“Luxury and location”

Hotel Grande Bretagne, A Luxury Collection Hotel
Ranked #4 of 282 Hotels in Athens
Reviewed 7 June 2009

We stayed at the Grande Bretange for 4 nights in May 2009 and really liked this hotel.

Booked on the Starwood website and got a deal for 210 Euro's per night which was considerably lower than their rack rate. Were allocated a Classic room on the 6th floor with a view of the inner courtyard - which was fine for us since I was concerned about noise.

Room: The room was plenty big for the 2 of us and very nicely decorated. The bathroom was huge and had all of the trappings of a 5* place. We were given 2 free bottles of water each day (they were placed in our minibar) and the turndown service was great.

Pools: We used both the outdoor and indoor pools while we were there and both were better than expected. The spa area (where the indoor pool is located) was relaxing - they allocate you a locker - slippers, bathrobe etc when you get down there. It wasnt crowded and sometime we had the whole place to ourselves. The outdoor pool area was also nice with a great view. Had lunch up there one day and the food was very good (I had read reviews and checked out the menus on-line so I wasnt shocked by the prices).

Meals: We had a few meals in the hotel - the breakfast in the outdoor area was great (but expensive). It was a wonderful start to the day to sit out with a view of the Acropolis and sip coffee. I splurged on it while we were in Athens. I will say that the service there was not always great, though. It seemed like the wait staff had too many tables and therefore had difficulty keeping up (as they didn't always respond to requests or fully reset the table). However, we also had dinner and a snack in the restaurant off of the lobby and the service there was excellent. I had the best ice-cream I have every had there - pistachio flavour...yum.

All in all, a great stay. Would recommend it and will definitely stay there again if we are back in Athens.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
5  Thank fishygal
There are newer reviews for Hotel Grande Bretagne, A Luxury Collection Hotel

Reviewed 3 June 2009

I will be staying at the Grande Bretagne in the near future. This morning I received a phone call from Maria at the Concierge's desk asking if I had any special requests for my upcoming stay. She was very nice and eager to make sure that our stay was good. Now that is good customer service!!!

I have stayed in luxury hotels around the world and I do not recall ever getting a call before my arrival to tell me they are looking forward to our stay and asking if we had any special requests.

This hotel is off to a good start with me!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank MansfieldTraveler
Htl_Grande_Bretagne, Management representative at Hotel Grande Bretagne, A Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2009

We read your review and are very happy to have received such positive remarks even before your stay at the Hotel Grande Bretagne. If there is anything else we can assist you with please feel free to contact us anytime. We look forward to welcoming you to our hotel and hope to exceed your expectations!

Reviewed 2 June 2009

Arrived to the Grande Bretagne following our trip from Santorini and Mykonos. The hotel is definitely in a great location on the main square within walking distance to many sights. When we first arrived at the hotel the front desk advised us about our room, when he mentioned it was not an Acropolis view room I asked why we weren't in an Acropolis view considering that was what we had booked. He said we weren't not booked in that category and that I was wrong. Luckily I had my confirmations that the hotel had sent me clearly stating our room. All of a sudden his attitude changed once he realized they made the mistake and he put us in a nice room with a view of the Acropolis on the 6th floor. We had butler service with the 6th floor but quite honestly the butler was awful. There were numerous times we called them for various requests and they could never seem to get to us promptly. Once I needed an iron and it took them over 45 min to get it to me. I also didn't have a spa menu in the room and asked for one and they took 30min to get that to me too. I ended up just walking down to the spa and finding it and booking it myself. It seemed that every time we called them they would say yes we will be there to discuss this with you in 5 min, but they would show up in 30-45min. We felt that the attitude was very pretentious. I also had booked dinner at the rooftop restaurant months ago and they said they would get us a great table. When we got there we were escorted to a table at the end with practically no view. I was quite disappointed considering how long ago I had planned this dinner and the contact I had with the resort. Plus the food was mediocre at best. The view from the rooftop bar was great, so I would say it is a nice place to grab a drink before heading somewhere else to eat. We also had an incident upon check out- they charged us over 150E/night more for our room then what I had on my confirmation. They acted like it was correct until I pulled out my confirmation again at which point they changed their tune again saying oh, of course your sheet is correct. I also thought it was rude of them to add a charity donation on the charge- I really don't mind giving to charity, but they should at least ask you and not just put it on the bill. We also went to the concierge to ask about restaurants and he was not helpful at all. He asked what we were doing during the day and I advised him my travel agent had booked us a private guided tour- once he heard that, he said well just ask your private guide about restaurant recommendations I am sure they can help you. I honestly thought the service here was poor and so snooty. We expected this to be a great place from all the reviews and the great things we heard from our travel agent. Every day there was also some loud speakers throughout the city with someone talking. It was so loud you could almost hear it in the room and definitely from the terrace and the breakfast area. I don't speak or understand Greek but we were told by one person at the hotel it was the police and another person told us it was to get European votes. I am really not sure what it was but it didn't make the experience of sitting outside relaxing. This is also a hotel that is used for conferences so it gets quite busy. There was a conference going on one of the days and they were holding all the elevators for the conference guests. I was waiting at the lobby elevator and was told to get on the one elevator that was open to guests that was going down not up. He tried to convince me that it was a great elevator and I should get on it?? I told him it is going down and I am going up? at that point he unlocked the "saved" elevator and allowed me access to go to my room. Unbelievable. Our last day there we also noticed Metal detectors at the front to get in and out because the President of Romania was staying there. Although I understand and am glad there were taking precautions it didn't end up feeling like a nice vacation spot with metal detectors to get into or out of your resort. The room was nice and classy but a bit dark, and yes the views were beautiful to the Acropolis. We did have a really nice dinner at Psarras with wonderful service there. We also had fun walking around Monastiraki and the Plaka area. Doing a private tour was nice to see the main sights since we weren't hoarded around with tons of tourist and went at our own pace. As far as the hotel though, the location was great but the service was pretty rude and unwelcoming in our opinion and if I were to ever go to Athens again I would not stay here.

Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Travcarib
Reviewed 2 June 2009

This is a top shelf hotel from top to bottom. This a beautiful hotel with attention paid to detail. The hotel lobby and common areas were gorgeous. The rooftop pool and lounge area were quite nice. Our room was classy and located on the butler's floor with a stunning view of the Acropolis from our large terrace. The room was average in size. I expected something a bit bigger for the price. The room was kept very clean and was adorned with lovely fabrics, high quality woods, and a pretty chandelier. Even the door handles were decorative. The bathroom was nice with a large marble countertop area, but the tub/shower combo was a bit too average for such an upscale hotel. The butler was an unexpected perk. He was very helpful and professional. The location of this hotel was excellent. Our experience was even better since we probably paid half of rack rate due to my friend's membership in a travel club. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank Blondii
Reviewed 1 June 2009

My wife and I were guests of the Grande Bretagne Hotel at Athens, Greece, from May 21th to May 24th, 2009. There are no words to describe it! It seems one of the glamourous places we would like to find since we are teens. The entire hall is like a palace. Try to stay in one of the rooms with view to the Acropolis. It will worth every penny you spend there. The location is the best possible, in the heart of Athens, in front of its main square, the Sintagma, only steps of the most important places to go. And the staff is friendly. We mention specially Mr. Spyros Petritis, at the front desk, ever and ever giving you the best informations about the hotel, the capital, the places to go and providing everything necessary, always smiling. You can't loose a dinner or a breakfast at the roof garden, where you will have stunning views and an excelent food.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank dwll47
Reviewed 30 May 2009

I have stayed in Athens year after year and I know what is available. The GB is the best; always has been and it always will be. It is a world class hotel to rival in any major city anywhere. Yes it is expensive, but it's worth it. The location is phenomenal, the rooms, both public and private are all beautiful, and the staff is outstanding. Don't even question where to stay in Athens, If you can afford it, go to the GB.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank onehermesgirl
Reviewed 30 May 2009

Right from the word go, everything was perfect.

Upon arrival, there was a Doorman who took my bags away. Walking into this fantastic building was breath taking. Tall ceilings, great decor. Reception wasnt busy, so I didnt have to wait. Check in was quick. I was given my key and arrowed to the elevator. Upon arriving to the 6th Floor, there was a gentilman standing there, who welcomed me by my name and introduced himself as Yiannis, my butler. And that we was going to escort me to my Suite, which I have been upgraded to. At this point I was blow awayd, Upgrade and butler.

Entering the room, a wonderful small hallway, made out of marble, leading into a lovely living room, with sofas, office desk, and tv cabinet. The living room lead to the balcony which was very specious and had seating area, views of the Acropolis. Yiannis informed me that private functions were available on the balcony if requiered. Back to the living room which lead to a wonderful bedroom, from there a lovely marble walk in closet.

The bathroom, was something else. completly marble, 2 sinks, shower which also turns into steam room, bath tub which has a built in tv. The quality of toiletries and towels was impecable.

I had lunch down at the lounge area, and this is were my 3 out of 5 rating comes for service. I ordered Lobster Risotto, one of my favourite. Which was excellent. But once our order was take and the cutlery was laid. I was given a fork, and no spoon. Whilst eating the meal, not once did the server come to check if everything was ok. I'm sorry but in such a hotel and at such prices, they should know that risotto is served with a spoon as well. And some intrest into our meal experiance would be nice.

The night spent in the room, now that was something else, getting into the sheets.... very hard to explain. Just unforgetable comfort and the texture of the sheets....wow. I slept like a baby.

Upon check out, again the service just wasnt excactly 5 star. i was never asked if I enjoyed my stay, or where I was heading to next. Just paid my bill and I was off.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends