“Excellent Stay, Amazing Location”

Royal Olympic Hotel
Ranked #59 of 282 Hotels in Athens
Reviewed 8 October 2010

We spent just one night here (unfortunately! Would LOVED to have stayed several) on our return from Santorini. When we arrived at the hotel, they were busy with a large group from Brazil, so we did have to wait appx. 30 minutes to check in---BUT they sent us to the bar with a comp drink, and voila! Upgraded to an amazing suite! It couldn't have been more perfect. The bathroom was huge, beautifully fitted out. The view was directly onto the Temple of Zeus and the Parthenon in the distance---we didn't want to clese the curatins at night, it was so gorgeous! We had a light dinner and drinks on the rooftop terrace, which is stunning---best rooftop with view I've been on! The pool area is lovely, and we sat outside at the pool early in the evening for a snack and a drink. We just wished we had planned to stay several days here. Perfect in every way! Service was excellent, bags brought to our room, taxi called and negotiated for us in the a.m. to the airport, and breakfast was OK--not great, but in view of the whole experience, a very minor blemish. I put 4 stars on "sleep quality" because the mattress was a bit soft.

There are newer reviews for Royal Olympic Hotel

Reviewed 5 October 2010

We stayed here for one night in late September. The hotel is nice enough, but there are a few quirks and drawbacks that make the hotel, in my opinion, definitely not a five star hotel. First of all, we had a king room with nice windows, but the bathroom was, well, Soviet, in my opinion (lots of experience in the former Soviet Union). The bathroom was by no means luxury, the toilet was weird, the shower small and funny looking, and the tiles were dirty. But on the positive side, the bed was comfy, and the room itself was on the large side.

The hotel staff "forgot" to tell us that the hotel has like 5 different elevators that service different room numbers, so we looked for our room for like 10 minutes before we found it. And the bell hops do not bring the bags to your room.

The hotel does have a lovely rooftop bar/rest. with a great view!

Reviewed 4 October 2010

Stayed here recently for 3 day-trip to Athens. Arrived after a great relaxing week in Naxos staying in a small basic studio, so this touch of luxury was timely and much appreciated. We checked-in to a deluxe room. Room was big, bathroom huge, impressive bed-side controls for lights and window blinds, and the view from our room was really incredible - straight onto Temple of Zeus, and the Acropolis up to the side.

Morning breakfast is served up on the roof restaurant and terrace - fairly standard (for this level of hotel) but nonetheless delicious buffet breakfast. If you're a tea drinker mind you, don't get too excited, but i'm sure that's no surprise. Greek yoghurt with the home-made rose compote was a personal favourite. Excellent staff throughout the hotel, very professional. Good enough pool, nice loungers etc. Gym is small but sufficient for a work-out.

I'd definitely return - excellent for a romantic getaway - but do treat yourself to at least the deluxe room - I sneaked a peek in an 'executive' room and there is a substantial difference!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 October 2010

The hotel is a good example of kitsch and low level aesthetics. The employes are not friendly with the guests . They insistent at the checkin to pay some guarantee for the mini bar despite the advance payment for the room wich I refused . Room was not very clean and a second example of kitsch .The view they promised at the Acropolis was a back road with no view except the dirty road and the parked cars. I payed 170 euros for very bad service.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 September 2010

We stay in this hotel as part of our Gate 1 Travel tour as a upgrade. The location is extraordinary, across from the Temple of Zeus and within blocks of the Parthenon Museum and Parthenon. Service was excellent. The outstanding feature of the hotel was the rooftop garden. We began dinner at sund\own, and watched the light change on the Parthenon on one side and the Temple of Zeus on the others. Museums and other attractions were within blocks, and late-night kiosks nearby afforded access to drinks and treats. We highly recommend.

Reviewed 27 September 2010

I stayed at this hotel for the last 2 nights of a 4 week hoilday. We had booked a two night stay at 225 euros per night , including breakfast and dinner on one night. Was upgraded to a 400 euro per night junior suite. Room , the views of temple of Zeus and amenities in the room , were nothing short of amazing. Drinks at the pool side at 10 euros for a mixer and 9 euros with dinner , were a little expensive.Front desk were excellent with check in , check out and any queries. Free wi fi in the room was an added bonus. Being walking distance , about 200 metres , to Acropolis is a great benefit.

Reviewed 26 September 2010

First off the loaction is exellent. And after my visit I would have gave it 4 stars but after experiencing a hotel on the outskirts of the city centre I feel my money could have been better spend elsewhere.

Room was clean though I am convinced they have drain problems because now and again I caught a whiff of something.

For a 5 star hotel the rooms were basic.

The biggest asset and issue for this hotel is that they seem to want to cover the requirements of the higher end rooms while forgetting the majority of plebs slumming it in the standard rooms at 150 euros a night I might add.

This hotel biggest asst is its roof top restaraunt, its a crying shame asthis was only open for suite customers for breakfast and 100 euro plus meal in the evening while is redicoulous considering the quality of food I observed (though to fair I dodnt taste). If they could sort out this aspect this could the best hotel in Athens as the view from the rooftop is awesome.

The same goes for a bar. 10 euros for a measure of spirits come on... better to have a few customers at a reasonable price than no customers at all.

This hotel, so nearly there. Dont regret my stay as it was perfect for my intensive Athens visit but since I was just crashing in the hotel I wished I stayed at the other hotel I visited later in my stay.