“Very Nice Hotel”

Ranked #61 of 326 Hotels in Athens
Florida
“Very Nice Hotel”
Reviewed 5 September 2010

This hotel is very elogant. It has amazing views from the rooms and the roof top restaurant. We could see the Temple of Zeus from our window. It is also near the Acropolis. The rooms were very cozy and chic. The bathroom did not have a shower only a bath tub but you won't mind. The staff is very helpful and so is the concierge.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank tweaves

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (577)
  • Arabic first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
crystal lake USA
Reviewed 2 September 2010

My husband and I went to Athens prior to a cruise through the islands ending in Istanbul. We were celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary and had been to Athens on our honeymoon. We booked the Royal Olympic based upon recommendations from Trip Advisor and we were pleasantly surprised. The lobby is beautiful and the complimentary breakfast was plentiful with much variety. Staff was pleasant and the view from the rooftop bar was fabulous. I have read other reviews about the beds but did not find that to be a problem in our case, even though the beds did come apart once. The hotel has a great location with its close proximity to the Parthenon and the Plaka. Highly recommend this hotel!!

Raleigh, NC
Reviewed 31 August 2010

The Royal Olympic is a beautiful hotel in a great area. It is within walking distance of the Acropolis and was very convenient. Our room was okay but certainly not what I expect of a 5-star hotel. The walls were paper thin. The bed was the most uncomfortable bed I have ever slept on in my entire life. My husband and I were exhausted after a long day of sightseeing and could barely fall asleep on the hard mattress. We inspected the bed and sure enough, we were sleeping directly on a box spring. I do not understand why such a beautiful hotel would skimp on the beds. I have never slept on a box spring before and hope I never have to again.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
New York Metro Area
Reviewed 30 August 2010

My friends and I disembarked from a cruise in Athens and decided to spend an afternoon and evening to see the city before returning to the States. The location of the Royal Olympic is ideal. The lobby and pool area are very nice, but the rooms, while clean, need a remodel. The hours we spent atop the rooftop bar/restaurant watching the Acropolis more than made up for any deficiencies of the room. If you're used to American luxury standards, you will probably be disappointed, but if you understand European tourist class hotels, you'll look past the dated room decor and find the hotel will serve your needs. Overall service in the hotel is friendly, but slow. It's Athens--get used to it. All in all, I'd go back.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
Seattle, WA
Reviewed 28 August 2010

We had a lovely 3-night stay at Royal Olympic in Athens - the hotel is perfectly situated for seeing all of Athens' highlights... the Acropolis Museum, the Temple of Zeus, etc. Lots of walking but there was no need to hop onto other modes of transportation.
We got upgraded to a lovely 6th floor room facing the Acropolis/Temple of Zeus when we checked in - it was magnificent with our own private balcony! Beautiful marble bathroom and very comfortable room... the two beds smushed together weren't ideal but they didn't move around too much in our case. And the electronic curtains didn't work in our room either but you could move them manually - just a comment based on one of the other reviews. The upstairs restaurant with the views is appraently a bit too posh and required reservations (which, of course we didn't have) so we did eat in the bar one evening - it was nice but definitely better dinners elsewhere in Greece. However, this same spot was where the "upscale" rooms had breakfast every morning and it was a magnificent breakfast - both the food and service, and of course, the views. My one complaint was that the pool closed very early - 7:30pm - we tried to go one evening after sightseeing but were turned away as they were closing. Great and super helpful staff, including housekeeping turndown service.

Porto Heli, Greece
Reviewed 27 August 2010

First off- This is not what most people would consider a 5 star hotel. That being said, it is a nice, clean hotel in a very good location. We've been here for 2 days and have not taken a taxi or subway yet. The room is spacious, has A/C, a bit of a view and an "okay" bathroom. The bed is comfy. This is no Four Seasons or Ritz, but I think that for the price--- I am very pleased. The breakfast was fine-- great yogurt, fruit, meats, English breakfast things etc. I read other reviews stating that wait service was less than optimum- for that, I agree- however it is a buffet. Thankfully, we need not rely on the attention of the staff much. I think that I would absolutely stay here again. PS- Maid walked into our room without knocking- and got a view of my 58 year old partner's naked rear. I guess that the staff training does need some attention.

Padua, Italy
Reviewed 23 August 2010

We booked a standard room trough a travel agency friend of us and we were upgraded to the executive room, the one that faces the Zeus monument. The service is very good, all the staff very helpful also the staff of the roof bar which are very kind.
All the hotel, from the lobby to the rooms is made for americans. You can feel it... XXL sofas, big halls, big bathrooms, big beds...etc etc.. which is quite nice! the bad point is that the air conditioning is switched on always on the highest level, so you feel freezing everywhere. The only thing that I didn't like was the breakfast (which is awful, no variety, low quality food,...) that they charge at 25euros if you don't have it included! and the swimming pool that is very little and not very clean.
Maybe if you are from west Europe you'll think is not a 5 star hotel, but trust me, the quality average in Athens is lower, so I reccomend it. Good value for money.