Plaka Hotel
US$180
US$166
Elvoline
3,542 results
All reviewsrooftop bargreat locationwithin walking distancefree tea and coffeebreakfast roomrooftop viewsyntagma squarean amazing viewflea marketroof gardenancient agoracentral locationmajor sitesgreek yogurtbreakfast was excellentrestaurants and shopswould highly recommend this hotel
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 17 May 2009

I stayed at Plaka Hotel for four nights this week. I stayed in Room 610, facing the Acropolis, which is a very narrow end room, but was fine for a solo traveler. I think I stayed in the same room as the previous reviewer, and in light of the size of the room, I don't think it would really suit more than one person staying there.

I'll admit, the view of the Acropolis from my room was great, but in hindsight don't think it was totally worth the money, considering that I could look up at it whenever I wanted when wandering around Plaka. In addition, the walls are VERY thin. I was lucky to not have neighbors every night I was there (either that, or they spent a lot of time out of their room) but one night I literally felt like I was in the same room as my neighbors - I think they were checking out late so they were running around, packing, chatting, dropping things on the hardwood floor, so it was very noisy.

I only had the breakfast one day. If you like all kinds of toast, you will be fine, but other than (fantastic) yogurt, I didn't find much to be edible.

Also, the rooftop deck - I have to admit it was kind of a disappointment. I went up there the first night I got in and that's it. Although, once again, the view of the Acropolis was fantastic, that was about it. It was pretty much a bunch of tables and chairs strewn about, with the only light at night being a florescent light coming from the service area, and no music. I think this area could be improved greatly at little expense. The gal working at serving drinks was very friendly, but I kind of felt like I was at a snack shack on the 9th hole of a golf course.

Lastly, I ended up paying an arm and a leg for wifi while I was there. I wasn't advised that I could buy a 24 hour chunk of time which was only 20 EU, and ended up paying 60 EU for less time than that (and the connection was very slow). I know, I know, you're probably thinking I'm on holiday, and why should I be spending so much time on the internet. But as a solo traveler, I wanted to keep in touch with back home, not to mention I find my laptop to be very useful when traveling to figure out what to do and where to go when I'm in a city I've never been in before. I mentioned the wifi charge when I checked out, and their attitude was 'too bad, so sad' and nothing else. It was also unfortunate that I didn't really find the desk staff to be very approachable for asking even simple directions.

All in all, the location is great if you want to be in the heart of Plaka, but when I return to Athens I'm certain I will stay outside of Plaka and pay less. The metro in Athens is so ridiculously simple and fast, I wouldn't think twice about staying in a less touristy area and save a chunk of money.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank AmelieVancouver
Reviewed 16 May 2009

We stayed there for 3 nights and find that the hotel is strategically located, walking distance to Syntagma Sq, Plaka area and Monastiraki Metro. The location is superb with many restaurants and shops located just less than 5mins away from our doorstep. We even managed to take slow stroll up to the Acropolis in the morning.

There was a rooftop garden which overlooks the Acropolis. The only setback was the room was too small (we unfortunately got the smallest room on the 6th floor). The shower cubicle in the bathroom was so small you can't raise your arms without hitting the wall or the shower door. Our requested double bed consists of 2 single beds places next to each other.

We particularly enjoyed the breakfast as there were freshly baked croissants...just lovely. There's not a lot of variety but overall it was good enough for us. Definitely recommend Plaka Hotel to our friends anytime...the location is just perfect.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PiggyKMS
Reviewed 10 May 2009

We found the Plaka fo be an excellent location with easy walking to all the sites. We were in Rm. 511 with a great view of the Acropolis. The room was basic but immaculate and the bathroom seemed to have been recently remodeled with new, bright blue tiling. The men at the front desk were all very helpful with our many questions. The breakfast was one of the most complete buffets of our stay in Greece, of 10 hotels. The view from the rooftop terrace was also incredible. On our check-out day we had to leave at 5 a.m. and they opened up the breakfast room for us to get some basics---so nice! The only challenge was the oddly designed shower situation---we could not help but get water all over the floor---this is minor compared to all its many assets. We would stay there again!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank yellowrose2
Reviewed 26 April 2009

I liked this hotel because it had a great location, a great view, and the rooms were clean. My room temperature was comfortable, but I did stay there in April when the weather was mild. The men at the front desk weren't overly friendly, but some were nicer than others. I did love the rooftop balcony with views of the Accropolis and the city. There was hardly anyone there when I was up there in the mornings and evenings. We were able to walk to the top of the Accropolis from our hotel, the ruins looked a lot further than they were. It was a beautiful walk through the city as well as up the mountain. After riding through the city to go on the day cruise to the islands, I realized that I was in a great location in Athens. I passed by some rough looking areas in other parts of the city. At the Plaka there is more of a village feeling.
My room was simple, the bed was comfortable, but the bathroom was quite small. The shower was odd, you had to step up into it. This could be dangerous for an elderly person.
The maids were nice and they did a great job cleaning the rooms. My father accidentally left his gold chain and medallion in the room. It was still there after his room was cleaned. I can honestly say that I was impressed that it was still there.
It could be a little noisy at night, it seems like the city didn't sleep until about 3 AM. However it was tolerable if the sliding glass door was closed. I felt safe at this hotel and I would definitley stay there again. The post office was nearby too, and there was a big home center called Hondos, kind of like our walmart. However this place had more upscale products. It came in real handy when my luggage got lost for 5 days.
The breakfast was decent and saved me a lot of money. I liked the hot chocolate, goat cheese, and fresh oranges. I am still not sure what the juice was.
Overall I was extremely satisfied with this place.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank southpawcity7
Reviewed 13 April 2009

Our review of the Plaka is pretty much the same as others; however, we had somewhat of a unique experience because we stayed in three different rooms!
Because of side trips to Santorini and Napflion, we stayed at the Plaka three separate tuimes, and each time we had a different room -- and each of the three rooms was in different condition. We had one with rust around the shower and a toilet that you had to sit sideways on (no room for knees), but then we had another room with a very nice new tiled bathroom that was very very nice. Our third room was somewhere in between. Soooo, arrive early and ASK TO LOOK AT SEVERAL ROOMS, IF POSSIBLE, as there is a great difference in quality among them).

The location IS very nice, and the view of the Parthenon from the rooftop bar is spectacular. (Athens is a gigantic sprawling city, and it's really important to be centrally located -- somewhere around Syntagma Square seems best.) We found the front desk service to be competent and knowledgable, but not overly helpful unless asked specific questions.

Would we stay there again -- with the price and location, yes -- but we'd make sure that we ended up in one of there nicer remodeled rooms from Day One.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple