“You can't beat this place”

Hotel Grande Bretagne, A Luxury Collection Hotel
Ranked #4 of 281 Hotels in Athens
Reviewed 18 March 2012

I know you're saying "We can't afford it" - but stop right there. You can't afford to miss it. This hotel is by far one of the best places I've stayed, ever. And that includes four and five star hotels in Las Vegas and New York. The staff is impeccable and the epitome of professionalism. The rooms are fantastic - so much so that you probably won't want to leave them. It is pricey but honestly you'll have an experience you'll remember the rest of your life.

Room Tip: If you arrive by metro, look for the "Grande Bretagne" exit, because then you don't ha...
2  Thank Jessica B

Reviewed 17 March 2012

Highly recommend this hotel to anybody travelling to Athens. Its location is a boon to a solo traveller. Just step out and you can explore shops, cafe's and all the while surrounded with some breathtaking ancient sights.

The staff is very friendly and efficient. Requests are promptly attended to. The roof top restaurant with the view of ACropolis is a treat. specially at night with the monument lit the view from this restaurant is truly memorable. The food is good and so is the service. The same cannot be said about the lounge at the lobby level.

The spa was good but definitely not great specially considering the big price tag for the treatments. I found the therapist a bit indifferent.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank fivestarholidays
Reviewed 5 March 2012

The Grande Bretagne was fantastic in all respects. The premises are beautiful, the rooms very well appointed, the service outstanding, and the location unbeatable. The view of the Acropolis, parliament and much of the rest of the city from the rooftop restaurant is specatcular. I thoroughly enjoyed the breakfast buffet each morning sitting out on the patio overlooking the acropolis. Walks about the historic district are easy from this location. Even with many protests in Syntagma Square outside the front doors, we never felt unsafe at the hotel. Loved the "house" dogs on the front steps. I highly recommend a stay at the Hotel Grande Bretagne if you can fit it into your travel budget.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the Parliament side of the hotel will have your best view.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank obxforus
Htl_Grande_Bretagne, Manager at Hotel Grande Bretagne, A Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2012

Dear Guest,

Receiving your feedback means a lot to us and we would like to thank you for taking the time to post your comments after your recent stay at the Hotel Grande Bretagne. We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time with us, especially our GB Roof Garden restaurant and its magical views. Looking forward to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 3 March 2012

Real classy hotel. Beautiful clean rooms, very helpful staff, located in the center of the town.GB Winter Garden is really cosy and serves tasteful healthy meals. GB Roof Garden is a nice restaurant serving great food, offering breathtaking view of the Athens and Acropolis.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lidi A
Reviewed 29 February 2012

This hotel is spectacular and crammed with past glory... The roof top restaurant with a spectacular view over Acropolis is just amazing. And the location: you are in the middle of everything. It's a big hotel and you get the kind of feling that if Churchill came around the corner it'd be quite normal. I got the same feeling at Château Frontenac in Quebec... you are drifting in the past but you have all the comforts of present.

1  Thank Esa W
Reviewed 29 February 2012

On my trip to Croatia and Greece, this hotel was my splurge as many friends had highly recommended it. For me, the hotel had some highs and some lows. First off, do not book the hotel car service from the airport as it is literally a yellow cab at 3x the cost you will pay for catching one at the airport. The hotel itself is beautiful, and the desk staff at check-in were nice. We ate at the restaurant on the roof, and the view was absolutely breath taking. The meal was expensive, but honestly one of the best of my life. The hotel is a good jumping off point for walking around Athens to see the sites if you don't mind walking a bit. The real problem here was when I went to check out. I wasn't sure if it was the fact I only stayed one night, or was in shorts due to the warm weather and walking around, but I was treated very poorly as I tried to check out, get my bags that were held with the concierge and catch the over-priced car I had booked to the airport. The concierge was especially rude and when I requested my bags asked if I was even staying there. I replied that I was, to which he said to wait there. 10 minutes later, he stopped just long enough to tell me my bags were 'outside' at which point I found my luggage on the sidewalk...unattended...in Athens. I then had to go back in to find my car to which he replied, 'You booked a car...through us?' He then finally pointed me to the yellow taxi they had called. I understand that this hotel has some wealthy clientele, but I could not have been too far outside the norm of the guests, and regardless I saw no reason for him to spoil my visit with this type of behavior.

4  Thank Joe10014
Reviewed 25 February 2012

Had a great experience at Grande Bretagne. The staff is extremely competent, the location is superb (you can walk everywhere), and the rooftop restaurant has the best view of Athens.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family