“Great hotel, Great location,Great staff”

Hotel Grande Bretagne, A Luxury Collection Hotel
Ranked #4 of 282 Hotels in Athens
Reviewed 30 September 2011

We spent the last 2 evening's of our stay in Greece at the G.B. I was in contact with the hotel prior to our stay,I am a SPG gold member,we were upgraded to a suite,with a balcony,facing the Acropolis,and parliament,and it was a surprise stay for my wife,celebrating her 5oth birthday.The hotel,and it's staff could not do enough to make our stay memorable,and they did not let,the strike's,taxi,metro,get in the way of a memorable stay.From Christos,G.B.roof bartender,Stelios,house driver,Concierge George,just to mention a few,the professionalism and attention to customer satisfaction shown to us was outstanding.The location of the G.B. was perfect for wining,dining,and we were in history,and it was all around us.We had dinner res.,but there was a taxi strike,problem,not.The house car was called we were driven to,and picked up from the restaurant after our meal.No charge.That's service,it's the detail's that make a great hotel,that's The Grande Bretagne.Thank's to Maria and all her staff for making Louise's birthday,one to remember.Gia Sas

Room Tip: Our suite had a balcony was facing the parliament building's,The Acropolis,3rd floor even numbe...
2  Thank Mamasboy
Write a ReviewReviews (3,474)

Reviewed 29 September 2011

Definitely did not live up to reputation.Firstly when we emailed concierge for details of cost of car from airport and found out it was going to be 140 Euro compared to taxi of 35 euro we said we would catch taxi instead the next day.We weren't told there was taxi strike.Airport was chaos and we had to get bus with 4 weeks of luggage.Then turned up at hotel with no-one to help us.
We unloaded and went to Acropolis and came back at 4:30 for a swim and a drink by the pool as it was 90 degrees.There were only 30 chairs for 300 rooms,all occupied all saved.Get some more chairs and don't let people save them all day.
Bar staff were hopeless.It took 15 minutes to get drink order and only after complaining .Whoever was loudest and most demanding got served.Quite a few others complained.The bar person apologised,took my order and then started stacking glasses.
This was our last night and we had booked rooftop restaurant 3 months earlier for my 50th birthday and last day of trip.It was suppose to be one of tables looking at the Acropolis.Firstly the smug manager took us to a table with other people,then gave us crappy table,then told us he had not lost our booking so lucky I could produce the email.He then gave us a table out back with with impaired view as by now all good tables taken.
The waitress was really nice.This was our only bad experience in 4 weeks of travel.If it was one thing fine ,but taken together very ordinary service and planning.Food ,wine and room good.When we told concierge of above ,response was sorry you were disappointed.Others rave about this hotel but we had ordinary experience

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank wenmic
Htl_Grande_Bretagne, Manager at Hotel Grande Bretagne, A Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments after your recent stay at the Hotel Grande Bretagne. We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy all aspects of your stay with us and wish it would have been different. However, we would like you to take into consideration the fact that this hotel has a 137-year history and it first opened its doors back in 1874. And even though it was completely renovated back in 2003, it will be quite difficult to find another hotel in the center of Athens combining such historic architecture and a swimming pool on its roof top. Nevertheless, this is no excuse for the service you received while at the Pool Bar or the GB Roof Garden and for this please accept our apologies. We assure you that we will attend to the points you highlighted. In regards to the transfer from the airport to the hotel, this would have been arranged by limousine service, since taxis were on strike. It is our Concierge’s standard practice to inform our guests of the service arranged for them and the price details, and of course of any upcoming strikes that might impede on their transportation and plans. We do hope to be given the opportunity to welcome you back in the future and may we also belatedly wish you, Happy Birthday.

Reviewed 28 September 2011

The Grande Bretagne is one of those hotels from the majestic era of hotels. Common areas are beautiful and well maintained, the spa is very nice with great service (a little on the expensive side), room service was quick, accurate and tasty, the outdoor pool is on the small side with limited seating. The rooms are opulent, but not well maintained. I am a platinum member of the SPG family which entitles me to a suite, but on their first attempt to give me a room they gave me a very small standard room; however, after reaching out to management I was upgraded to a nice suite. One of my biggest pet peeves is having to go to management to ask for something that should already be in their consideration. I detest when a hotel tests the waters to see what they can get away with when dealing with a client that is a loyal customer. Athens doesn't have a whole lot to choose from when it comes to fine hotels, so if I were to return to Athens I would stay at this hotel again; however, I would call ahead to be sure that everything is arrange to my liking.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank wpj26
Reviewed 27 September 2011

Check in is 5 stars. Butler service with Angelos and Gianni is exceptional. Deluxe suite upgrade. Glasses of champagne in 6th floor VIP reception and 2 complimentary beverage at pool bar while waiting for the room to be ready.

Right next to Parliament an close walk to museum Zeus and acropolis

Fruit water and liquer gift from tim GM was nice touch.

Fast internet.

Across street from Sytanga station so breeze to airport an back on Blue Line- make sure has airplane decal on window or turns into yellow line commuter train a couple of stops from CDG

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed 26 September 2011

We spent a total of 3 nights at this full service hotel located right on Syntagma Square with a beautiful view of the Acropolis. The key word for this hotel is "service". We were there during the taxi strike and had to get to port for a cruise. They provided a shuttle transport service "of course". I was going to stay at another highly rated hotel in Athens, but when I questioned the concierge about transport services - they answered that they didn't know anything about a taxi strike and they didn't help with transportation. I was mostly annoyed about the comment that they didn't know anything about any taxi strikes. You would have had to have your head in the sand to not know. Therefore, I changed tothe Grande Bretagne and I am glad that I did.
Our last night, we were upgraded to an acropolis view with a spectacular balcony on Syntagma Square. We spent all evening soaking in the acropolis, Syntagma square and all the goings on there as well as the Parliment while enjoying a room service top notch dessert and wine. Spectacular.
The breakfast each morning was very good with an incredible view. The pool bar was a very pleasant place to enjoy a glass of wine before going out for the evening. I am glad it was open until 8 pm while we were there. It is an underused spot in the hotel. All staff were wonderful - not the typical aloof front desk or concierge services.
The decor is a little old fashioned, but it is very clean and grows on you after a while. The beds are comfortable and room temperature adjustable to your setting. I would return in the future.

Room Tip: Acropolis view - butler service floors
1  Thank debp
Reviewed 25 September 2011

I have beenstaying in this Hotel for more than 35 years, and have never reviewed it.
The only reason for this is that I now use tripadvisor to review any new hotels that I plan on staying in, and decided it was time to pass on my feelings for this Grand old dame of Athens.
I have been through the renovations, and was worried how it would come putthe other end. The answer is a grand old dame became the Queen of Athens.
If you want a true Luxury Greek experience, this is the only hotel in Athens that can offer this.
The Roof Terrace Restaurant has the most spectacular views of the Acropolis.
Breakfast and dinner take on very different atmospheres, calm and relaxing in the morning to Greek buzz in the Evenings.
The food is as good as it gets in Athens, the new chef is a real talent,I think he is the best chef the hotel has ever had.
GB corner is the Greek restaurant, it also, in my opinion is the best Greek food in Athens.
ll of the above along with excellent service thoughout the entire hotel, from the roof top and indoor swimming pools to the Spa and professional butler service, makes this hotel " very special"

• Stayed: September 2011
1  Thank fcworld
Htl_Grande_Bretagne, Manager at Hotel Grande Bretagne, A Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2011

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for your warm comments about the Hotel Grande Bretagne, following your recent stay here. It is so nice to hear that we have guests that know exactly what the history of this hotel means and enjoy the high standard services and facilities we aim to offer. Once again thank you and we hope to welcome you back in the very near future.

Reviewed 24 September 2011

We stayed one night on Sept 19, 2011 in a king room over looking the acropolis and the "protest square ".
The check- in was "cruise boat central", worse than Atlantis or Vegas. After exactly 25 minutes in line, we had a very nice room. However the luggage took two hours to get delivered to the room. The room was large with beautiful slab marble and wood grain doors and closets that do not exist in any hotel in the US. The hotel has been remodeled and everything worked well including the a/c . Note the room did not have any type of coffee maker.
The spa was one of the best anywhere, large,indoor pool, mutiple steam rooms and the fitness was one of the largest I have seen. The fitness room even offered wireless headsets.
As usual with a five star hotel the meals in the hotel were overpriced. We had lunc; two persons, one item each and two cokes, 75 euro.
The location was excellent except the bullhorns from the protestors making it difficult to sleep until about midnight when they went home.
The roof top bar and restaurant are really unique and worth the time and money to visit. The breakfast on the roof overlooking the city was great.
The staff were average, but very adequate.
Be aware that Athens is covered in graffiti and the air traffic controllers and taxis were on strike, thus expect delays. fYI the new museum next to the Acropolis is really cool and worth the visit.

Room Tip: If you want it quite do not front the streets.
2  Thank chevydallas