“we loved it, perfect location, great staff.”

Royal Olympic Hotel
Ranked #65 of 282 Hotels in Athens
Reviewed 25 February 2014

a lovely hotel, great staff, near to a metro station and great breakfast. the room had a balcony, it was a bit dated, but very clean, a really comfortable bed a very quite. the rest of the hotel is very nice too, very 5 star looking. the breakfast offers a huge choice and all very nicely cooked, fresh bread, we loved it. the biggest plus is the roof top terrace, over looking the zeus temple with fantastic views of the acropolis . the nearest metro station is funnily enough acropolis, and is only a few minutes walk away, even with suitcases. it only takes 40 minutes or so from the airport directly, apart from a last minute metro change for one station. the staff are great, very friendly and smiling. i can't fault it at all really. stay here, the city is well worth visiting.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank johnboycrawleydown

Reviewed 24 February 2014

Well, I did not stay in this hotel but had a dinner a couple of days ago. I have to say I was not impressed at all. The food quality was nothing special, the taste as well. We were served some pasta for first dish and it was rather tasteless, the second dish was a pork dish and I really hated the smell of the meat. The desert, which was a chocolate mousse was the surprise of the evening, it was actually really good! Except for the above, I have to admit the view is spectacular!!!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Travelover A
Reviewed 24 February 2014

We have been accommodated in Royal Olympic for one week last November. The unique location combined with the stuff kindness and professionalism deserve the best comments.
Congratulation for the bartenders, the waiters, the receptionists, the doormen, the restaurant supervisors and the high level of cleaningness especially at the public areas and W.C.s. Me and my wife with our 8 year old boy and our friends (rooms 503, 508) are planning to visit Athens again this summer. Very close to the metro station and the hotest Athens spots.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 February 2014

My wife and I took a short 3 day Valentine's break and decided that we should visit Athens. We booked the hotel on the basis it was in a good location and within walking distance to all the sites we were going to visit. The price quoted including breakfast was very reasonable. The hotel arranged for a taxi to meet us from the airport a very lare E class Mercedes, the cost of this was €60 one way, they charged the room. Normal taxis from the airport normally charge 35/40. We preferred this as the driver spoke English, was very polite and met us on the arrivals door and a very short walk to the car.

The hotel had a very plush lobby. The reception was very efficient and we were given the keys and the information for the free wifi Internet. The room was nice and clean with a king size bed, the room was not so big but was not bad. The bathroom clean with all the facilities. My wife asked the maid next day for slippers as we didnt have any. The fridge was stocked well but the prices were as per usual very overpriced. There is a small shop next door where we purchased our bottle water. The breakfast is served on the top floor which has a magnificent view of Acropolis and Hadrian's gate. The breakfast was very good with both it and cold buffet. Fully recommended if ou are not after too much luxury.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mehmet c
Reviewed 3 February 2014

My husband thought that we had booked a suite, for us and our 14-year-old son, but when we arrived it was a fairly pokey triple room. My son thought the bathroom looked like a motel room. Quite surprising after seeing the lobby, which is very plush. As we arrived at 4am in the morning I waited until the next day to see if we could move to something bigger. The woman on reception told us to come back at 1 to look at some alternative rooms. My husband was working, so this is what my son and I did. On going back to her at 1.10, and with some colleagues now next to her, she informed us that no rooms were ready for us to look at. I said that she'd told us to come back at that time and she said 'I said after 1' (which it was!). She told us that we should go to our room and wait for her to call us, but she didn't know when that would be. I explained that we were on holiday and didn't want to stay in the room all afternoon. She was incredibly rude and unhelpful. Later a male receptionist offered us two rooms to look at and we did swap to a bigger room, at the same price, where my son had his own room. So, the accommodation was ok in the end. The breakfast was great and the view from the restaurant is superb. But I think that some more staff training is needed! Thank you to the lovely porter who showed us to our room. And my son thought the fitness room was very good (although you had to go out of the hotel and round the corner to get to it!).

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank kokribite
Reviewed 21 January 2014

About 70 minutes on the train. You get the Blue line from airport to Sygmanta then red line to Akropolis. Cost from airport 8 Euros. Make sure you validate your tickets before travel on train or face a very steep fine. The validating machines are in the stations.
Taxi would be probably be between about 35 Euros and 65 Euros depending on time of day and haggling skills.

Quick check in
Staff was very professional and polite but lack warmth or personal touch. Some cleaners and some restaurant staff were quite nice.
We were not given info about fitness room or Internet. We had to ask. Given two guide booklets on Athens ...one which had very expensive tours. The gym was at the back far away from rest of hotel building, you have to go out of the door and walk down the road.
The gym is small and equipment is not the best I've seen.
Water cooler and towels provided in the gym.
Pool looks lovely but was closed during our stay as it was winter.
The lobby is big and nicely decorated to make it look impressive.

The room
The standard room is very basic. Bathroom had a tub and shower thing hanging over bath and a curtain...ok but not 5 star at all, have stayed in other 4 stars with more stunning bathrooms. Yellow blanket on the bed (see pictures) not a 5 star look at all, it doesn't look very lush. Asked for extra blanket, brought quickly.
We had free wifi, connection a bit slow most of the time and we had to keep logging in often.
No kettle/tea facilities in room. LCD tv but not much choice on stuff to watch. Mostly Greek. We just watched news.
Our room was at the back facing the pool. It was quiet but there was a humming noise during the night possibly from the fridge.
There was a mini bar/fridge. No iron.
More Sockets needed in rooms.
Cleaners came very early. (Maybe too early)

Breakfast
They had two options, hot and continental. I've had better. Food barely warm. Eggs, Mushrooms, Sausages, tomatoes, croissants, breads,
cold stuff: Cheese, ham, turkey breast, olives, tomatoes, cucumber
Juice nice, greek yoghurt nice
Varieties of tea
Great view from the rooftop restaurant ...hotel's best feature I would say.

Things to do
Sightseeing Hop on hop off red bus does a very quick tour of Athens. (There are other city tour buses, we used the red city sightseeing one)
There are two lines, one for the city centre and one for outskirts and ports.
90 minutes and 60 minutes each.
Demitris...an employee for the bus gave us good info and discount.
Some stops include Akropolis, old Olympics stadium, Planetarium , cruise ship port, Markets for meat, fish, cheese, spices,
For those who love shopping, there is the bug department store...Attica store. You can find expensive designer stuff there and other things too. More like John Lewis or House of Fraser in UK.

There are many cheap and also expensive Restaurants to patron in Athens. Most allow customers to smoke which was strange for us Brits. They also have a habit of opening bottled water and pouring it in your glasses, and giving you bread and olives without asking (and they will charge you for it) so don't be embarrassed to say no thanks if you don't want it. Some of the smaller eating places near the Akropolis have this irritating habit of nagging and coaxing people into restaurants. Again just say no thanks and they will eventually leave you alone.
Lovely city...3-5 days should be enough to explore!
If we ever visited Greece again, would try a different hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Missy J
Reviewed 20 January 2014 via mobile

The hotel location and lobby is very good. The reception women was very cold and unwelcoming. We checked in and no one was called to take our luggage (very surprised for a 5star). We came to our room to find a twin room rather then a double which I booked. I was rather angry as we have had a very long journey and didn't need this aggravation . I went to the reception and complained to the women she grunted to me and spoke to a man inside the office and said he will be out in a minute. I stood there like a fool for few minutes. Well he never came out and eventually she gave me a another room "no apology or anything". The rooms are small but adequate. This hotel simply lackes the finesse to be a five star. All the staff needs to cheers up. We go on holiday and spend a lot of our hard earned money no to see your miserable faces. If you don't like your job find something else. In a country with major financial crisses believe me you can't afford to annoy tourist.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends