“5 star service!”

Ranked #4 of 325 Hotels in Athens
Ottawa
“5 star service!”
Reviewed 17 August 2010

If you are going to Athens, this is the hotel to stay at!
The service, the amenities, the location can't be beat. I was fortunate to have a room on the 6th floor in which you have access to your own personal butler (they were so helpful) to assist you with all of your needs - simply amazing!
The rooms are pure luxury, the spa was fantastic (request to have a massage by Vaso), the roof top pool is a wonderful break from the heat. I also recommend dinner/drinks at their outdoor restaurant with the spectacular view of the Acropolis in the background.
One last note, I had left my new, expensive sunglasses in the room when I departed. I took a chance and emailed the hotel to see if they could check for them. They found them and told me they would send them to me immediately - now that's service!!
I highly recommend this hotel and will definitely return.
Maria B

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (733)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Boston,USA
Reviewed 17 August 2010

Check out the sublime roof top retaurant as well as the pool but be ready for a completely unreponsive service. Despite several calls we had to wait for close to 40 minutes to get help with our luggage. Rooms are in need of a serious refresh to say the least.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank DukeofMass
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 15 August 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Grande Bretagne for 2 nights before boarding a Windstar Cruise.

The hotel is filled with old world charm and is exceptionally clean. We had a deluxe room facing the courtyard, which I believe is the lowest room category. Despite this, we found our room to be spacious, for Athens standards, and the bathroom was luxurious.
The room was also very quiet with no noise from the hallway, outside or adjacent rooms.

The roof top pool was a welcome respite from the heat and humidity and the view was outstanding. The loungers do fill up fast during high occupancy periods, so be prepared to wait for a chair.

The buffet breakfast, which was included in our rate, was amazing. Definitely one of the best breakfast buffets in terms of freshness, quality and selection.

The only negative for me was the slow service and exceptionally high cost of dinner at the roof top restaurant. I understand that the spectacular view comes at a cost, but we found the food to be fairly average for this level of restaurant. We were not given a wine list when we were seated and had to ask twice and wait 20 minutes for one to be produced. Our dinner took 2 and a half hours without desert. I appreciated the fact that they weren't looking to rapidly turn tables, but the service... or lack there of... almost bordered on neglect. The waiters always seemed to be busy, so I think they may have been short staffed on this evening.

Overall, a world class hotel with excellent service, location and views.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Medina, Ohio
Reviewed 13 August 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Grande Bretagne for five nights. We had a lovely room with a king bed in a quiet location facing an interior courtyard. The marble bath featured a separate shower and tub. The bed was good; the pillows were great - there were three different kinds on the bed to choose from. The airconditioner worked fine and wasn't unusually noisy, although we noticed that when we turned it off we could hear sounds from adjacent rooms (toilets flushing and the like). It was so hot that we kept the AC running pretty much constantly, however. Shortly after we arrived, we noticed our shower stall was draining very slowly, so we mentioned it to the concierge, and it was corrected immediately. The hotel's central location is within walking distance of the Acropolis and many other historic sites and museums. The concierges made good but rather pricey recommendations for dinners. (Athens was much more expensive than we expected - more expensive than Rome, for example!) The hotel features a spa, where my husband and I splurged on a very pricey (250+ Euros) couples massage that was definitely NOT worth it. On our last day, I had my toenail polish changed at the hotel's beauty saloth for ten Euros. The nail tech criticized the condition of my feet to her colleague In Greek without realizing I could understand her. Tramping through ancient ruins while you're wearing sandals can mess up a pedicure, but I thought her comments were just plain tacky. Overall, the hotel was lovely and exuded a European elegance that few hotels can match.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed 11 August 2010

This place is excellent. The location is fantastic, very central. Hotel staff are very polite and helpful and flexible and professional. The business centre offers free internet and free printing which is very useful. The breafast rooftop area offers fantastic views. Would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
Calgary
Reviewed 11 August 2010

We stayed here for 6 nights on our honeymoon. And, we absolutely loved the property! Our honeymoon would simply not have been as wonderful had we not stayed here.

We were given a room on the butler floor. It was great to have someone help us with our questions regarding Athens. Our room had a very large balcony that was shared with one other room. Luckily, our neighbors didn't use the balcony! One memorable night was spent on the balcony, listening to music from the square, drinking our honeymoon gift of champagne and strawberries. It was bliss!

The bed was very comfortable. The marble bathrooms--with his and her sinks, a separate shower, and sunken tub--was great. We had twice daily maid service--lovely! And, husband loved the ornate chandelier that hung over our bed.

We enjoyed the spa. I had a body scrub massage while my husband enjoyed a neck, shoulders and upper back massage. It was, by far, the best spa table that I have ever reclined upon.

The pool and all of the 'rooms' were absolutely divine. There are about 4 different steam rooms to enjoy. We spent an evening just relaxing and moving from steam room to steam room!

The rooftop patio offers a magnificent view of the Acropolis. Loved it!

Room service was prompt and delicious. Try the yogurt and honey! To die for! My husband commented that the Greek burger was the best burger that he has ever had!

The pool, while small, was cool, clean and refreshing. It was hard to get a chair. We had to wait approximately 30 minutes (at 4:30 pm) to get a lounger.

The location of the hotel is good. We were able to walk everywhere from this location. And, we loved walking to Plaka for dinner, and then leisurely strolling back.

Free internet! So great to be able to email friends and family back home. Never a line-up.

All in all, it was absolutely divine hotel. Great location, great staff, great rooms...great everything! We cannot wait to stay here again!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed 8 August 2010

This was the common repeated phrase I heard during my trip to Athens. Last visited 40 years ago! The hotel and its staff were excellent with all of the services you would expect from a 5 star hotel. Located in downtown, it is convenient to everything. Although the mood was downbeat due to the economic environment, it was a pleasant and enjoyable stay.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business