“A perfect place to stay in the heart of Athens”

Royal Olympic Hotel
Ranked #67 of 282 Hotels in Athens
Reviewed 7 January 2014

A lovely hotel with spacious rooms and an accommodating staff. It is reasonable priced and the location is lovely. Overlooking the Temple of Zeus, you can easily visit Athens' attractions. I liked the neighborhood very much and enjoyed just walking from the hotel and taking in the flavors of the city. Breakfast is included in their rates.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the main street.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Athanasia L
Write a ReviewReviews (3,270)

Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

Its kind of good hotel, but the cleaners are terrible, we was 2 night and they come only once to clean the room! I dont know what kind of 5 star hotel is this.. They dont have good consiege service and all that stuffs, so if u planning to come in athens, find another hotel..
Simply terrible!

Stayed: January 2014
2  Thank Atravelermk
Reviewed 1 January 2014

It was a very special occasion for us - our 40th wedding anniversary. We decided to make it special by going to Greece (Athens, Santorini, Mykonos and Chania) for three weeks and stay in the best hotels we could find on the net and in their best rooms. For Athens we chose the Royal Olympic and the room we chose was the "Athenian Panaroma" at Euros 297 per night for three nights between 9th and 12th December 2013.

Later we added another day stay on the 6th when we were arriving from India so that we would be fresh to leave for Mykonos for three days and then come back to Athens for our anniversary.

The Athenian panorama room was as good as we expected (you don't expect crap for 300 Euros a night. and the view was awesome. Being a photographer that was a boon although I realised much earlier (on the 6th itself) that the same view was available to every one when they had breakfast, lunch or dinner or visited the bar for a drink. A bit better actually because it was a couple of floors higher but that was not an issue and we loved it at first sight.

The air-conditioning was superb as were the bathroom and other facilities. The lobby of the hotel was grand though a bit sparse and one did get the feeling of being in a five star hotel that this is . . . at least visually. The problems start when you start living there.

The Staff : The staff at the front desk were very businesslike and professional which sounds nice except that there was a biot of frost every time one talked to the gentlemen at the front desk - the two younger ones. There was an older one who was warmer. These two gentlemen were not just frosty but positively arrogant. Surprising for a European five star hotel. Over the last 30 years one has made scores of trips most of which were official business trips in my capacity as CEO of a multinational company, I have a fair idea of what to expect from a hotel in Europe. Professional and business like yes but always with a smile and courteous and at least with a hint of warmth. Not frosty and never arrogant. These gentlemen made one feel unwanted because they were borderline rude.

That was not all. We had asked for a kingsize bed, naturally, and got a kingsize bed - or so we thought looking at the bed as it was covered in the blankets. When we lay down for the night we realised there were two mattresses of single beds kept side by side so that you could feel the gap between them when we slept. Yes we are a mature couple in our sixties but if we wanted to sleep in separate beds we would have asked for it !!

The next surprise came next morning. There was no kettle for tea and/or coffee in the room. - in a 300 Euro per night room !! So either one ordered room serves (which we did) or one waited for breakfast time and go up to the breakfast are to have tea. We preferred to order (at a cost of course, not cheap) and then went up for a second cup if we felt like it. Not completely unheard of but a big surprise in the best room of one of the fanciest hotels in downtown Athens.

The final straw on the camel's back came when we checked out. I was charged 1159 euros on my card (which they had taken impression of when I checked in) and had to pay a similar amount in cash for the food, bar etc. I paid up without bothering to look at the details. Then as I was waiting for the cab, I realised the sum charged for the rooms did not seem right. I took out the booking.com confirmation papers and saw that the amount should have been 879 euros. When I went back to the front desk I was told they had charged correctly. When I showed the booking.com paper he called up someone and then informed I was charged 60 euros extra for the third bed !!

Now this was funny.

We were coming there after three days in Mykonos. I had originally asked for an extra bed for our daughter but later since she could not make it I called the hotel to inform that we would not need the extra bed. My reservation slip with booking.com that I carried to the hotel had no mention of the extra bed. When we had come for an overnight stay on our way to Mykonos we had not got a n extra bed nor were we charged for it.

When we came back for these three days the first thing I noticed was an extra bed in the room and asked for it to be removed for it looked ugly in a fancy room of some character. I was told it would be removed immediately but it was not removed that night. I went down to the front desk the next morning and complained wh the extra bed was not removed since we are only two persons, he apologised and had the bed removed. So the matter ended . . . but this was not so.

- These people charged me for an extra bed which I had called up to say I do not want.
- Even if they deny I called, when I checked in I was asked for my passport which I handed over and I was asked to give the passport of both of us staying in the room so I gave my wife's as well. How come no one asked for a third person's passport?
- They were told to remove the extra bed immediately on arrival which they did albeit one day late. So they knew within half an hour of our checking in that we were only two in the room and did not need an extra bed.
- So what did they charge me the 180 euros for - for keeping an empty extra bed in my room for ONE NIGHT !! That two would have been ZERO nights if there house keeping had been efficient enough to remove it as soon as we asked.

Or is it that they did not remove it on the first night intentionally so that they could charge the extra money ?

No amount of my explaining helped. They just kept repeating that their original instructions from booking.com said an extra bed which they were obliged to charge for since it wasn't cancelled in writing through booking.com !!

Shocking.

I paid well over 2000 euros for the three days so 180 euros doesn't kill me but this scandalous behaviour by a top establishment does.

Room Tip: Don't go there unless you have no options in which case make sure you have every single thing co...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
9  Thank Swaranjeet1950
Reviewed 29 December 2013

I booked ROH through an online site but since we will arrive from Santorini a bit past midnight, I directly coordinated with the reservations to hold our booking since it is a guarantee that we will arrive. A bit jaded and tired, the receptionist handed us the card and told us we had been upgraded. Not minding at all since we just want to take a rest and sleep. Upon opening the door, we were surprised that the view is spectacular. It is amazing and breathtaking. A window from floor to ceiling with the Temple of Zeus as view. The room is so large that it can accommodate atleast 10 more people. We were apparently upgraded to Athenian Panorama Room. Breakfast at the rooftop with Parthenon and again, the Temple of Zeus as views. Royal Olympic Hotel was definitely a better choice than Hilton. Everything is POH was a pleasant surprise.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ChristineAnotado
Reviewed 23 December 2013

We stayed that the Royal Olympic for four nights during a visit to Greece. The hotel stay was very good and we would recommend it to others. Perhaps the best part of the hotel was the rooftop restaurant and lounge. This offers unparalleled views of the Acropolis, Temple of Zeus, and other great sites. Its location is prime as most major Athens attractions are within walking distance.

The room was very nice by European standards. Though the twin beds being pushed together with no mattress cover ended up creating more of a pain than they might realize. The television is limited, but hopefully you're busy enough to not worry about that too much. The bathroom in the room is very nice, though we did have to worry about temperature fluctuations while showering.

The breakfast is tremendous and really adds a special touch to the experience. In the evenings the restaurant and lounge are excellent stops if you are simply too tired to venture out.

Overall your stay should be wonderful here.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Robert A
Reviewed 20 December 2013

Athens was part of our honeymoon. We went there for athens classic marathon and for honeymoon. We stayed at this hotel for 2 days.
This hotel its so easy to find. we had a best room view.
Breakfast was great and had a best view too ( Acropolis view.)
But the staff was a bit snob we don't know why.
We booked for smoking room, apparently they don't have smoking room, but they didn't inform us.
So after checked out , we realize they charge us for smoking in room 100 euro a day. So we paid 200 euro for 2 days.
Little bit disappointed because they don't inform us about the smoking rules when we checked in.
overall we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dheedey
Reviewed 19 December 2013

The hotel is well located, but looks like faded glory in many places. Our friends had a panorama room, which came with a great view. Our room was more standard, tucked away into one of the wings of the hotel. We had to traverse innumerable corridors and hunt down elevators to find out way.

The room was comfortable enough, perhaps a bit below a 5* expectation. The TV remote did not work and the time set on the TV was still enjoying the summer. The screen was nicely framed as a picture, which was quite novel.

No doormen (OK, it was off-season, winter and a bit cold, but for a 5* property, some really strange reasons!), and skeletal staff - perhaps the season had something to do with this.

The breakfast on the 7th floor was great.

The hotel staff was perhaps the downer - during the rest of our holiday (Mykonos, Santorini and other places we visited) we had people, hotel & restaurant staff eager to please, smiling away - here, they were reserved and looked a bit snooty. Polite, but just a bit stiff. Not terribly helpful unless you pushed your point.

Overall, an OK experience.

Room Tip: Try a room with a view of the Temple of Zeus (a bit expensive)
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends