“Great Hotel in Athens”

St George Lycabettus Hotel
Ranked #63 of 282 Hotels in Athens
Reviewed 13 October 2008

We spent 4 days at a great boutique hotel in Athens. The St. George Lycabettus was a great place to stay. Everything we wanted to do was within walking distance or just a short cab ride away.

The views were outstanding. We sat on our patio and could see out over the old city with the Acropolis front and center!

The service was excellent, with extra kudos going out the the concierge staff. They helped make our stay in Athens truly memorable.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Write a ReviewReviews (2,264)

Reviewed 12 October 2008

Quite frankly this place sucked. For a 5 star hotel I expected a whole lot more.

Here is a list of some of my issues:
When I arrived the Internet didn't work, but what made this worse was that for the first 2 hours I didn't get an apology, and instead they blamed me!
The TV in the room didn't even face the bed and I couldn't move it?? It also lost its colour frequently and the pay TV didn't work at all!
The room was TINY!
The aircon came with no instructions, and when i called the guest relations desk, they didn't answer the ringing phone for 10 minutes. Eventually I spoke to the receptionist who grumpily implied that I was an idiot. The instructions they gave me over the phone were complete nonsense and demonstrated that the person had absolutely no idea how to operate the aircon - a fact the technician later confirmed.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 October 2008

The hotel is on top of a hill which guarantees a breath taking view from the restaurant. The breakfast is perfect with champaign and everything. But they won't give you a nice room, means view to a construction site and instead of a king bed two single beds pushed together.
The service is terrible. I wanted to have a reservation made, they didn't call the place and would make us wait an eternity to check for another restaurant. The staff is not professional - they are slow and unfriendly.
The worse was when an elderly couple (around 70 years old) came 15 minutes late for breakfast. Can you imagine? They sent them away! The man with his cane and the grandma stayed hungry. I guess it's not easy for them to find a breakfast place. It really broke my heart and I hated the hotel for that.

Stayed: September 2008
1  Thank AtinaIstanbul
Reviewed 5 October 2008

This is a very modern and stylish hotel. On arrival, we went up to the roof to check out the pool as the notices stated that the pool closed at eight in the evening. We got there at 7.30 but were told to leave as they were closing so there was no photo opportunity that evening. Our room was clean and had a sitting area which could be screened off from the bedroom if necessary. The bedroom had a flat screen TV build into the wall but we didn't use it. The air conditioning was a little noisy in common with other hotels! The small balcony was on the street side facing the skeleton of what appeared to be an apartment building. The room included a music centre and tea and coffee making facilities along with a sofa and chairs. The small bathroom boasted Hermes toiletries. We found our room noisy because of its' proximity to the street which would have been a problem if we had been staying longer than one night. At 5.40am, a large truck drew up just in front of our window and its' driver proceeded to crane off its' load of pallets filled with paving stones. He finished at 6.20 am, by which time we were unable to get back to sleep. Our bath flooded the bathroom when we let the water out but we were told by reception that this was common for Athenian plumbing! Our breakfast was taken on the roof with a wonderful panorama of Athens including the Parthenon. The menu was wide ranging and should suit most tastes. We were using the hotel prior to joining our ship in Pireaus and were able to wait in the very pleasant and air-conditioned foyer for our taxi.
All in all, it is a comfortable and well-designed hotel with the odd drawback but nothing too serious.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 October 2008

Just got back from two days at the hotel. We went on their end of summer package - 110 euros a night. Nice room, great views from the rooftop and really liked the area, Colonaki- leafy with nice cafes and restaurants. Didn't have any meals at the hotel - recommend breakfast at the Di Cappo cafe 2mins away in the square - fab capucinno and croisants. Also had beautiful seafood in a really cool little restaurant called Sardelles in the Gazi area - about 4 euros away by taxi. We walked everywhere and then got taxi's back up the hill at the end of the day - about 3 euros from the centre back to the hotel. Also really recommend the new Acropolis museum even though not fully open - absolutely amazing architecture.The perfect weekend in Athens.

Stayed: September 2008
1  Thank Sbl
Reviewed 23 September 2008

I arrived late at night to the St. George. It was raining hard and I had trouble getting a cab so I was soaked. The front desk was slow, nasty and unwilling to make me feel comfortable in my surroundings. My room was small, smelled stale and was noisy. Breakfast was awful. No one would call me a taxi when I was ready to leave. I had heard such great things about this hotel and I was very disappointed.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank zarknyc
stgeorgeAthens, GUEST RELATIONS MANAGER at St George Lycabettus Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 January 2009

Dear Guest,

We would like to begin by stressing that your comments are very important for our hotel and guest’s views on their general hotel experience is the greatest help that we at the St. George can get towards our objective of continuous improvement of the services of the hotel .

The St. George Lycabettus Hotel is a family-run business since 1974 and we strive to provide the best possible hospitality to all of our Guests

We really regret that we failed in providing you the best possible service especially upon arrival. We most of the time receive good comments about our Front of the House staff and its competency.

We are very concerned about our guests’ overall experience and therefore would like you to be aware of the fact that all departments have been informed about the specific remarks you made and all your comments will be discussed in the departmental meetings.

We would like to hope that the next time you choose to visit Athens, you will allow us to show you the effort that we put into making you feel comfortable and mostly welcomed.

With kind regards,

The Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed 23 September 2008

St George Lycabettus has an excellent location, clean boutique atmosphere and an amazing roof Garden restaurant. The rooms are not very big but better than average for Athens as the views are breathtaking ! The staff is courteous and helpful. Although you are within walking distance from many important places, monuments and fun places, you can enjoy and relax in a quite and upscale neighborhood in Kolonaki.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled solo