“Terrible value for money”

Royal Olympic Hotel
Ranked #67 of 282 Hotels in Athens
Reviewed 27 March 2014

It claims to be a 5-star hotel. The rooms do not even have a properly working air conditioning system. We're staying here right now in the month of March, where it gets fairly warm and the only way for ventilation is to open the windows.

Moreover, the internet is so pathetic, specially after 6pm that they should be obliged to write " extremely low speed internet", if any. The rooms aren't pretty and are small. There are no facilities in the room such as iron board, microwave, etc. I am here to attend a conference, and was deeply disappointed during my first visit to the great city of Athens.

The pictures (with view from the windows) are a myth for most rooms at least.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank uk91
Write a ReviewReviews (3,270)

Reviewed 25 March 2014

this is by no means a 5-star hotel. it is simply too old. they should either do a serious renovation or reduce the rating.
the staff is fine, they are helpful and attentive, but the experience in the rooms is just not up to 5-star standard.
you should avoid the low-priced executive rooms at any cost, we were lucky to get an upgrade to a deluxe room, which was fine, but also not 5-star.
location is great, the bed was comfortable. the bathroom has a bathtub with an annoying curtain to it, that really gets on your nerves while taking a shower. at night the hotel is noisy, as you hear a lot through these old walls.
the breakfast is a bit poor, given the amazing standard of food in greece. but the view from the restaurant is beautiful.

Room Tip: avoid executive rooms
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Just got back from the Royal Olympic in Athens, excellent hotel with great rooms. We were given a free upgrade to a suite which was lovely. Very large room with view over the temple of Zeus. The bar prices were a bit steep, but i suppose you expect that in a 4* hotel. Didn't eat there so couldn't comment. The buffet breakfast was 25 euro each, but we didn't take this either, cheaper to walk 5 mins up the road where there were many cafes. A lovely hotel in a great location, would gladly stay here again. The view of the acropolis from the rooftop bar was worth the visit.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 March 2014

Over the past three or four years, I have stayed in a lot of hotels across about 15 countries and I've never been let down by a hotel quite as badly as this one. On paper, it looked good.. perfect location, free wifi and breakfast and a nice rooftop restaurant.

My check-in process was a bit muddled but, to be fair, that was probably more to do with Hotels.com than the hotel. Still, getting into the hotel at 2am and then having to go into the manager's office to print off proof of booking - including payment - and still having a 1200 euro swipe taken of your credit card is not quite the welcome you would want. Fortunately, that was sorted next day with a call to the aforementioned booking site.

The reception lobby is quite grand and shows a lot of promise when entering the hotel - similarly, the big marble stairs and elevator lobby on each floor felt quite special. Unfortunately, once you step out of there and into the corridors, it's like being teleported into a completely different hotel. The corridors are pretty depressing with dark old carpets and badly marked walls, and I've stayed in many better 4* rooms then this supposed 5* one. The room felt like something out of the 80s - nothing was too terrible but it just didn't feel particularly upmarket and seemed like it was badly in need of an update. Even worse was the shower head which looked like it had years of grime and rust on it - pretty disgusting. I complained about this next day and it was replaced but seriously.. you shouldn't *have* to complain about stuff like this in any hotel, never mind one that has such a rating.

Now lets move on to my big three - the three main gripes that I almost always mention in my reviews.

1. No iron and ironing board. This one actually takes the prize as the first hotel that doesn't offer any kind of self-ironing facility AT ALL. That's right - not only was there no iron/ironing board in the room, they won;t provide one nor do they have an ironing room. So, when I needed to give seven work shirts a once over, i could either pay the hotel to iron my shirts @ 6 euros a shirt, or make do with my poor little travel iron and a chair with a towel draped over it as the ironing board. There's no excuse for this and it's the primary reason for my low score. Absolutely pathetic.

2. Wi-Fi. Okay, so - we have free wi-fi which is great because hotels that charge extra for it really winds me up. However, in many cases, free wi-fi means terrible wi-fi and that was sadly the case here with a service that would frequently drop and when it was running was about quick as treacle.

3. Sockets next to bed. Almost everyone has a smartphone these days and as we all know, these things need to be charged after a day of use. Many of us also use them as alarm clocks. Fortunately, after moving the bedside table aside, I found that I did indeed have an electrical socket next to the bed so we have some plus points here.

Well one and a half out of three isn't completely terrible I guess.

So lets dispense with the other minus points:

* No tea/coffee making facilities. No kettle or coffee maker of any kind in the room. Pretty poor.
* Dim lighting. Despite having a light in the cabinet area, two bedside lights and a lamp, even with all of these on - the room is really dark. If you are doing anything which requires a decent amount of light, you need to do it in the bathroom.
* Thin walls - people snoring, talking and other people's TVs. That what I spent my evenings/nights listening to.
* Mini-bar/fridge costs. You have to be dumb or just plain desperate to pay the prices in here -to put it into perspective - 250ml Coke costs 5.50 euros from the mini bar. About 1 minute walk up the road from the hotel is a mini-market shop where you can pay 1.20 for a 500ml bottle of Coke (double the size for less than a third of the cost). Which is what I did every day on the way back from the office.
* Air conditioning doesn't seem to do much. I was a bit warm at night so set the thermostat to a low temperature and put it on 'cold' and the fan on medium. It made the room feel warmer. I know it's winter but this isn't Alaska.
* Remote control for the TV in my room wasn't working - probably the batteries. I probably could have complained again and had it fixed but I don't usually watch TV in hotels anyway. I did leave a note under the remote saying it wasn't working but that didn't work. Anyway, my point is really that again, this should be pro-actively checked and fixed in what is supposed to be a top-tier hotel.

Okay, I've whined enough - the hotel does have some redeeming factors:

* As mentioned before - location is excellent - close to Akropolis metro station on the red line, only a 10-15min walk from Syntagma on the blue line which takes you straight to the airport and close to the main attractions in Athens - right across the road from the Temple of Olympic Zeus, 5mins walk from Athens Gate and barely 10mins from the Acropolis. Lycabetus is a short metro ride or a slightly longer (but pleasant) walk.
* The rooftop restaurant is excellent - somewhat pricey but food and service are very good indeed.
* The pool area looks nice, I didn't use it as it wasn't quite warm enough out but I imagine had it been later in the year, I would have been out there reading a book with a cool beer.

It's a real shame, the great location and pleasant initial impressions of the Royal Olympic are quickly shattered when get further than the lobby. If the management could give the rooms (and corridors) some love, a better, more reliable internet connection and, for the love of god, some kind of self-ironing facility, it could be great. As it is, I'll definitely be staying elsewhere on my next visit to Athens.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
5  Thank MProudfoot
Reviewed 11 March 2014

We stayed here for the proximity to the attractions and we wanted a balcony to enjoy the views, particularly of the Temple. The hotel is adequate but a bit pricey, paying for the location rather than the standard of hotel.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Heather S
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Impressed with this hotel, we stayed in mid february and had 2 adjoining rooms. The rooms were well decorated, spacious and had a good balcony view. The wifi worked perfectly. Breakfast was good with amazing views. Would stay here again. Very good value for a 5* hotel.

Shame about the drilling every morning at 9am

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank SearleDave
Reviewed 10 March 2014

I really wanted to like this place. Now, I really regret staying there. We picked it because of the outstanding view of the Temple of Zeus, and that view is absolutely beautiful And we stayed in the Panorama Room with the balcony, so that part was wonderful.

We were there for four days. Where to start. The room smelled. The linens were old. Hotel bedspreads are never truly clean, I guess, but it was hard to convince myself that this one was ok to be physically located in the same place I planned to sleep. The glasses were dirty. There were no washcloths or hand towels in the bathroom. We asked for both, got hand towels, never did get washcloths. The minibar had drinks in it that were half gone, and the cap stuck back on. I also suspect that some of the clear liquids in the minibar had been used and replaced with water and the cap stuck back on. The air conditioner did not work. We asked several times for it to be fixed, only to be finally told upon checkout that they did not run the AC this time of year. Someone entered our room even when the "do not disturb" sign was out. One night there was a wedding upstairs, and the music vibrated our entire room way into the night. And the door to upstairs was just feet from our door, so it slammed all night. (fire door, btw, so it was a big slam) And if it didn't slam shut, sometimes it just stayed open, making the music 3 times louder.We complained about midnight, and were offered to move to another room. Seriously? Just have someone at least stay by the door, keep it from slamming , and keep it shut.

And here is the biggest part of all. Athens is cheap. The citizens are broke, so nothing is expensive. You can have a fabulous dinner for 50 euros. Cab ride across town 3 euros. THIS PLACE WAS 400 EUROS A NIGHT. For that price, this place should have been equivalent to the Plaza.

In closing, the breakfast was acceptable and the view was stunning. Would I stay there again? Not on your life.

Room Tip: stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple