“Outstanding Service!”

New Hotel
Ranked #9 of 282 Hotels in Athens
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 10 May 2013

My husband and I selected this hotel for our 10th anniversary trip and our first visit to Athens, and we're so glad that we did. The location is perfect. The hotel is just a block or two from Syntagma Square, where you can find the train station, a Hop-On, Hop-Off bus stop (if you're into that sort of thing), and lots of shopping. The close proximity to the metro made getting to and from the airport a breeze. No taxi needed. The Plaka area is right around the corner (with more restaurants that you could possibly imagine), Hard Rock Cafe is just a door or two down the street, and many of the attractions are within walking distance - especially if you don't mind a 20 minute walk or so.

The hotel is modern and fun, well designed and nicely decorated. The room was a bit small, but very well appointed. Still, it was the staff and service that put this hotel over the top. In particular, Violeta was an OUTSTANDING concierge. She was always there to greet us with a smile, help us plan our outings (especially important since we were in Athens during Greek Orthodox Easter when nearly everything was closed!), and follow up with us upon our return to the hotel. Violeta single-handedly took our stay in Athens from good to great.

Tip for other traveler - have a drink at the bar. The passion fruit martini is INCREDIBLE!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for choosing New Hotel to celebrate your anniversary upon your first visit to Athens. Our aim is to offer comfort and hospitality to our valuable guests and make New “a home away from home” experience. It is comments like yours that encourage us to offer our outmost. On behalf of our staff would like to thank you for your encouraging words and we look forward to offer you our services upon your next visit in Athens were you can get the opportunity to enjoy one of our exotic cocktails at our brand new Art lounge on the terrace of the 7th floor, with a breathtaking 360o view of the whole city.

There are newer reviews for New Hotel

Reviewed 10 May 2013

One of a kind. The "new" breakfast is reason enough to spend a few nights here.The designer features range from repurposed furniture (from hipsters previous owners) to a "woods ape" wall mural which is the only one I have ever seen in the world!
We were warmly greeted upon arrival with a lovely tray of sweets ...and that is just an intro
To this highly original hotel well located near Syntagma Sq.

Room Tip: Try601 über quiet with partial view of the Acropolis
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business

Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your kind review. It gives us great pleasure to know that you enjoyed our homemade breakfast at our restaurant New Taste. We are glad that you enjoyed our hospitality service and design. On behalf of our staff we thank you and we would love to welcome you back on your next visit in Athens.

Reviewed 6 May 2013

I just checked in this morning, very good services and the staff came out to help my laggages and the check in area is so nice and comfortable, the staff serve me cool water and my room is ready with early check in - how wonderful :) the front desk lady is also very friendly. All staffs are nice, design of hotel is look pretty. Worth for the price we paid

Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MaryWan666
YesHotels, Manager at New Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your review as well as your kind comments. Our aim is to offer comfort and hospitality to all our guests and make New a pleasant experience. On behalf of our staff would like to thank you and we will be more than happy to welcome you back on your next visit to Athens.

Reviewed 5 May 2013

When researching hotels in Athens, I wanted to try something new, so I started my search by reviewing the top hotels in Athens on TripAdvisor. I quickly eliminated the #1 rated hotel, the Ava Hotel Athens, because it did not appear to have rooms available that would accommodate our group size of 3 people. When I viewed the information about the #2 rated hotel in Athens, the New Hotel, I quickly noticed that they had some large rooms that could accommodate the group.

While the hotel itself was located on a busy street in Athens, the entrance to the hotel was located on the side of the building, which was confusing at first. The lobby was very interestingly decorated with a wall covered in old wood pieces assembled in an artful way. That’s the best I can describe it, so I’ll let the photos do the talking.

The checkin process was painless and the friendly hotel staff helped us get checked in after just a few minutes and we were off to our room (or so I thought).

When we got into our room at the New Hotel we found it to be as advertised: Nicely sized rooms (with a door physically separating the two rooms), funky decorations on the walls, and enough room to sleep 3 people comfortably (we could have slept 1-2 more people in reality if needed).

But what we did not notice was the balcony in the room that was written in its description on hotels.com. It turns out that this room did not have a balcony like the description said.
While a balcony may not be a big deal to most people, it is a sacred tradition for my dad, brother and I to be able to sit on the balcony and drink our morning coffee or happy hour in the afternoon. We purposefully chose hotels and rooms based on availability of balconies, so we were disappointed.

I decided to check with the hotel staff to see if there were similar rooms available with a balcony, but not before snapping several photos of the room for the purpose of this review.

Our Second Room at New Hotel Athens

The staff at the New Hotel Athens was very understanding and accommodating when I came to talk to them about the room missing a balcony. They said that none of the rooms at our level contained a balcony, but they would see if there were other rooms available to accommodate us. While looking over rooms, the General Manager of the hotel came and apologized for the inconvenience and said that they would take care of us.

After searching for a few minutes, they were able to offer us two rooms that were right next to each other (Rooms 307 and 306). This gave us much more space than our original room and was an overall improvement. We gave our dad room 306 to himself and my brother and I shared room 307.

The hotel staff was very professional and accommodating during the entire process and I really appreciate their help in relocating us.

When I got back into the room I took a picture of the floor plan of the hotel. We were originally in room 514 (same layout as 314 on the plan below). It clearly looks like there should be some sort of balcony connected to that room, but I assure you there is not. I still find it odd.

The second room was much like the first when it comes to decorating. My biggest complaint about the room is the way the bathroom is designed. While I didn’t take a picture of it, I can describe it. The door to the shower is the same as the door to the bathroom. So, when you walk into the bathroom and close the door, you are opening the door to the shower. When you take a shower, the bathroom is wide open for someone to walk in. When you open the shower, water pours out onto the floor, leaving a wet mess in the bathroom.

While they likely view this as an elegant design that kills two birds with one stone, we all found it to be a very annoying design feature. I suppose that privacy within a hotel room isn’t a concern for many travelers, but it was weird for me sharing a room with my brother.

I’m not sure how else they could design that space, but it definitely could be improved.

The rest of the room was nice, although not very large. There was enough space for two people, but it did feel cramped at times. Fortunately we had the balcony to use when we needed separation.

The hotel did give a nice turn down service both nights and offered us candies and snacks as well.

Design and Artwork

After we had our room situation settled, we walked around the hotel to check out some of the common areas and artwork that I had read about online. The hotel had a very nice central staircase between levels, which we walked down to get to the mezzanine level.

In that level we noticed some cool artwork and decorations that truly made the hotel unique.

Dining

Included in our hotel rate was breakfast each morning for all guests. While there were not a ton of breakfast options, we found the baked goods to be tremendous. They were baked on site at the hotel and fresh as could be. I have never had a better croissant in my life!

There were also cheeses and yogurt available as well as some hot food options. They also had fresh squeezed orange juice available and it was delicious!

We found the hot food options to be very frustrating, because we weren’t sure if they were self serve or should be ordered through the wait staff. While one of us simply went to the hot food station and took eggs, bacon and potatoes, at other times a waiter dished them up for us. There were no signs on what should be done and it was not explained by the staff either.

Another frustrating part of breakfast was that the hotel appeared to have 5 staff members sitting around chatting while we had empty water and coffee cups. It could be that were dining too early in the morning for the staff to notice us, but we found the service to be inattentive on both days. When we did get their attention for water and coffee refills, they acted fast, but at a hotel of this nature we should not have to get their attention in that manner.

Overall Impressions of New Hotel Athens

I can see how this hotel receives consistent 5 star ratings on TripAdvisor. It’s cute, artsy and has a fun atmosphere. The bakery is a nice touch and it’s easy to get caught up in the surroundings of the hotel and look on it in awe. But that’s not really our style, so we actually found some of those features to take away from our overall experience.

The hotel staff was kind and accommodating, the rooms were modern and clean, but I guess I just expected to be blown away from a consistently 5 star rated hotel, and that didn’t happen with me at the New Hotel. For the price we were paying for the hotel, we didn’t find it to be the great value we were expecting and if we visit Athens again, we would likely try another hotel.
That doesn’t mean this hotel isn’t perfect for others. If you are into art, flashiness and high quality service, this hotel is for you. If you prefer substance over style, you might want to look elsewhere.

Because of these reasons, I give this hotel a 4 star rating out of 5. Very solid on all ends, but lacked the knock out punch I was expecting.

Room Tip: Higher floors are always good. Not all rooms have balconies
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to share such a detailed review.
We are happy to see that any inconvenience caused with your room assignment was promptly taken care of. We would like to thank you for recognizing our team members’ effort, and we are happy to find out that the alternatives offered were of your liking.
With regards to our breakfast menu, all bakery is prepared on site so as to guarantee freshness and quality. In order to offer our guests a more personalized service, we always have a chef on the spot to prepare and serve our hot breakfast delicacies. We would like to apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you, and please rest assured that your comments are already taken seriously into consideration from our restaurant staff.
We really appreciate your kind review and we look forward to welcome you back in New Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 3 May 2013 via mobile

This hotel is amazing! Upon arriving a doorman greets you and takes your bags, you are seated at check in with lovely counter staff and handed a cool glass of water and a treat.

Shown up to your room and have all the details explained. The rooms are pre-air conditioned for your arrival which was lovely after the Greek 30-degree heat!

The staff are always at hand to help out, the breakfast is delicious and fresh, the room we had was the postcard one and they are all so unique, contemporary and welcoming. The bed was super comfy and shower fixtures and temp great!

Each night as part of the turn down service you get a fresh bath mat and gourmet chocolates- it's all made for a wonderful stay in Athens!

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank bakingforbrad

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share with us such a detailed review. It gives us great pleasure to know that you enjoyed our hospitality, location and services. Our aim is to offer comfort and hospitality to our guests and make New Hotel a pleasant experience. On behalf of our team we thank you and we will be delighted to welcome you back to New Hotel on your nest visit to Athens.

Reviewed 2 May 2013

Everyone was so helpful and friendly. The rooms are modern, clean, and roomy. The hotel has location location location. Would definitely stay here again. My only concern was that the breakfast was pricey (made the mistake once, then just walked around the corner for the rest of our trip).

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,
On behalf of our team we would like to thank you for your kind comments. Our aim is to offer comfort and hospitality to our valuable guests and we are glad that we passed on this warm New feeling. Once again we thank you and we would love to welcome you back on your next visit.

Reviewed 1 May 2013

a perfect 3 nights stay in New Hotel. The room is amazing! We loved the decor. The beds were so comfortable. The bathroom was really nice too.
The staff is very nice and helpful. The breakfasts are really good (lots of choice and good quality).
The localisation is perfect to walk to most of interesting places!

Perfect for a romantic week-end in a beautiful city!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share with us your review as well as your kind comments. It gives us great pleasure to know that you enjoyed our hospitality, services , location and our homemade breakfast at our restaurant New Taste. On behalf of our team we thank you and we will be delighted to accommodate you again on your next visit to Athens.