“Clean, comfortable and chic”
Review of Periscope Hotel

Periscope Hotel
Ranked #58 of 282 Hotels in Athens
Reviewed 19 June 2011

Like another reviewer, I've had mixed experiences with urban boutique hotels in the past (check my previous reviews for examples), mainly because they tend towards style over substance. But the Periscope Hotel was a welcome change.

I stayed just one night while in Athens on business, and though the street was a little hard to find, once I figured it out, I was pleased to discover how easy it was to walk from there to my business meetings, and up the nearby steps for sweeping views over the city.

The room was on the small side, but clean and comfortable, if a little hot. I liked the panoramic photo on the ceiling.

I was a bit dismayed to discover that there was construction work going on right across the street, and if I had the sliding door open, the noise was deafening. But whatever those windows are made of is truly miraculous - with the door shut, I wasn't bothered at all, and of course the noise stopped at night.

The bed was very comfortable and I slept well. The shower was spacious and nice miniature toiletries provided.

Unfortunately this was just a flying visit, and I had to depart early, so didn't get to experience breakfast.

All in all, a good night's sleep in a quiet, chic corner of the city, in a small hotel which hasn't compromised on comfort.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business

Reviewed 19 June 2011

Lovely hotel, clean and fresh. Staff were helpful and courteous. Free wifi. Ideal location - short walk from bars and restaurants of Plaka. Really good value too.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
YesHotels, Manager at Periscope Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your kind review! It will be our pleasure to accommodate you again in the future.

Reviewed 6 June 2011

I have been disappointed in the past by boutique/design hotels for being either not well maintained or have a very poor service or facilities. This time I have been surprised. The location is excellent, rooms are really nice and spacious, quite and neither seem to age nor lack of maintenance. The staff is very helpful. But the biggest surprise has been the restaurant where I had a fantastic dinner (minimalistic cooking, fantastic matching of sublime unusual ingredients).

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you very mych for your kind review! Periscope belongs to the Design Hotels Group and is designed by "Deca Architects" and Alexandros Vaitsos, renowned architect. Superior room ceilings are covered with actual aerial photographs by Nikos Daniilides, also famous photographer!
We will be happy to accommodate you again in the future!

Reviewed 11 May 2011

This is the second time I have stayed at the Periscope and would never now stay anywhere else in Athens. Although it is very central, the hotel is located in a quiet street and the staff go out of their way to help you with your stay in Athens. There is a small but wonderful restaurant on the ground floor with a talented chef who produces the most fabulous food. I couldn't have been made to feel more comfortable by staff who are charming and helpful at all times.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo

Dear Guest,

It is always our pleasure to receive such reviews and know that you had an excellent stay with us!
We will be happy to accommodate you again in the future!

Reviewed 27 April 2011

We stayed at this hotel for four days, and it was a delightful experience! It started with a very courteous and helpful service when we checked in and continued in that matter throughout our entire stay. And even though they renovated the restaurant the hotel managed to serve a high quality breakfast; with exquisite quality products!
Our rooms were quite spacious and had a good standard, and the bed and pillows had good quality and provided a good nights sleep.
So if you are looking for a centrally located in Athens (lovely Kolonaki), with personalised service and excellent value for money; Periscope Hotel should be your choice!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your kind review and we do hope to have the chance and wellcome you again in Periscope Hotel!

Reviewed 18 April 2011

The Periscope hotel were so welcoming and polite. It was just me and a girl friend of mine, travelling on our own for the first time, and we couldn't have asked for a better place. At first it was difficult to find, so the receptionist came and found us! Kolonaki is a lovely district, we felt very safe, so many cute bars, restaurants, boutique shops and bars to choose from. We spent one evening in the hotels restaurant, which was lovely, the waiters were very courteous. Breakfast had a good range to chose from, all fresh and delicious food. Only a short walk to the center of Athens, a really lovely walk at that. I will definitely be recommending the Periscope to friends and family! Though one thing I may add, the bathroom door is only cloudy glass, which would be fine if you were with a spouse, but we had to warn each other when we were getting in and out of the shower so we didn't see the silhouette of each others bits! That certainly did not outweigh all the other good points about the Periscope though.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
YesHotels, Manager at Periscope Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2011

Dear Guest,

We appreciate your kind comments and taking the time to write such a detailed review!
We will be happy to accommodate you again in Periscope Hotel!

Reviewed 12 April 2011

My partner and I were very impressed with this hotel. We would thoroughly recommend it for any type of stay in Athens, long or short, business or pleasure.

The location is great - max twenty minutes walk to any of the major sites including the Acropolis. It's situated in Kolonaki which is a very trendy/upmarket area or Athens with lots of designer stores and loads of good quality restaurants and bars.

The restaurant at this possibly the best hotel restaurant I've ever encountered. The breakfast buffet is amazing, even the room service meal that I ordered one night was of the highest quality possible. I think I read somewhere that the chef is michelin-starred, and if so, this is definately apparent.

The staff are quiet but friendly and helpful.

The only thing to watch out for is that although we booked a room with a balcony, it couldn't really be discribed as a balcony! Definitely not big enough to sit out on, just a some sliding doors that look out onto the road. And if you're keen on a 'room with a view' this isn't the hotel for you. Also rooms are not soundproof (bring earplugs if you have probelms sleeping with noise). But highly recommended dispite this - I think the positives outweigh the negatives!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
YesHotels, Manager at Periscope Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2011

Dear Guests,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review. We really appreciate your comments and observations.
We do hope to have the pleasure of accommodating you again in the future.