We stayed for 5 nights- Oct 7-12, so the timing was bad in terms of strike. The executive level is really worth the difference and we very much enjoyed the great view- the Acropolis view was amazing! We didn't spend long in our room, but it was great to open the curtains in the morning & enjoy.
Executive level lounge had excellent breakfast and a light supper in the evenings- the food was great and our children enjoyed it too. Indoor pool is also free with executive level.
Hilton did a great job with security during the strike (Oct 9) and considering a German delegation were at the hotel it was a big job! We did Oct 9 as a hotel day so we very much took advantage of the great pools they have- both indoor one and outdoor! Thankfully I picked a hotel that did have lots to keep us busy on a day that you really wouldn't have wanted to be out in the downtown area with children- heck tourists of any age! Also Hilton staff did not participate in the strike and were all there and friendly that we saw. Even with all the public transportation shut down from 12-5 pm on the 9th there was no drop in service or quality.
We were back in Athens Oct 30th and it had a much more friendly feel with less riot police around and barricades off to the side.
We took the X95 from the airport (down to the far right when you exit the terminal close in to the building- you don't cross the street)- just 5 euros each and it was easy, but you may not see the sign for the Hilton Athens so just ask the bus driver and they are great to help. We wanted to be able to look out at the city rather than take the subway.
It is a 15-20 minute walk to the Acropolis museum and other sites in the downtown area. There are several museums closer to the hotel though!
The Hilton is away from the area where the protests occur- HUGE plus! People who had booked into hotels in the Plaka area left and came to the Hilton- they really didn't feel safe with being so close to the protests. When you book a hotel you really can't tell what will be happening when you are there.
Our room was nice & clean and bright. All hotels rooms in Europe are more compact than similarly priced North American rooms. But the bathroom has separate tub & shower & isn't cramped.
We loved it and want to go back!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hilton Athens is not just a hotel. It’s a legacy in Athens. Consider the fact that a whole area is named after the Hilton and you’ll start to understand the immense name this hotel has had the past 48 years. Socialités, fashionistas, local and international celebrities, you see them here!An architectural marvel, the Hilton Athens has been fully renovated in 2003 to be able to cope with the next episode in its ever interesting life. The hotel boasts 506 spacious rooms and some of the best city views available. You can almost touch the Acropolis! Art is abundant and local artists are used throughout the hotel. Hilton Athens has the largest outdoor pool in the city center and features four restaurants and two bars. The Byzantino restaurant offers Mediterranean cuisine in a renowned atmosphere. At the Milos restaurant, you can taste gourmet Greek cuisine at its best. Aethrion Lounge is where local celebrities and politicians meet for a coffee and the rooftop Galaxy Bar Restaurant truly is the most glamorous Athenian hangout to start out or end your night, to see or to be seen. Remember; people like to dress up here! Be the VIP you are while enjoying a citywide view. The hotel is just 25 minutes away from the airport by direct subway. It features 22 meeting rooms for 2 to 1300 people, a 24-hour Business Center and an Executive Lounge with Acropolis view. For a spa getaway or some pampering time away from the real world, you can visit the Hiltonia Spa, featuring an indoor pool, a fully equipped fitness room, a Pilates studio with natural light and an endless array of health and beauty treatments. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hilton EMEA, Agoda, LoveHolidays, Odigeo, Southall Travel and Hotels.com so you can book your Hilton Athens reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton Athens Hotel Athens
- Hilton International Athens