Best Western Plus Embassy Hotel
  • Pool
  • Pool
Ilisia Hotel(Athens)
View Hotel
All reviewsmetro stationside streetvery comfortable double bedconcert hallnecessary amenitiesrelaxing staylarge bathroomblue linefree wifiby footstayed for nightsan upgradesyntagma squarebusiness tripfew minutes walkeasy accessshort stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 25 April 2013

I stayed for five nights at this hotel, near Mavili Square, between the Ampelokipi and Megaro Mousiki metro stations.

The room was clean and comfortable, the breakfast was modest but tasty, and the staff were uniformly helpful and pleasant. The wireless Internet functioned 95% of the time, and I was able to download data at 200KB per second.

I have also had occasion to rent the conference room for one of the days I was staying, and the staff were very helpful and informative: they were prompt to respond to my inquiry about the conference room in advance of my arrival, provided all the relevant information (no nasty surprises!), and even waived the conference room fee as I was paying for a coffee break.

I may well pick this one again on my next visit to Athens.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank ABW27
Reviewed 21 April 2013

The hotel is average but good value for money, rates were reasonable and in a safe area with plenty of restaurants, shops and supermarkets within walking distance. Two subway stations close by and taxis to most of the main tourist areas are only 4 to 5 euros. Staff is friendly and helpful, rooms are spacious and clean but furniture is outdated and beds really need new mattresses and blankets. Bathroom is also large but quite basic and the shower inside the bathtub was kind of narrow with plastic curtains that just doesn't help.
The air conditioning was switched off for the entire hotel, the rooms were really warm as temperatures were starting to rise in Athens. The window was not large which did not help to ventilate the room and the outside noise just too much. I've asked the staff to switch on the cooling but was told that this is only done when is summer time. Despite the hotel being part of an American chain it looks like they follow the European concept of stand alone budget hotels of only switching the cooling when is officially summer and not the more common concept of switching the cooling when it's hot and guests complain about it !!
Breakfast is adequate, not a big buffet but it ticked all the boxes. No fitness center and no room service.
Overall the hotel is okay, but it's not 4 stars, more like a 3 stars place.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Zedaroundtheworld
Reviewed 19 April 2013

Staff is very friendly and they try to be helpful. We did find out on our own that special week long tickets can be bought which can be used for bus, train, tram, or subway. I feel that staff should have been aware of this.
The room is clean and large enough for 2 of us. The wi-fi is very slow so uploading pictures can be very frustrating and sometimes does not connect at all. We did have a power outage one night so there was no hot water until much later in the day. Currently we have no air conditioning because, we were told, some guests are cold and it is either heat or cooling for the whole building. The bathroom is nice and large with a very good shower with plenty of water pressure (very important to me). There is only one electrical outlet accessible for charging phones, I pads etc.
The breakfast offerings are plentiful and varied. The food could be a bit hotter, cold eggs are not my favorite but I like the lemon filled donuts best anyway.
We feel safe walking everywhere with bakeries and food shops close by.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kathleen W
Reviewed 31 March 2013

We spent 3 nights at the Best Western Embassy Hotel and had a very relaxing stay. All of the staff were incredibly helpful & friendly. On checking in we were told that we had been upgraded to a suite (rm 72). The suite was very spacious & comfortable. The breakfast was very tasty & there was variety for everyone.
I took the directions from the website as to how to find the hotel which I think were a bit misleading but we found it eventually!
Would definitely stay here again on a return trip to Athens as it was a quiet relaxing hotel and away from the main tourist areas.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SarahLLondon
Reviewed 23 February 2013

Stayed in this hotel for a short business trip. Nice city hotel, with very spacious rooms and bathrooms. Plenty of amenities are provided in the room. The wi-fi (free of charge) in the room was excellent, which I used to make plenty of VOIP calls with no problem.

I was checked in by the front office manager herself, who was very friendly, as all the staff I interacted with. During breakfast in the morning she came to ask me if everything is ok, and remembered everything I mentioned and asked for the previous day. She even offered a late check-out if I needed it. I appreciated the personal approach.

The location is good, close to the city center, and next to the main road that leads to the business district in the North of Athens. It is between two metro stations both about 400m away, and the has buses and trams on the main road. Since it is one block away from the main road outside the American Embassy, it makes it very quiet, away from the traffic.

Breakfast was not very large, but had everything you needed.

Overall, I would stay there again on my next trip.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business