“Nice hotel deco”

Royal Olympic Hotel
Ranked #67 of 285 Hotels in Athens
Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed only two days but it was amazing, its a really nice place. The reception does not have a really good indication of the places but they were nice. The guy on the entrance was rude and not much comprehensive but the hotel was beautiful and it had a really good location near dionysio a.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Cande D
Write a ReviewReviews (3,310)

Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Royal Olympic on two separate occasions this month and can recommend the location as it was within walking distance to so many attractions. The Plaka area was less than 5 minutes away. The rooftop bar is amazing for it's views of the Acropolis and Garden of Zeus and we highly recommend you have a drink up there and watch the sunset and enjoy the views but don't eat there unless you are prepared to pay triple the cost of what you would pay up the road in Plaka. Having said that though, the food and breakfast is great.

We had issues with our room on both occasions in that the air conditioning did not work - we had people come to our room to tinker around but were unable to fix it so it made for very unpleasant sleeping conditions. Our safe and fridge also didn't work in our first room which was annoying. The staff didn't seem to overly care too much so on that basis we probably won't stay here again.

Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I arrived in an absolute down pour. The doorman seemed more interested in keeping himself dry than arriving guests! I couldn't really see much around the hotel as the rain was so heavy.
At reception the young lady said, she was sorry for the rain and that she would upgrade me to an Athenian room. Wow, great room, everything I needed and what capped it all was the view once the rain cleared and the sun came out. A picture window looked out on to the temple of Zeus.
Look left and a view of the Acropolis if you squint! Go up to the roof garden for breakfast and you wont have to squint, what a view, what a good breakfast as well. The pool are is a little small but I didn't really get time to use it. Food and drink was a bit expensive. Room service was quick but food was cold! I would come again as long as I got the same price deal, I wouldn't like to have paid the full room rate.

Room Tip: try and get an upgrade to a view of the Zeus temple. (I was in 307)
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Firstly, what a great location and view of the Acropolis & The Temple of Zeus from the rooftop bar.

My mother booked the rooms and requested that we all had balconies overlooking the pool which is what she had paid for. Upon arrival, we had all be moved elsewhere with little reasoning behind it except that we were being upgraded! Well apart from the big sized bed, there was nothing about our "new" rooms that screamed "upgrade!"

There was really nothing striking about the rooms apart from the flushing system that if used during the early hours could have woken up your neighbours beside, below and above you.

In the majority of our dealings with reception staff we found that to be slightly cold and even put out by our requests. Whilst at the pool, no one seemed in a rush to take our order, maybe they were understaffed on that particular day. The pool itself was clean and refreshing and certainly needed after a hot trek about central Athens.

The gym is not on the actual premises, rather you need to go around the back of the hotel to access it.

Would I go back? Location and views - pretty awesome, but the rest, rather average!

Room Tip: Make sure that if you make a request prior to that it it followed up.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank donovanhallnz
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We stayed here three nights with a tour group. We didn't engage the staff much as they didn't seem available or interested. The location, near the Acropolis and the Plaka shopping area was fantastic. The view of the Acropolis at the bountiful breakfast buffet was a big plus. Like many European hotels the elevators were tiny. Depending on which section of the hotel you were in, you had to go to the lobby to take another elevator to get to the breakfast room. Room was ok and air conditioner was able to keep up when the temp outside was in the '80s.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 July 2014

I booked this hotel through expedia - and I thought I had a really good deal. For the price I paid for the executive room, I was very disappointed that it had no windows! In fact the room was rather basic.Since I was just back from 10days sailing trip, I went straight to bed that first day after ordering room service.

Luckily, my feelings about the hotel lifted somewhat when I went to breakfast the next morning. The first view as I stepped onto the rooftop restaurant was breathtaking and an unexpected twist after my 1st impression of the room. The food wasn't spectacular, and a little pricey - but I guess the view made up for it. I didn't had the chance to see the view at night unfortunately.

I had issues printing out my boarding pass from the business centre as the computers were in pretty bad shape - calling out for replacement! I can't even see the alphabets on the keyboard! Went to front desk, they were helpful but definitely not impressive enough to be memorable. I think the lobby can be made to be more welcoming too.

I guess I came with the expectation of 5 star hotel, based on the pictures on their website, and has been pretty much disappointed on 1st impression!

p/s the pool was pretty nice, but the service was also not great - the staff seem impatient to get you off your sunchair for the next guest! And oddly, no one came to ask me if I needed to order drinks.

Room Tip: Ask about the room in detail - windows, balcony etc,,
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 July 2014

I stayed in executive double rooms in this hotel in the first week of July with my family.
It had a spacious and pleasant lobby which was well decorated. For some reason it's check in time is 15:00. Hence after a 6:45 am flight from Heathrow we had some time to kill before we were able to get into our rooms. We spent that time in the roof top bar. The service was good, prices were not so good but it had an excellent view of the Acropolis.
The room was not very spacious but reasonable. Toilet was spacious but hardly had any place to leave your toiletries.
The most annoying thing was there was no kettle or any other coffee/tea making facility. When I requested it with room service, they were happy to provide hot water. While most of them were happy to provide it free, some of them insisted on charging €3 service charge for it.
There is no complimentary breakfast. It is another £20 per person.
There was no ironing facility as well. We didn't need it, but I suspect they would charge extra for it.
There were no bathrobes or slippers.
The hotel is walkable distance from the Acropolis, Plaka -- Shopping/ dining area, and Syntagma ( town centre/ parliament square)
We had a flight and stay deal through BA before the official start of school holidays. We thought it was a good deal.
Was it value for money? -- Certainly yes
Was it five star? -- Certainly not

Room Tip: There are much more comfortable rooms in the same hotel which you can have for significantly higher...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family