“Best in class”

Ranked #4 of 327 Hotels in Athens
London, England
“Best in class”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

This is a first-rate hotel, with all the facilities one needs. It has a wonderful top-floor eating and drinking space. The service is immaculate.
Our room (708) was on a "butler service" floor and its balcony afforded views of both the Acropolis and Parliament - including the Sunday morning Changing of the Guard, with the, shall we say, interesting, marching steps. The butlers (more female than male, we thought) provided a concierge service - a good one, but no more than that. We did not try them out on bringing a tea tray or breakfast.

The room was well-equipped and kept, but small. There was a shortage of drawer space. We stayed for four nights and frankly if we had brought things for longer, there would not have been enough space.

The hotel's gem (perhaps goldmine would be a better expression) is the 8th floor space. We dined there twice and on each occasion had a table on the veranda. One of you gets the magnificent view of the Acropolis. We also had breakfast there each morning and a cool drink before changing to go out for dinner on another evening. It was busy each time we were there, but the staff dealt with us (and I expect everyone else) courteously, calmly and correctly.

This then is the place to go. I think the butler floor room was unnecessary. I wonder whether I could have paid less to get a larger room.

Strongly recommended

Room Tip: Ask for an Acropolis view.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank FirstBruno

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (745)
  • Arabic first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Genève
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

Perfect location (every historic site is near as well as shopping) for city or business trips. Courteous employees, very nice yet cosy rooms and a fantastic spa (you Must try a massage there). I very much prefer this hotel to the St George Lycabettus where we stayed once. Too bad it's not a seaside resort or I ll go more often.

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank Nelda68
Htl_Grande_Bretagne, Manager at Hotel Grande Bretagne, A Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for writing your feedback after your recent stay at the Hotel Grande Bretagne. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again very soon.
Luzon, Philippines
Reviewed 14 June 2014

I never though that a regal hotel such as this exists in Athens and it is just refreshing and wonderful to have experience their service. Lobby is grand, room is fit for royals (our balcony room overlooks Syntagma Square), bathroom is the best (with his and hers lavatory), staff are so polite, kind and accomodating and they speak English very well (even the beggar we met is fluent in English), buffet breakfast at the rooftop with the Acropolis as background is just unforgettable. Above all, the hotel's location is perfect. Very very near the bus stop for airport shuttle and hop on hop off tour bus. So, please, stay in this hotel when in Athens and feel what a luxury hotel is.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jeanette A
Sausalito, California
Reviewed 11 June 2014

This hotel could not be any easier to get to from the airport. You can take the metro to Syntagma Square and the hotel is right across the street. Super easy! As soon as you enter, you just feel the Old World charm of the hotel. It just feels so glamorous!

Since we had the Butler room, we had to go to the 6th floor for private check in. The room was spacious with a huge terrace. The best part was the stunning view of the Acropolis. Bathroom was huge and the toiletries were excellent. Despite it being a classic hotel, all of the amenities were very modern. Wi-fi was excellent in the room.

My favorite part of the hotel is the oh so fabulous GB Spa. Even if you don't have a treatment booked, you can still use the facilities which include an indoor pool, laconium, sauna, steam room, ice bath, foot spa, etc. Quite possibly the best spa I have ever been to and I have been to a lot!

Location of the hotel is excellent. You can walk or metro to the Acropolis and Plaka. There is also a ton of shopping and restaurants right outside the hotel. Service here is very friendly and helpful. This hotel was the perfect way to start off our trip to Greece and I look forward to staying here again!

Room Tip: 6th floor with a view of the Acropolis
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank MissBabblicious
new york city
Reviewed 9 June 2014

The Grande Bretagne is an exquisite hotel with absolutely stunning rooftop views of the Acropolis and city of Athens.

The rooms are large and splendid. Service is exceptional throughout the hotel.

There is a pool. It is not a large pool, but it is a lovely place to go in the afternoon to sunbathe and relax with a cocktail.

Make sure to dine in the rooftop restaurant for either the breakfast buffet (which is tasty and expansive and offers morning views of the Acropolis)... or dinner in the Michelin-starred restaurant (where you will see the Acropolis lit up against the gorgeous blue sky). Both meals are worth it simply for the view alone.

NOTE: Book spa appointments prior to travel. I tried to book either a massage or a facial during my three day stay and they were completely unable to accommodate me. Thus, I would recommend booking as early as possible.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sheryl c
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

Tried to check in At 11 o clock and was told to come back at 4. At 4 I clock was told one room still not ready. Than took Concierge one hour to bring bags upto room. Not what u expect from a 5 star hotel. Room very small and overall impression not so good.

Stayed June 2014
6 Thank Michael665
Htl_Grande_Bretagne, Manager at Hotel Grande Bretagne, A Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for writing your comments after your recent stay at the Hotel Grande Bretagne. While I wish you had a better experience, it is feedback like this that we learn from and use to improve. We work hard to deliver an exceptional guest experience, and it's apparent in this case that we fell short. Hopefully we will be given the opportunity to welcome you back and be given a chance to earn back your trust.
Salt Lake City
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I am a regular customer of GB and I am staying every year spending 8-10 nights while on vacation. I always had a good experience with this hotel prior to this stay. This time I was given a very small and dark room and when I told them that the room was terrible, the front desk said that they have already upgraded me and told me that they have spent 1 hour trying to find a different room for me but the hotel was full - I cannot believe a 5 star hotel having worse room than the one that they assigned me. I was told that they talked to the front desk manager and that they do have better rooms available but priced higher and they would not grant me an upgrade unless I pay an extra 300 euros a day (total of 620 euro plus a day-over 900$ a day-tax excluded). When I told them that since the room was terrible I would be willing to spend up to 200 euro extra a day but i don't think is fair to pay the full price difference being a loyal customer and staying many nights every year they told me that they will not discount the upgrade. I had to stay in a small dark miserable room paying 320 euros a night (approx 500$ without taxes included), not a small price, for 8 nights and was the worst experience-vacation of my life. I have been visiting the front desk 3 days in a row trying to find a fair solution but you could tell they did not care unless you pay the full price for an upgrade. The housekeeping was a hit and miss...I had to call them everyday to make sure that my room would be cleaned at night and nevertheless they have missed it 3 times during my 8 nights stay. The only good hotel services were bellman and parking service that were pristine. NEVER AGAIN!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
14 Thank Stanley70
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback after your recent stay at the Hotel Grande Bretagne. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you experienced. Indeed the hotel was very full and we were unfortunately unable to upgrade you, like we usually do when you visit our hotel. As for the turn down service, your comments have been discussed with the Executive Housekeeper in order to take corrective action where necessary. Hopefully we will be given the opportunity to welcome you back in the future and give you the unique hotel experience that so many of our guests have grown so fond of.