“Grand Dame Hotel uses Walker”

Royal Olympic Hotel
Ranked #66 of 282 Hotels in Athens
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Stayed here returning from islands before heading back to Edmonton Canada. Entering hotel one is greeted with a stated elegance and a promise of a better than average experience. Some of that unfolded, some of the experience was disappointing. We had no complaints about service as we didn't require anything extra during our stay. The breakfast buffet was average with usual fare found in most North American hotels. The view at the top is tremendous. We didn't get the evening experience as the prices are off the charts for the average traveler. Our room was very pleasant with a view of the pool but windows didn't open, however, we thought we had booked a room facing the Temple of Zeus. Getting to our room was a bit of a disappointment. We were in a room off the main corridor and in a wing. The carpeting in main corridor was a royal blue with gold, plush and very well kept. The carpet in the wing was a ratty very loose wrinkled budget roll that actually filled us with dread of the room we were heading toward when we first arrived. Fortunately, the room was spacious, clean and well appointed. On average, the experience was pleasant, but we won't likely stay there again. There are equally delightful properties in the immediate area offering the same views and a better value for the price.

Room Tip: Ask specifically for a room facing Temple of Zeus.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (3,291)

Reviewed 19 August 2014

I spent last night at this hotel in Athens. As a solo traveller, though I paid the normal rate for an Executive single room, I was given one of the worst rooms in the hotel, 421, that has no window, and is noisy, there is noise from some kind of equipment coming from a blinded panel.
My taxi picked me up at 5:45 a.m. and the previous evening, while checking in, I asked for a cup of coffee in the morning, instead of breakfast, prior to my check off. I was told the policy of this five star hotel is to provide a cup of coffee at early check out only for the rate of room service. Though they made me the favour of offering a cup of coffee for free but I was supposed to pay for the room service.
There were no bathrobe and slippers in my room and the bathroom had a plastic (!?, five star hotel?) curtain.
The employees at the reception were not nice at all and as concerns the cup of coffee, I was told: "This has been the policy of the hotel for more than 10 years and we are not going to change it for anyone". Excellent, customer (in)satisfaction guaranteed!
The location is very good nonetheless but it has nothing to do with the attitude of the employees towards the hotel's guests.

Room Tip: Beware, solo travellers, rooms without windows!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank TravellerDanas
Reviewed 19 August 2014

The only upside I really found with regards to staying in this hotel was that it was in good proximity to the Acropolis and right across the street from the Temple of Zeus. Since we visited on a weekend with the hottest temperature of the year, the proximity made a difference. The pool is small and the rooftop bar has terrible service and even worse cocktails. The rooftop breakfast is fine if it's provided complimentary to your room rate or if you really need to eat and can't venture out, but the food would never be worth paying for. There were no electrical outlets in the bathroom for a hair dryer and the bed wasn't a large bed, but two doubles placed together (not as advertised). Upside is that reception will book a driver for you (it's a taxi, not a service) to get to and from the hotel if you request it and will just charge your room.

Room Tip: Get something above the first floor.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Stayed five nights in room 341.

This is an upmarket hotel within sight of the Acropolis. I made a mistake with the booking in that I booked the flight with EasyJet and added the accommodation to the booking not noticing that it was room only. I had breakfast every morning, it was very good with plenty of choice and they did not charge me on the final bill!!! Asked to keep the room for a late flight, they charged 50 euros but I did not argue in view of the complimentary breakfast.

Restaurants were a short distance away by the metro. There was a good selection of menus and if you needed a taxi, they were fairly cheap.

The restaurant on the roof is enclosed in glass and gives a magnificent view across Athens but it was sparsely used in the evening, no doubt the pricing had that effect.

I'm glad I stayed here but I am sure for 520 euros I could get as good accommodation at a reduced rate elsewhere.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank GasFromSomerset
Reviewed 18 August 2014

This hotel is just a short walk from the Acropolis, it is located near the picturesque Plak neighborhood. I enjoyed a luxurious luxurious with a nice view to Zeus’s Temple, only a 100 meters away on the other side of the frond road! It looks greater at nights when you turn off the room lights, and have a romantic night with your partner! The swimming pool and the garden is on the back side and suitable enough. Staff are friendly, and you are not very far from the Parliament, and restaurants. When in Athens dont forget to try the Italian restaurant near by recommended by the Hotel receptionists. Good luck.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the Zeus’s Temple are better.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank 007Sultani
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Weakness:
small pool and little kid (1M5 3m) 20m2.
Breakfast in the 7th terrace with beautiful views but without typical (6 hot dishes, eggs, sausages, french fries, mushrooms) milk, yogurt, coffee fruit.
But restaurant (lunch and dinner) a bit expensive compared to nb restaurants next door,

GoodieStrenghts :
clean, impeccale service center
Located next to the Acropolis and 7 minutes walk from the city center
Cheap taxi
Seafood restaurant 7 minutes by taxi (recommended fish and fried sardines, Greek salad
Famous Greek restaurant meat on Thanasis. (4 min walk)
city ​​tour by mini train.
gym small but clean and air conditioned.
Wifi .

Room Tip: Take a suite if possible
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank amyos45
Reviewed 17 August 2014

My first two nights in Greece was ruined by the extremely careless staff of this hotel. As a single traveler they gave me the worst room in the hotel, it had no windows and no view,~~complete darkness, so I didn't know what time it was when I woke up after being jet-lagged from my 11 hour flight from New York City. I arrived at 11am Friday 7/25 morning and had planned this trip since January, they claim the room wouldn't be ready until 3pm.Then the Greek travel guide spoke with them and they gave me the tiny room from hell! I went to sleep immediately as I was so severely jet lagged and had to sleep in order to function. When I woke up I informed them that the room was unsatisfactory and they told me that they wouldn't have another room until the next day after 4pm. I decided to just keep the room because I had to check out at 6am the Sunday 7/27 morning for Mykonos, and I had the Athens tour, etc on Saturday. What upset me is the fact that when I returned to my room Saturday afternoon my garbage was not emptied and what is worse, they had the same dirty pillow case with the make up stain on it still on the supposedly made up bed!!! This is the nastiest upscale hotel that I stayed in ever. It is extremely sad as I spent many months and hard earned cash planning for this trip, it was such a negative start all the way around. None of the staff greeted me when I went in or out of the lobby, they were very cold and negative, no smiles. When I went to the front desk manager with my concern about the dirty room, all he could do was offer me a drink at the bar.

The bar with the view of the temple of Zeus is also disgustingly uncaring. The bartender never came over to me when I was there on the first night. He just kept walking by me at least three times as if my money wasn't real! I had to call him over. I am not sure what type of training they have here, but it is pretty sad as the place is pretty in the lobby, but that is where the beauty stops. I completely regret staying at this place. If you want a truly positive experience, this is NOT the place to stay!!! Take your money elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo