“I wish I had more time” 5 of 5 bubbles

New Hotel
Ranked #7 of 333 Hotels in Athens
GreenLeadersGold level
Nicosia, Cyprus
“I wish I had more time”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2012

I had too little time at New Hotel - I had an overnight layover for a long-haul flight, and on a recommendation of a friend in Cyprus, I treated myself. The staff at the reception was warm and friendly - think spa - and efficient.
I am an artist - and for me, one of the most special things about New Hotel is the decor. There is a planned decision behind each of the furnishings and visual details of the place; it is a very interesting place to stay. My friend did not tell me that this hotel is one of Dakis Joannou's labors of love but it shows, and should be a consideration when booking - save time to just be in the hotel.
Finally, the restaurant and the lovely hostess Foteini who saw me and immediately recommended the rib-eye "it is really good tonight". I was traveling alone, eating alone - but suddenly found myself delightfully at the table with my steak - and I needed NO company! It was delicious, and accompanied by their recommended chianti. As soon as I arrived at my room after my meal the phone rang, it was the staff wondering if they could deliver hot tea - Foteini knew I had been ill.
I left by 5am, and wish I could have at least stayed to see the hotel in the morning light. Next time!

Room Tip: look on the website, choose a room that looks interesting.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share with us your kind review. It is appreciating comments like yours that encourage us to offer our outmost to our valuable guests and keep up our motivation. The hotel team and myself would like to thank you and it will be our pleasure to accommodate you again in the near future !
Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Serbian first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2012

We stayed for 3 nights. Very good central location within 10 to 15 mins walk of all attractions. However, if you looking for an atmospheric neighbourhood with a more local feel, we would recommend areas of Psiri/ Thisio. Rooms were spotless with quirky design features and level of service was outstanding. All in all, a good option if you're looking for a trusty central city hotel.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank coastr
Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing New Hotel during your vacation in Athens. We are glad that you enjoyed our hospitality and it will be our pleasure to accommodate you again in the near future.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2012

The New Hotel is a gem in a old part of the city. Starting the day at breakfast with the impeccable New Taste restaurant service makes you feel like you have arrived. Coming back after a hard day's sight-seeing is like finding an oasis.

The front-desk staff and door man are always helpful and informed. Since we arrived in off-season we asked for a free upgrade and got larger room. Room service stopped at 12am midnight on Friday night so we decided to see what was outside. The front-desk pointed us in the direction of the 24/7 corner store since I only wanted beer. But next to it is The Art Cafe down the street which is very lively and a smokers' paradise as the owner smokes behind the bar. The food is sandwiches and salads but is very homely and tasty. The local beer and wine isn't bad either!

The New Hotel rooms are a little small, but are very well designed. The lighting takes a minute to explore. There are 2 sets of window blinds - blackout and privacy blinds. The sliding patio door keeps the busy street noise to a murmur and gives you access to 2 chairs on the patio. The shower door also becomes the toilet door. Wow! The jagged mirror that separates the bedroom from the sink basin and wardrobe is cool. And nothing aches of over-indulgent design or cheap retro chic like thestandard (on Sunset in Los Angeles.) In fact, the room layout with the glass shower room is a little like The Sanderson (London) that is designed by Phillipe Starck.

We arriving at night from the airport via the Metro/train which is 10+ stops; for both of us 14 euros. When you arrive Syntagma Square which is 5 mins walk from the hotel it's a bit off-putting. It's busy but a little run down. (It reminds me of the Opera House area of downtown Mexico City. A little run down, but with lots of shops surrounding it.) But since you don't have your bearings yet (and the stores may be closed) be prepared to the walk past graffiti and 2-3 narrow roads. Otherwise you could get a taxi, but the hotel is literally across the square (to the left of McDs) and 2 small blocks. It does look shady at night, but there's private security all around the square.

Room Tip: Since we arrived in off-season we asked for a free upgrade and got larger room.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share with us such a detailed review as well as your kind comments. It gives us great pleasure to know that you enjoyed our hospitality, location and our services. On behalf of our staff and myself would like to thank you once again and it will be our pleasure to accommodate you again on your next visit in Athens.
Bahrain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 December 2012

Made the reservation with much apprehensions as it was the first visit to Athens (Honestly went by tripadvisor rating) but the staff at the check in was so friendly and helpful that all the apprehensions vanished. Had a wonderful stay. The room was, shall I say quite funky. Metro is nearby and so is Syntagma square. Highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank SidZee
YesHotels, Manager at New Hotel, responded to this review, 28 December 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing New Hotel during your stay in Athens. We are glad that you enjoyed our hospitality as well as our location and services. Thank you and it will be our pleasure to welcome you back on your next visit to Athens.
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2012

In late October before we boarded on Marina the next day to cruise Mediterranean, my husband and I stayed one night at the New Hotel in Athens. The stay was short, however, the memory lasts, the memory of the people, the food, the services, the decor, and the location.

While we checked in a madam at the front desk noticed in the passport that it was my husband's birth day that day. "Happy birthday!" She greeted warmly. We quickly put down our luggage in our room, and walked out to sightsee. When we came back in the evening we saw a beautiful birthday cake on the table. And fruits and two sets of stylish plates and forks, a candle and matches. Wow, a special Welcome!

The next morning we had breakfrast at New Taste, the hotel's restuarant. It is modern, yet comfortable, elegant and cozy. It had plenty of selection of food and fruits; a waitress served fresh, hot coffee. We took a time at our breakfast that morning as we enjoyed very much the ambience, the coffee, the food, and the piece of quiet under the soft morning sun light shone through a large screened window by our table. On our way out we had a nice chat with the hostess, Fotini.

In the late afternoon, we checked out. Right at that moment, the rain started. The front desk called taxi for us. In less than five minutes a cab pulled over; the concierge opened an umbrella and escorted us to the cab.

Reluctantly, we left all this behind, heading out to Piraeus.

Ava & Steven
Seattle, USA

Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank steven l
YesHotels, Manager at New Hotel, responded to this review, 17 December 2012
Dear Guest,
The team of New Hotel and myself would like to thank you for choosing New Hotel during your stay in Athens. Our aim is to offer comfort and hospitality to all our guests and make New a” home –away- from- home- experience” . It gives us great pleasure to know that you enjoyed our hospitality on your special day. On behalf of our staff we thank you once more and we will be delighted to accommodate you again on your next visit in Athens.
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2012

The New Hotel was sophisticated, beautiful, comfortable, welcoming, clean, and safe. The service was the best I have ever received. The staff was genuinely warm, gracious, and caring.
The location was perfect -- a 4 minute walk to the metro at Syntagma Square and a really easy walk to the Acropolis and other sites. Rooms were exceptionally clean and comfortable, with black-out shades and balcony. Breakfasts were delicious, free, and more than adequate with cheese, olives, breads, fruit, yogurt, chocolate croissants, coffee, fresh-squeezed orange juice, etc. I was given a breakfast box to go on the day of my flight, since I had to depart before breakfast hours. The only thing I didn't absolutely love was the bathroom (a bit awkward), but the Kiehl's bath products were lovely (no need to pack soap or shampoo!), and the water was nice and hot. Elevators were speedy. This hotel has it all -- location, ambiance, and impeccable and warm service.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
YesHotels, Manager at New Hotel, responded to this review, 17 December 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for taking the time to share with us such a detailed review. It gives us great pleasure to know that you enjoyed our hospitality, location as well as our homemade breakfast and freshly brewed coffee at our restaurant New Taste. We shall share your encouraging comments with the rest of our staff and we will be more than happy to accommodate you again on your next visit in Athens.
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2012

There isn't much for me to say about this hotel. We stayed at a junior suite. The room was huge, the design amazing, the bed one of the most comfortable I've come across.

We ordered room service, it was fast and the quality amazing. The hotel staff were nice nd very well trained. The internet was free and refreshingly fast.

Location was ideal.

If you are reading this to determine whether or not you want to stay here. Just do it. There is nothing you will regret. I will personally stake my words on it.

Room Tip: Splurge on a suit, its worth it.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank ADTariq
YesHotels, Manager at New Hotel, responded to this review, 3 December 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for choosing New Hotel during your stay in Athens. It is always a great pleasure to receive such positive reviews and know that you had a pleasant experience with us. We are glad that you enjoyed our accommodation, location as well as our bedding experience. We shall share your encouraging remarks with the rest of our staff and we will be more than happy to have you as our guest on your next visit in Athens.