakfast, clean rooms and exceptional customer service was accomplished during your stay. Thank you for giving us opportunity to call you our guest and we will be looking forward to welcome you back soon!
Cheshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Location is fantastic. Right in the centre of Plaka and all the lovely Tavernas and shops. Ideal base for seeing Athens.
Hotel is very clean and comfortable and the staff couldn't be more helpful. Room upgrade to give us an Acropolis view was a lovely gesture. Views from the roof top terrace are amazing.
The breakfast was excellent and has something to suit everybody's appetite.
Would highly recommend this hotel and will definitely stay here again when I visit Athens.

Room Tip: Choose a room with an Acropolis view - well worth it!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Jotilley
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with travel community! It’s great to know that you enjoyed hotel location and that our staff was there when you needed them to answer your questions. I am happy that you enjoyed breakfast experience and the free upgrated to an Acropolis view room. I hope that we will get a chance to welcome you back one day!
All the Best!
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

A great little hotel in a fantastic location. Room was smaller than I anticipated, but it was clean and well maintained. Only criticism of the room was the fridge. I was told that it was designed to just keep cool, not cold. I would not have called it cool as the tap water was colder than anything in the fridge. Only a minor matter though. I also agree with a previous post, the gentlemen on the front desk need a tad more personality.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dorina S, General Manager at Plaka Hotel, responded to this review, 10 May 2014
Dear Steve N
We really like to ensure that our guests are comfortable and able to benefit from a relaxing break with us. It is unfortunate that while staying with us you never mentioned anything regarding your room thus let me point out that our hotel offers three different types of rooms! If you come back please contact us directly in order to provide you a room that will meet your needs. As per your comment about the refrigerator I would like to inform you that there is a thermostat inside so you can set the coolness in it. Thank you for spending time providing us with your sincere evaluation. If I can ever be of any service to you please do not hesitate to contact me personally.
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 25 April 2014

This hotel has great location, rooms with decent sizes, an amazing rooftop deck with direct views of the acropolis, good breakfast, an amazing concierge named Eva, a young trainee lady who was sweet as sugar, but yet it lacked any kind of heart beating within it. I believe the men who worked behind the desk could use a course in how to smile, how to say good morning and know its morning. They were all nice enough, they just lacked a pulse and a personality. Had anyone of them demonstrated anything like caring, the hotel would be closer to a 5. Would I stay there again. In a heartbeat if not blackballed

Room Tip: Ask for an acropolis view or a room with a balcony
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dorina S, General Manager at Plaka Hotel, responded to this review, 10 May 2014
Dear denverchucko
It is true that we do our best to keep our clients happy, therefore I am disappointed we had heard of you that we lacked any kind of heart beating within it. Our staff is well experienced in providing every possible solution to our guests and make them feel like home away from home! I will discuss this matter with them in order to improve..We're happy to hear that you overall enjoyed your stay with us. Please contact us directly next time you wish to book and stay with us!
Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed 23 April 2014

I spent several months planning a family trip to Greece. In January 2014 I finalized our itinerary and paid in full for all our overnight accommodations. We were confirmed at The Plaka for 3 nights. 24 hours before we left on our trip The Plaka informed me that they overbooked and they took it upon themselves to relocate us. I'm sure we were not the most recent reservation on their books. They placed us in a less desirable location and the rooms were less expensive than the rate I paid for The Plaka. They did not refund any of my money. Overall we had a wonderful trip but I just wanted others, who are researching and planning, to be aware of this Hotel's practices.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
15 Thank suepevo
Dorina S, General Manager at Plaka Hotel, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Dear Suepevo,
I checked our records and in January we received a request from your tour operator. We were already booked and unfortunately we couldn't confirm your reservation They requested again in March, to double check if there was any cancellation, but still we were full.
I have already sent in private message (through TA) all the correspondence with them to prove you that it isn't either our practice to over book, neither of our responsibility the fact you were booked to another hotel. Also we never sent a letter prior to your arrival about the change.We did not have any idea until you brought the matter on TripAdvisor. I understand how much time you have put in until you decide which hotel to book and your disappointment, but as you can see for yourself, our hotel never confirmed the reservation.
If you still believe that any of the above is different from what I am disrcibing please send me an email to : plaka@athenshotelsgroup.com .
Waiting for your reply.
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 22 April 2014

We finished of every night sitting on the terrace admiring the view with a freshly prepared drink in hand. Rooms were very clean. Location is awesome. Staff were all helpful. Happy to arrange a large taxi booking for our group. Would stay here again.

Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Dorina S, General Manager at Plaka Hotel, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Dear paulie316
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and share your experience with the travel community. Our goal is to ensure complete satisfaction and I am very happy that we accomplished this during your time with us.