St Val's is not a Greek Orthodox celebration but as the need of communication becomes probably the most important issue through our relationships we are trapped in the same hole. For those who ignore it, the Greek Orthodox Church honors the "day of Love" the day before St Val's. So, although my wife knows that this is the only date that I WON'T buy her flowers, she thoughtfully made a reservation at Athens Hilton since they offered the room with the view to the Acropolis for only 135 euros. Just make sure you park your car somewhere around there because the charges for a place at the hotel' sparking goes up to 30 euro per day. Also, you can forget the free wi fi in your room (it costs 20 euro per day). Wi fi is free at the Galaxy bar (a splendid restaurant bar at the root garden, available only with ahead of time reservation) and the ground floor restaurant (Byzantine ). Don't pick a movie from the tv menu ( it costs 19.95 EACH ONE!). And if by any accident you want to place a bottle of fine wine in the room's refrigerator to cool it, be it known that the sensors of the drinks that you will remove from it to make space will send automatically the proper charge to the reception as if you would have used it!
Now, the room service is fast enough but if by any chance you order the Hilton club sandwich (for 25 euros) don't look surprised by the bill as you get to pay another 8 euros for tray charge!
Now, there are a few more things that a 5 star hotel should be able to fulfill : the 1 lt bottle of Evan water on your table is usually "on the house" as a treat but in Hilton's case it is charged 7,50 euro ONLY. The remark "enjoy" around the bottle is written on the bottom of it with very small letters...(wondering why?). No bathrobes or slippers available (5 star you said?), but certainly a swimming pool at your service.
The menu at the Galaxy restaurant on St Val's night was really tasteful including all 5 plates and once again the chef needs to be congratulated (been there, done that, got the t-shirt...). Make sure and behave yourselves as a bottle of fine Alpha white wine that you can find in the super market for 15 euros, over here is charged 60 euros, so don't order a second one... The tartar dish is definitely a "must "to try as it literally evaporates in your mouth wondering why this taste couldn't last longer ...
The Byzantine restaurant offers a quite good variety of dishes (not that we haven't seen better in other 5 star hotels and again a lot of worse in others...). Another plus of the hotel is that the smoker's rooms are really tide and odorless (clap from the audience is more than welcome at this point).
The shampoo and bath foam quantities are probably enough for those couples whose height is below 5ft 4in as there's only one tiny packing of each for both of us (perhaps under the philosophy of "saving the earth" from extra poisoning).
It is nice to attract once in a while some new customers taking advantage of the certain happenings but when a "serious" business is trying to collect money from all those supposing "extras" then they are not even close to the customer's enjoyment. Seriously !
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hilton Athens is not just a hotel. It’s a legacy in Athens. Consider the fact that a whole area is named after the Hilton and you’ll start to understand the immense name this hotel has had the past 48 years. Socialités, fashionistas, local and international celebrities, you see them here!An architectural marvel, the Hilton Athens has been fully renovated in 2003 to be able to cope with the next episode in its ever interesting life. The hotel boasts 506 spacious rooms and some of the best city views available. You can almost touch the Acropolis! Art is abundant and local artists are used throughout the hotel. Hilton Athens has the largest outdoor pool in the city center and features four restaurants and two bars. The Byzantino restaurant offers Mediterranean cuisine in a renowned atmosphere. At the Milos restaurant, you can taste gourmet Greek cuisine at its best. Aethrion Lounge is where local celebrities and politicians meet for a coffee and the rooftop Galaxy Bar Restaurant truly is the most glamorous Athenian hangout to start out or end your night, to see or to be seen. Remember; people like to dress up here! Be the VIP you are while enjoying a citywide view. The hotel is just 25 minutes away from the airport by direct subway. It features 22 meeting rooms for 2 to 1300 people, a 24-hour Business Center and an Executive Lounge with Acropolis view. For a spa getaway or some pampering time away from the real world, you can visit the Hiltonia Spa, featuring an indoor pool, a fully equipped fitness room, a Pilates studio with natural light and an endless array of health and beauty treatments. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Southall Travel, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, Bookgreece.com, Cancelon, Ebookers, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and getaroom.com so you can book your Hilton Athens reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton Athens Hotel Athens
- Hilton International Athens