“Basic hotel in a great central location”

Royal Olympic Hotel
Ranked #66 of 282 Hotels in Athens
Reviewed 21 January 2014

About 70 minutes on the train. You get the Blue line from airport to Sygmanta then red line to Akropolis. Cost from airport 8 Euros. Make sure you validate your tickets before travel on train or face a very steep fine. The validating machines are in the stations.
Taxi would be probably be between about 35 Euros and 65 Euros depending on time of day and haggling skills.

Quick check in
Staff was very professional and polite but lack warmth or personal touch. Some cleaners and some restaurant staff were quite nice.
We were not given info about fitness room or Internet. We had to ask. Given two guide booklets on Athens ...one which had very expensive tours. The gym was at the back far away from rest of hotel building, you have to go out of the door and walk down the road.
The gym is small and equipment is not the best I've seen.
Water cooler and towels provided in the gym.
Pool looks lovely but was closed during our stay as it was winter.
The lobby is big and nicely decorated to make it look impressive.

The room
The standard room is very basic. Bathroom had a tub and shower thing hanging over bath and a curtain...ok but not 5 star at all, have stayed in other 4 stars with more stunning bathrooms. Yellow blanket on the bed (see pictures) not a 5 star look at all, it doesn't look very lush. Asked for extra blanket, brought quickly.
We had free wifi, connection a bit slow most of the time and we had to keep logging in often.
No kettle/tea facilities in room. LCD tv but not much choice on stuff to watch. Mostly Greek. We just watched news.
Our room was at the back facing the pool. It was quiet but there was a humming noise during the night possibly from the fridge.
There was a mini bar/fridge. No iron.
More Sockets needed in rooms.
Cleaners came very early. (Maybe too early)

Breakfast
They had two options, hot and continental. I've had better. Food barely warm. Eggs, Mushrooms, Sausages, tomatoes, croissants, breads,
cold stuff: Cheese, ham, turkey breast, olives, tomatoes, cucumber
Juice nice, greek yoghurt nice
Varieties of tea
Great view from the rooftop restaurant ...hotel's best feature I would say.

Things to do
Sightseeing Hop on hop off red bus does a very quick tour of Athens. (There are other city tour buses, we used the red city sightseeing one)
There are two lines, one for the city centre and one for outskirts and ports.
90 minutes and 60 minutes each.
Demitris...an employee for the bus gave us good info and discount.
Some stops include Akropolis, old Olympics stadium, Planetarium , cruise ship port, Markets for meat, fish, cheese, spices,
For those who love shopping, there is the bug department store...Attica store. You can find expensive designer stuff there and other things too. More like John Lewis or House of Fraser in UK.

There are many cheap and also expensive Restaurants to patron in Athens. Most allow customers to smoke which was strange for us Brits. They also have a habit of opening bottled water and pouring it in your glasses, and giving you bread and olives without asking (and they will charge you for it) so don't be embarrassed to say no thanks if you don't want it. Some of the smaller eating places near the Akropolis have this irritating habit of nagging and coaxing people into restaurants. Again just say no thanks and they will eventually leave you alone.
Lovely city...3-5 days should be enough to explore!
If we ever visited Greece again, would try a different hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Missy J
Write a ReviewReviews (3,291)

Reviewed 20 January 2014 via mobile

The hotel location and lobby is very good. The reception women was very cold and unwelcoming. We checked in and no one was called to take our luggage (very surprised for a 5star). We came to our room to find a twin room rather then a double which I booked. I was rather angry as we have had a very long journey and didn't need this aggravation . I went to the reception and complained to the women she grunted to me and spoke to a man inside the office and said he will be out in a minute. I stood there like a fool for few minutes. Well he never came out and eventually she gave me a another room "no apology or anything". The rooms are small but adequate. This hotel simply lackes the finesse to be a five star. All the staff needs to cheers up. We go on holiday and spend a lot of our hard earned money no to see your miserable faces. If you don't like your job find something else. In a country with major financial crisses believe me you can't afford to annoy tourist.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank jimmyjame
Reviewed 11 January 2014

Currently staying here due to location and price.. on entry to reception looks very classy and well kept. Check in nice and smooth.
staff seem friendly.
on the first 2 days for business logged into free wifi. Disastrous. Slow and generally unussable. If your here on business think twice.on day 4 o4 it never improved

The rooms are ok seem cleqn withflat screen tv.
Bathroom was dated but functional

view from 7th floor bar was grea and is recommended

would i come back to this botel. Unlikely

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 January 2014

We stayed at this hotel from Oct.2-5 2014. Our booking was handled by our travel agency Fantasy Travel. The lobby portrays a grandeur of a time long gone. When I checked into the room I found the pillows lumpy with yellow stains & hair that did not belong to me. The blankets were old & uncovered. I called housekeeping & requested additional pillows & an additional sheet thinking that the matter was a housekeeping oversight. While waiting for housekeeping, I tried to connect to WIFI. I followed the directions given to me at reception to no avail. I tried for over an hour while waiting for the new & hopefully clean pillows. After 2 hours, I went downstairs & spoke with the manager who had the disposition of an Artic storm & explained my frustrations with housekeeping & WIFI. Eventually, they had to send their computer tech to the room to resolve the issue which was a daily event during my 4 night stay. Housekeeping brought additional pillows all of which were very old, stained & disgusting. When they brought an additional top sheet to cover the blanket, it was removed the following day resulting in daily calls to housekeeping.
The bathroom was very old & had black mildew on the tile grout. I pointed it out to the housekeeper but, it remained there for the duration of our stay.
The room & décor was very old & obviously had not received an update in a very long time if ever.
On the positive side, the breakfasts were very good & had a wide selection of choices. Breakfast is served on the roof which has a fantastic view & great for photos. The breakfast staff seemed overworked & under staffed & were quick to remind guests that they were closing very soon & that they needed to hurry up.
The hotel was also very well located to historical sites, many dining choices & shopping.
I do not know how this is a 4-5 star hotel because the cleanliness & hospitality were severly lacking. Find somewhere else.

Room Tip: We faced the pool & courtyard which was quiet.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Mindy S
Reviewed 7 January 2014

A lovely hotel with spacious rooms and an accommodating staff. It is reasonable priced and the location is lovely. Overlooking the Temple of Zeus, you can easily visit Athens' attractions. I liked the neighborhood very much and enjoyed just walking from the hotel and taking in the flavors of the city. Breakfast is included in their rates.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the main street.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Athanasia L
Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

Its kind of good hotel, but the cleaners are terrible, we was 2 night and they come only once to clean the room! I dont know what kind of 5 star hotel is this.. They dont have good consiege service and all that stuffs, so if u planning to come in athens, find another hotel..
Simply terrible!

Stayed: January 2014
2  Thank Atravelermk
Reviewed 1 January 2014

It was a very special occasion for us - our 40th wedding anniversary. We decided to make it special by going to Greece (Athens, Santorini, Mykonos and Chania) for three weeks and stay in the best hotels we could find on the net and in their best rooms. For Athens we chose the Royal Olympic and the room we chose was the "Athenian Panaroma" at Euros 297 per night for three nights between 9th and 12th December 2013.

Later we added another day stay on the 6th when we were arriving from India so that we would be fresh to leave for Mykonos for three days and then come back to Athens for our anniversary.

The Athenian panorama room was as good as we expected (you don't expect crap for 300 Euros a night. and the view was awesome. Being a photographer that was a boon although I realised much earlier (on the 6th itself) that the same view was available to every one when they had breakfast, lunch or dinner or visited the bar for a drink. A bit better actually because it was a couple of floors higher but that was not an issue and we loved it at first sight.

The air-conditioning was superb as were the bathroom and other facilities. The lobby of the hotel was grand though a bit sparse and one did get the feeling of being in a five star hotel that this is . . . at least visually. The problems start when you start living there.

The Staff : The staff at the front desk were very businesslike and professional which sounds nice except that there was a biot of frost every time one talked to the gentlemen at the front desk - the two younger ones. There was an older one who was warmer. These two gentlemen were not just frosty but positively arrogant. Surprising for a European five star hotel. Over the last 30 years one has made scores of trips most of which were official business trips in my capacity as CEO of a multinational company, I have a fair idea of what to expect from a hotel in Europe. Professional and business like yes but always with a smile and courteous and at least with a hint of warmth. Not frosty and never arrogant. These gentlemen made one feel unwanted because they were borderline rude.

That was not all. We had asked for a kingsize bed, naturally, and got a kingsize bed - or so we thought looking at the bed as it was covered in the blankets. When we lay down for the night we realised there were two mattresses of single beds kept side by side so that you could feel the gap between them when we slept. Yes we are a mature couple in our sixties but if we wanted to sleep in separate beds we would have asked for it !!

The next surprise came next morning. There was no kettle for tea and/or coffee in the room. - in a 300 Euro per night room !! So either one ordered room serves (which we did) or one waited for breakfast time and go up to the breakfast are to have tea. We preferred to order (at a cost of course, not cheap) and then went up for a second cup if we felt like it. Not completely unheard of but a big surprise in the best room of one of the fanciest hotels in downtown Athens.

The final straw on the camel's back came when we checked out. I was charged 1159 euros on my card (which they had taken impression of when I checked in) and had to pay a similar amount in cash for the food, bar etc. I paid up without bothering to look at the details. Then as I was waiting for the cab, I realised the sum charged for the rooms did not seem right. I took out the booking.com confirmation papers and saw that the amount should have been 879 euros. When I went back to the front desk I was told they had charged correctly. When I showed the booking.com paper he called up someone and then informed I was charged 60 euros extra for the third bed !!

Now this was funny.

We were coming there after three days in Mykonos. I had originally asked for an extra bed for our daughter but later since she could not make it I called the hotel to inform that we would not need the extra bed. My reservation slip with booking.com that I carried to the hotel had no mention of the extra bed. When we had come for an overnight stay on our way to Mykonos we had not got a n extra bed nor were we charged for it.

When we came back for these three days the first thing I noticed was an extra bed in the room and asked for it to be removed for it looked ugly in a fancy room of some character. I was told it would be removed immediately but it was not removed that night. I went down to the front desk the next morning and complained wh the extra bed was not removed since we are only two persons, he apologised and had the bed removed. So the matter ended . . . but this was not so.

- These people charged me for an extra bed which I had called up to say I do not want.
- Even if they deny I called, when I checked in I was asked for my passport which I handed over and I was asked to give the passport of both of us staying in the room so I gave my wife's as well. How come no one asked for a third person's passport?
- They were told to remove the extra bed immediately on arrival which they did albeit one day late. So they knew within half an hour of our checking in that we were only two in the room and did not need an extra bed.
- So what did they charge me the 180 euros for - for keeping an empty extra bed in my room for ONE NIGHT !! That two would have been ZERO nights if there house keeping had been efficient enough to remove it as soon as we asked.

Or is it that they did not remove it on the first night intentionally so that they could charge the extra money ?

No amount of my explaining helped. They just kept repeating that their original instructions from booking.com said an extra bed which they were obliged to charge for since it wasn't cancelled in writing through booking.com !!

Shocking.

I paid well over 2000 euros for the three days so 180 euros doesn't kill me but this scandalous behaviour by a top establishment does.

Room Tip: Don't go there unless you have no options in which case make sure you have every single thing co...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family