“Seriously ?”

Ranked #23 of 326 Hotels in Athens
Athens
“Seriously ?”
Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

St Val's is not a Greek Orthodox celebration but as the need of communication becomes probably the most important issue through our relationships we are trapped in the same hole. For those who ignore it, the Greek Orthodox Church honors the "day of Love" the day before St Val's. So, although my wife knows that this is the only date that I WON'T buy her flowers, she thoughtfully made a reservation at Athens Hilton since they offered the room with the view to the Acropolis for only 135 euros. Just make sure you park your car somewhere around there because the charges for a place at the hotel' sparking goes up to 30 euro per day. Also, you can forget the free wi fi in your room (it costs 20 euro per day). Wi fi is free at the Galaxy bar (a splendid restaurant bar at the root garden, available only with ahead of time reservation) and the ground floor restaurant (Byzantine ). Don't pick a movie from the tv menu ( it costs 19.95 EACH ONE!). And if by any accident you want to place a bottle of fine wine in the room's refrigerator to cool it, be it known that the sensors of the drinks that you will remove from it to make space will send automatically the proper charge to the reception as if you would have used it!
Now, the room service is fast enough but if by any chance you order the Hilton club sandwich (for 25 euros) don't look surprised by the bill as you get to pay another 8 euros for tray charge!
Now, there are a few more things that a 5 star hotel should be able to fulfill : the 1 lt bottle of Evan water on your table is usually "on the house" as a treat but in Hilton's case it is charged 7,50 euro ONLY. The remark "enjoy" around the bottle is written on the bottom of it with very small letters...(wondering why?). No bathrobes or slippers available (5 star you said?), but certainly a swimming pool at your service.
The menu at the Galaxy restaurant on St Val's night was really tasteful including all 5 plates and once again the chef needs to be congratulated (been there, done that, got the t-shirt...). Make sure and behave yourselves as a bottle of fine Alpha white wine that you can find in the super market for 15 euros, over here is charged 60 euros, so don't order a second one... The tartar dish is definitely a "must "to try as it literally evaporates in your mouth wondering why this taste couldn't last longer ...
The Byzantine restaurant offers a quite good variety of dishes (not that we haven't seen better in other 5 star hotels and again a lot of worse in others...). Another plus of the hotel is that the smoker's rooms are really tide and odorless (clap from the audience is more than welcome at this point).
The shampoo and bath foam quantities are probably enough for those couples whose height is below 5ft 4in as there's only one tiny packing of each for both of us (perhaps under the philosophy of "saving the earth" from extra poisoning).
It is nice to attract once in a while some new customers taking advantage of the certain happenings but when a "serious" business is trying to collect money from all those supposing "extras" then they are not even close to the customer's enjoyment. Seriously !

Room Tip: Get one with a view to the Acropolis
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
athbart, General Manager at Hilton Athens, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Dear Sir,

Thank you for having selected our hotel for your recent stay and for taking the time to share your experience with us.

We are really sorry to read that you were not quite satisfied with the facilities and services rendered. Your valuable feedback has been taken into consideration and reviewed with my colleagues.

Do hope you will give us another opportunity to welcome you back.

Hilton Athens

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (674)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Shanghai, China
Reviewed 14 February 2014

The Hilton Athens provides a pleasant working hotel especially if you book on the Executive Level with a view of The Acropolis and access to the Executive Lounge for breakfast, beverages and cocktail hours. This was my first visit to Athens and I couldn't wait for the lights to come on The Acropolis. And the sunsets can be amazing in good weather. The staff service does vary from excellent to average. The facility is more than adequate with nicely appointed rooms. To have a view of The Acropolis you must suffer the noise of the traffic below at a very busy intersection. A half dozen museums are a short walk. The Acropolis is a bit of a walk but you can explore areas of neighborhoods, shops, cafes, and churches. Make sure to get The Acropolis tour ticket for EU12 and visit each. They are all very interesting and most have a small museum. The trip to Delphi is worth it but rent a car and do it. The drive is lovely and easy and then you can stay at the site, museum and little towns on your own schedule. We took a bus tour and would have preferred driving. Every restaurant experience from fine dining to street cafes was excellent.

Room Tip: Get a room on a high floor, Executive Floors if possible, facing to The Acropolis.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Sir/Madame,

Thank you for being our guest and for taking the time to post your input.

It is with great pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay, the services and facilities of the hotel. Your comments on the Executive Level services are valuable and rewarding and we will certainly share these with the team!

We do hope you will visit us again soon!

Beverley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 February 2014

The hotel is just out of the city centre but we had views of the Acropolis from our bedroom window and also from the Executive lounge. Well worth upgrading to the executive level, our rooms were superb with beautiful bathrooms and a balcony. Lovely modern hotel with excellent facilities.
The executive lounge provided complimentary refreshments during the day as well as an excellent choice for breakfast / Staff and room service excellent

Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank moirayeo
athbart, General Manager at Hilton Athens, responded to this review, 14 February 2014
Dear Sir/Madame,

Thank you for writing your comments after your stay here last May.

We were delighted to read that you and the family enjoyed your time with us and that you were in particular satisfied with the Executive Floor service provided as well as with your room. Will make sure to pass on your wonderful comments to our team!

We are looking forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Athens.

Zürich
Reviewed 11 February 2014

The architecture of the hotel is of course a thing of the past but now it's a fact and the lobby, restaurant and rooms are nicely done and decorated. The rooftop Bar is a must-see, with good service, quite upmarket pricing, and a lovely view over Athens and the Acropolis.
We had a warm and professional welcome at the Reception, however, charging 20 EUR per day and room for WLAN isn't adequate for a business hotel of this range. Also, charging 7.50 EUR for a bottle of still EVIAN in the hotel room is simply a rip-off, no matter how expensive such a bottle may be to import. A bit less globalization would do - a greek mineral water, either one bottle for free or simply affordable. WLAN and mineral water: details, but it has deteriorated our impression. What was worst: breakfast service. The attitude of the staff is not acceptable for a 5-star hotel, especially as the breakfast restaurant and the food as such were really nice. We literally had to beg to be served, to get cutlery, for tables to be set, for anything. Breakfast is until 11, and 10 past 11 we were treated as troublemakers...
Recommended, yes for the location and quality of rooms and facilities, but the service could clearly be upgraded :-)

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank LONDOLOZI
Dear Sir/Madame,

Thank you for being our guest and for selecting the Hilton Athens as your place of residence while visiting Athens.

Your valuable feedback about the quality of service during breakfast time, internet and inroom bottle of water costs has been noted, taken into serious consideration and reviewed with my team. Appropriate actions will be taken, where needed.

Do look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 9 February 2014

In summary: Stay away from the Athens Hilton! This Hotel is not luxury or nice. It is a low class trap designed to lure you in and slowly drain away extra money. This Hilton cannot provide the basic necessities such as a hot shower and nice towels. This Hilton cannot provide a comfortable bed or fluffy pillows. This Hilton cannot provide the nice extras such as a robe, slippers, or even coffee. This Hilton cannot provide a TV that is larger than the one on my airplane. What this Hilton can provide is an additional charge for the Internet, an additional charge for the pool and fitness center, a greedy and excessive charge for an electronic mini bar, an interrogation about your Internet usage, and a strong commitment to never stay at another Hilton as you as you live.

In addition to posting this review, I am sending a copy to Hilton and requesting that they cancel my membership in their loyalty program. This experience has completely destroyed my trust in the Hilton company name.

I recently traveled to Athens for a short holiday. I am an airline pilot and went with my girlfriend who is a flight attendant. I know that sounds a little cliché, but the point is that we both stay in a lot of hotels so we know what to expect from a quality hotel and since we can fly nearly for free we don’t mind spending a little extra money on a hotel that has the nice little extras we enjoy.

We choose the Athens Hilton based on the available view of the Parthenon ( I paid for a king acropolis room) and the indoor pool and fitness center. We both regret the choice and have made the pledge that we will never choose to stay at the Athens Hilton or any Hilton in the future.

We arrived at the hotel in the afternoon, check in was uneventful and the staff pleasant. The room was at least clean and the view of the Parthenon was nice. As we began to settle into the room we noticed the absence of the complimentary robe and slippers that you normally find in a quality hotel. The lack of slippers is particularly annoying in a hotel that has a cold hard floor and if you are a girl with cold feet.

When we decided to shower and change to go out for dinner we noticed the problem with the shower. The shower didn’t get hot. The water was warm and bearable, but definitely not the hot refreshing shower you would like after a long flight. My girlfriend showered first and when I got out of the shower I didn’t have a towel. She had used one towel for her body and one for her hair, which is pretty normal. What is not normal is a “luxury” hotel that only provides two towels. The towels that were provide were also thin, flat, and rough. She gave me her hair towel because she was still using the body towel since there was no robe in the room.

The next morning after waking up in a hard bed that was supplied with just 2 flat pillows, I called the front desk and asked for 2 more towels as well as a robe and 2 pair of slippers. A short time later a rather annoyed looking member of the staff arrived with 1 robe, 1 towel, and 2 bottles of shower gel. At this time we both agreed we were dealing with a poor quality low class hotel and that it would be useless and exhausting to try and correct any further issues.

As we headed out for the day we decide to take a look at the indoor pool and fitness center since we thought it might be nice after a day of walking around the city to come back and take a nice swim in the indoor pool and after a day of great Greek food we might need a treadmill. The pool and fitness center looked great and I asked the staff if we could access everything with our room key. That’s when they told me that the pool and fitness center are not included in the room, but actually cost an additional 15 Euro per person, per day. We were obviously upset, but at this point not very surprised.

The next morning we woke up and obviously didn’t go to the 15 euro per person, per day fitness center, but decide to have a cup of coffee and then get a barely warm shower with our 2 towels, 1 robe, and no slippers, before we went out again. As I was making coffee, I noticed first that I had to dump out the previous days water from the kettle and also that there was only 1 coffee sachet. Apparently house keeping doesn’t include cleaning the kettle or restocking the coffee bar. It does however include restocking the 6.80 Euro coke from the mini bar. I know it’s a mini bar and I expect that I’m going to be over charged for the items, but 6.80 Euro for a coke? That’s just greedy. The mini bar is electronic so make sure you check your bill before departure. We nearly got charged for a 10.00 Euro Toblerone as well.

On out way out of the hotel we stopped at the business center to use the computer. I don’t usually bring my laptop on trips because of the hassle at security, and because most quality hotels have a business center with computers if there is something I can’t do with my iPhone or iPad. The business center was nice and to our shock, free of charge. The Internet however is on a timer, which isn’t a big deal unless it’s incredibly slow, which of course it was. The big problem came when we returned later that night. My girlfriend needed to use the Internet for work and she was told that the business center was closed and then asked if it was urgent?! I have never heard of hotel with a business center that wasn’t 24 hours, especially a hotel that makes such a big deal about its convention centers. Apparently the business world shuts down when it is after midnight in Greece. Also who is this staff that thinks he has the right to know, much less the right to ask if the matter is urgent?! It’s not your business!

As the hotel staff was interrogating my girlfriend; I was up in the room attempting to check my email on my iPad. I couldn’t connect to the Wi-Fi, which I thought was strange since on the first day we arrived I called to ask how to connect to the Wi-Fi and I was told it required a passcode and that it would cost 20 Euro per day.

I realize some hotels still charge for Internet and I have come to accept that it is just a part of the travel cost. However I also consider it a cheap, sleazy, and intellectually insulting way to make money. I mean seriously, Starbucks can provide free Internet when you spend 2 Euro on a cup of coffee, but the “Glamorous” “Luxury” Hilton can’t provide Wi-Fi with a 180 Euro Hotel room.

So anyway after accepting the ridiculous and insulting Internet charge I told them I would need the Internet for 3 days. (5-8) When I called to ask why the Internet wasn’t working I was told the code expired at midnight. So apparently I had paid 20 Euro the first day for 8 hours of Internet. So now I needed to pay another 20 Euro for the 11 hours I had left until check out. I think most people would agree, that if you pay 20 Euro for Internet it should last at least 24 hours.

In summary: See top

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank cmurphy2003
athbart, General Manager at Hilton Athens, responded to this review, 13 February 2014
Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments regarding your stay here at the Hilton Athens.

We are sorry to hear that your expectations were not met and that you were not satisfied with the hotel's facilities and services. Your feedback is truly valuable to us and would like to assure you that this has been shared with my team in order to take corrective actions, where needed.

Do hope you will reconsider your decision to stay elsewhere on your next visit in the city of Athens, as well as to cancel your membership in Hilton's loyalty program, and give us another opportunity to welcome you back.

Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 8 February 2014

My husband and I came to Athens to visit friends and wanted to stay somewhere central. Although the original plan was to leave our nearly 3 year old daughter with her grandparents, the plan changed and we ended up bringing her.

My husband had booked two nights at Hilton as a birthday gift for me. He got a great deal because he'd booked so far in advance. The staff were exceptionally kind to us and very sweet with our little girl. They were so flexible and accommodating, and even offered a birthday cake for me (which I politely declined). The breakfast buffet was the MOST diverse I have ever seen, very international.

The bar at the top of the hotel has a great atmosphere although a bit pricey, as you would expect.

The nice thing about the location is that while it is central enough to be convenient, it is not so central that you will risk angry demonstrators at the doorstep, as in Syntagma square, nor in a crime-riddled place like Omonia or Metaxourgeio.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
athbart, General Manager at Hilton Athens, responded to this review, 11 February 2014
Dear Madame,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to post your input about your stay here last October.

It is with pleasure to note that you and the family enjoyed the visit and that all your expectations were met. The very kind feedback about our facilities and services as well as our polite and accommodating team has been shared with my colleagues.

Once again, thank you for having chosen our hotel! We are glad we were able to contribute to a memorable stay.

With kind regards,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 February 2014

Had a blast of a time during my short trip in Greece last week.Luxury clean and near all the places I wanted to visit..Price was good too..Special thanks to the kind receptionist who helped me with a lot of patience

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
athbart, General Manager at Hilton Athens, responded to this review, 7 February 2014
Dear Sir/Madame,

We would like to thank you for selecting the Hilton Athens for your stay.

It is with great pleasure to read that you enjoyed your visit, the services and facilities of the hotel. All your comments are valuable and rewarding and we will certainly share these with the team!

Thank you for staying with us and we hope you will visit us again soon!