“Unique experience”

Ranked #69 of 326 Hotels in Athens
Moscow, Russia
“Unique experience”
Reviewed 30 April 2013

This hotel was suggested to me by colleaques involved with turist business. For one night stay is perfect. The rooms are clean and most of them have a great view to the city and acropolis.
Unfortunately I did not have such a room but I had breakfast on the sixth floor with such a nice view. The hotel has its own design concept and to me looked a little bit dark. The staff was very helpfull also. The position of the hotel is high on the hill but with a taxi (costs only 3.5) you can go to the center of Athens for all your business.

Room Tip: Rooms with a view are value for money
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Athens
Reviewed 24 April 2013

It used to be a great Athens hotel for business or pleasure stays, in one of the most privileged locations in Athens. The location is, of course, there, but the hotel itself is pretty tired and in need of urgent and drastic renovation. If you do get a good rate, though, it's still worth experiencing sleeping and waking up to the most breath-taking view of the whole of the city of Athens, with the Acropolis in centre stage. Frame Bar, especially in the summer, is also a nice place to enjoy nice cocktails and lounge music in a central yet green and cool location.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TeLeGourmet
bristol
Reviewed 22 April 2013

We stayed here for one week April 12-19,2013.

It is listed as a five star and we were swayed by the fact that it listed its best asset as being the acropolis view.
We have stayed in many 5 star and above hotels around the world and so the st George seemed to be the right hotel and the right area.
We arrived late evening and on walking into reception the tone was set for me. Dried flower arrangements, a tired looking runner carpet to the desk and the concierge, the receptionist and the Porter all having a natter! Our room we already knew would be small, but we had opted to pay for the full acropolis view and so late at night we opened the curtains and sure enough the night view was wonderful.
Next morning, things did not look so wonderful. Our first night of sleep was awful and I realised the reason was because there was a plastic sheet under the cotton sheet, I took this out and asked the much amber maid to take it away..
The bathroom had a funny plastic contraption on the wall, which offered to squirt water at you at all angles, however, the glass screen was so small the the unit just flooded the place. The water pressure was not great and so we just stuck to the overhead shower. The toiletries I have to say we're disgusting. The green bar of olive oil soap smelt as bad as the shower gel, I purchased shower gel the same day as I could not bear the awful smell. The bathroom had a shelf missing, brackets were there, but no glass shelf. The grouting it the tiles had also seen better days.
The bedroom furniture was strange to say the least. The bedside cabinets were just mock cabinets. Nothing opened, no drawer and no door.

Still, we looked on the positive as we headed up to breakfast. The "grand balcon" reminded me of a former 70's penthouse disco. Silver painted chairs, disco glitter ball and lots of swaying and swishing grey muslin curtains. The breakfast was a disappointment. Nothing spectacular. The scrambled egg was alongside mini frankfurter cocktail sausages and a wet greasy bacon that tasted more like turkey bacon or something processed. What else to have, there was some bread, some processed meats, feta cheese and two other soft cheeses. No fruit salad, just sliced kiwis and sliced pineapple which was brought out in small amounts. There was a Greek food table, but I didn't see many people going there, it was only on day three that I asked if I could have a fried egg or omelette, this was confirmed and I did that each day thereafter, but no one told us about this option.
I used the fee wifi, SGL, which could only be accessed in reception or upstairs at breakfast in the grand balcon.
The hotel is sited in a good neighbourhood and walking to attractions was perfectly easy and possible.
However it was it 5 star. I realise stars vary from country to country, but generally in the big chain hotels, a five star is a five star is a five star. Big chains can afford to maybe subsidise each other whereas st George lycabettus cannot., and it shows in poor decor, shabby exterior, and not so good restaurants.
One big minus was the roof top swimming pool was closed, opens in May! Which 5 star hotel would advertise it as a feature and then say it is closed.
A quirky, eccentric hotel. Friendly staff. A good view, if you pay the rate. A hotel that trades on its glory years of old when perhaps it was THE hotel of athens.
If you want a good location and a family familiar atmosphere, then this is for you, however, be warned, you will pay 5 star prices for 3 star accommodation.

Room Tip: 5th floor, room 507, full frontal view of acropolis.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
lycabettus, Owner at Saint George Lycabettus, responded to this review, 25 April 2013
Dear User hollydayBristol,

Thank you for the review. We have taken all your opinions and views into consideration and all the appropriate actions will be taken accordingly. Saint George Lycabettus is a boutique hotel with classic quality that attracts guests from all over the world.
Our rooms are fully equipped to meet all needs of a guest nowadays. Among others our bathrooms are equipped with hydromassage shower fully adjustable by the user. Our breakfast service is open on any request from our guests to offer them a tasting and nutritious start for the day.
Due to weather and safety regulations our open swimming pool area is open during May to October as clearly states our information sheet.
Our hotel is capable of providing our guests with high quality services in very competitive rates, offering at the same time the possibility of the best view of Acropolis and the most quiet and safe location in Athens.
thessaloniki
Reviewed 18 April 2013

Let me say first that had they claimed in their site to be a 3-star hotel, my review would have been in a completely different direction.

Allow me please to start with the charges on the internet service, because honestly it was the most shocking and striking feature of them all: we live in a modern, developed country, we are in 2013 and they CHARGE the internet service (both wired and wireless) 6 Euros per hour!!! And they claim to be a luxurious hotel??
I have stayed in wonderful hotels around the world (which never even claimed to be luxurious like this one), but at least they had the ability to perceive that if you are -in the best case- a manager of average intelligence, you offer FREE internet service. Why? BECAUSE it is essential, it is BASIC! Charging the internet in the developed world is like charging the water in the tub.. As soon as you find out about this outrageous charge, you realize that EVERY notion of hospitality is degraded to pure exploiting of the customer’s needs.

I am still wondering how they managed to get qualified for the label of “luxury boutique” hotel. The walls were paper-thin. You can hear EVERYTHING. The nice gentleman in the next room was simply speaking on the phone and listening to music (two normal and reasonable things, I presume…), but unfortunately we could hear everything he said and everything he listened to. The other day I woke up to the song he was listening. And of course it is SO uncomfortable to know that everyone else is listening to you too. Heaven forbid, what will happen if we have an argument with my husband?
And when we asked the reception for a change of room, they simply told us that all rooms were the same and that they would ask the nice gentleman to keep it quiet. Keep what quiet? Breathing??
Anyway, the rooms are old; though I assume that back then when it was built (you are free to assume that it was a really long time ago) it must have been nice.

And then we ordered room service.. A simple club sandwich.. It took them more than half an hour to bring it; with the extra charges and all, it finally cost 20 Euros and it was so plain, so small AND already cold, that I it made me question my judgment.
Still my query remains: how on Earth do they still manage to have the qualification of a luxury boutique hotel?

Now, the good parts: the hotel is situated in Kolonaki, an erstwhile upper class region, which is either way a marvellous place to stay in Athens, because it is near the historical center, yet it is beautiful and quiet.
Also, the hotel's restaurent (and probably some of the rooms as well; I wouldn't know) have a breathtaking view of Acropolis. The breakfast room and the breakfast itself are worthy of the 5 stars, because of the variety and the quality of the delicacies. And also, the stuff of the restaurent (and of the hotel in general) are well trained and appropriate.
BUT, do not get your hopes up for the dishes offered at dinner. They are too expensive compared to their quality and your choices are really really limited. My husband and I could not actually figure out what to order.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
lycabettus, Owner at Saint George Lycabettus, responded to this review, 19 April 2013
Dear User ElieThessaloniki,
It was with great surprise that we received your review. Saint George Lycabettus has all requirements and credential needed for its category, and its reputation among visitors of Athens
is greatly respected. The hotel has made a huge investment in new technologies among them WiFi internet access in all areas of the hotel. The hotel provides free internet access in the public areas of the hotel which obviously you did not take advantage of. Please note that all charges at the hotel are very competitive and among the normal standards of the same category hotels in Athens. We regret for the wrong impression you acquired from our hotel and we are willing to prove this during your next stay at our hotel.
Fareham, Hampshire
Reviewed 17 April 2013

I've just read some of the recent reviews and think GL from NYC has it spot on. Positively, the location is great with terrific views - provided you're happy with the local maze-like road layout, steep slopes and stone steps. The staff are lovely and swiftly found the answers to several travel questions for me.

But the rooms are tired and need updating. Too much clunky furniture for the small room I stayed in and a curious shower system that didn't work properly - you don't want to call reception at 7.00pm in the morning to sort it out. When I arrived as a solo traveller, I had four towels yet they were meanly reduced to two for the rest of my stay. No bathmat on the last night. AC doesn't work very effectively - goodness knows what it would be like in August.

I was puzzled by an earlier review listing charges for storing cases, calling taxis etc. I had none of those. But why do 'luxury' hotels change so much for Internet when it costs them nothing to provide it? And I didn't even try the 22 euro breakfast - my lunches and dinners didn't cost that much. NB There are plenty of nice places to eat nearby in classy Kolonaki.

I would stay at the St George Lycabettus again because of all the positives above - but it's really not a five star hotel1

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a view. Rooms on the side are cheaper and you can see the Acropolis if you le...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Dear User Farehamvoyager,
Thank you for your kind review. Your comments have been reviewed and discussed at management meetings. Despite the fact that we have made a huge investment in new technologies the hotel provides free WiFi internet access at all public areas of the hotel at a significant speed Our staff is regularly trained to meet all guests’ requests at any time. We would be glad to accommodate you once more in order to give you a chance to enjoy more aspects of our hotel.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 14 April 2013

My partner and I stayed at the St. George Lycabettus for two nights in early April, 2013.

The St. George Lycabettus offers three things: (1) Very good views of the Acropolis (at least if you are on the right side of the hotel); (2) A roof-restaurant with perhaps the best view of the Athens; and (3) Friendly staff. In addition, it sits near the top of the Kolonaki neighborhood. We enjoyed the trips up and down the hill, but such climbs are not for everyone.

So, why am I giving it a poor review? Overall, the hotel seems past its prime. The rooms are small; they seem forced to work with ungainly furniture and tight entries. There are few electric outlets, and one of them did not work. I thought I had upgraded to what would be a larger room, but it still barely fit two suitcases in the bedroom and left very little space for unpacking.

More importantly, the bathroom was awful. The grout between the tiles was dirty, clearly not cleaned, because we could wipe away the stains using a towel and some elbow grease. The shower head was a hand-held model that directed the water to the wall making taking a shower unpleasant.

The room had a nice balcony. The door tilted inward to provide the only window. The curtains, however, were a foot (30 cm) too long, so they dragged on the floor and were a tripping hazard. You could not close the curtains *and* tilt the window open. The fan in the room seemed to work, but it did not cool off the room, even with the air conditioning setting turned on. The weather was cool enough outside, but to get the room cool on the inside required keeping the door/window open and keeping the curtain open, thus letting in light and noise. So that's the choice: light and noise. Or cool.

In addition, I consider 25 euros for two days of internet use to be excessive (way excessive, considering that the other three hotels in Greece that I stayed at on this trip offered free internet access). And this price only gives you access for two devices (I was travelling with a computer, two iPhones, and an iPad). Fortunately, the staff were very helpful in removing additional charges.

We did not opt for the 30 euro-per-person breakfast. Two coffees in the hotel restaurant did set us back 9 euros, a price that makes even New Yorkers blush.

As a final note, we stayed in this hotel ten years ago and had a similar reaction. We thought the hotel had been upgraded since them and are disappointed that it has not been. There must be better hotels in Athens for the price.

Room Tip: Get a room with a full Parthenon view. That is what you are paying for.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank GL_from_NYC
Dear User Gl_from_NYC,
Thank you for the review. We have taken all your opinions and views into consideration and all the appropriate actions will be taken accordingly. The cost for internet represents high speed access option. Despite the fact that we have made a huge investment in new technologies the hotel provides free WiFi internet access at all public areas of the hotel at a significant speed. The American Buffet breakfast served in “Grand Balcon” restaurant on the 6th floor with panoramic view to Athens and Acropolis costs for our guests only 22 Euros and includes a traditional Greek/Mediterranean breakfast scheme, and there are also several room package rates that include breakfast. We would be glad to accommodate you in the near future in order to prove our hospitality.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 10 April 2013

This hotel on top of the hill in the posh, comfortable neighbourhood of Kolonaki is ideally situated, with wonderful views especially from the top floor dining area. So I would highly recommend it. But the decor of the rooms is a bit stale and the hotel has many surprising charges. For instance, 3.5 euros to order a taxi (rather than the 2 euros if you call yourself); 5 euros a day to store baggage; 18 euros a day for internet in your room (free wifi in lobby and dining room); and 70 euros for airport pick-up instead of 35 --a steep mark-up.

Room Tip: City view can include the Parthenon so you don't necessarily have to spring for an Acropolis vie...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Dear User woggles67,
Thank you for submitting your review. The location of the hotel as the view from the rooms and our restaurant “La Suite Lounge” has made us very popular among Athens visitors. Our hotel has its own style giving a familiar and cozy atmosphere to its guests. With regards to your comments about the taxi charges, we would like to inform you that the standard minimum charges for hiring a taxi wherever in Athens on the street is 2 Euros. The 3.5 Euros charge includes the telephone call and the direct service. Also there is no surplus charge on behalf of the hotel for taxi airport transportation. The charge of 70 Euros is because the taxi has to be paid another 35 Euros to drive to the Airport waiting for the clients.
The hotel and its staff is at your disposal for your next holidays in Athens.