“Amazing Service at a truly NEW Hotel”
Review of New Hotel

New Hotel
Ranked #10 of 326 Hotels in Athens
GreenLeadersGold level
Canada
“Amazing Service at a truly NEW Hotel”
Reviewed 3 November 2013

I arrived from Istanbul worried about having left some clothing at a hotel there. Stephania at reception was amazing. She immediately assured me that she would do all she could to help me. She called the hotel in Istanbul twice, offered me free access to the business center to contact my Istanbul travel agent and she even offered free use of a laptop computer overnight when I told her that I had Internet access problems in my hotel room. She was always upbeat, very knowledgeable, helpful with directions and dedicated to providing a great stay for hotel guests. All other hotel personnel I had contact with were also friendly and helpful.

I stayed in two different rooms, one slightly bigger than the other, though they were not large, but both were quiet, clean, and had a very contemporary look with oddly shaped mirror and wash stand and fun shadow puppet decorations on one wall. The hotel decor is modern, snazzy and ecologically in tune using furnishings of a hotel that had been at the same location but recycling and reworking them into the NEW hotel decor (like the neat reception area wooden wall of furniture legs etc..) The hotel has a spa but I did not have the time to try it though I had been given a 15% discount coupon. There is no swimming pool but space is obviously at a premium in central downtown Athens.

The breakfast is good -- part buffet (bread, pastries, cheeses, meats, fruit, Greek yoghurt (fat and 0% , etc..) and part table service (omelets etc...), but it is not clear on the first day how it works so I think the staff member who welcomes you should take a moment to explain the setup exactly and tell you what you can order. There is a card on the tables but I think it would be better if they did a quick verbal orientation. If you have a very early flight the hotel will offer you a box breakfast to take with you. The nightly truffle left on turn down service is delicious, and there is water and homemade treats on a small table at reception that is a nice perk. There is a rooftop restaurant with a view of the Acropolis but I did not have the opportunity to eat there.

In short, the NEW Hotel is a hip, comfortable hotel in a very central location with great customer service.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank N S
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for choosing New during your stay in Athens as well as taking the time to share with us such a detailed review. We are glad that you enjoyed every moment of your stay at New, our design, location services and our rooftop restaurant New Art Lounge. It is always our pleasure to do our best in order to meet our valuable guests’ expectations and needs. We will share your kind words with the rest of our team and we will be happy to accommodate you again in the future!
Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Stayed 2 nights on a business trip. Great location on the edge of Plaka, you can walk to almost anywhere in the city center. Hotel is new and very clean. The room was set up well for working and the WiFi had more than enough bandwidth to handle my VPN and was available throughout the building. Staff were very helpful and dealt with every request immediately and with a smile. There is a lot of traffic noise if you leave the window open--the only reason I did not give 5 stars. Next time I am in Athens I will stay here.

Room Tip: Some rooms have balconies.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Amcphail2
Shanghai, China
Reviewed 1 November 2013

I stayed in New Hotel when I visited Athens the second in my honeymoon. The hotel is newly decorated, and we can feel the sense of design everywhere. The wall, the stairways, even the toilet. It's a fashion place where you can use as a base to explore the old town of Athens. Below is the Pro and Cons.

Pro:
1. Art of design everywhere.
2. Friendly staff.
3. Location is perfect to explore ancient Athens.

Con:
1. Room was relatively small.
2. Breakfast was a little bit crowded.

I may stay again.

Room Tip: There is a parking area just adjacent to te hotel.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ling Y
Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing New Hotel during your honeymoon vacation. It gives us great pleasure to know that you enjoyed our hospitality, location and design. The hotel team and myself would like to thank you and we look forward to welcome you back in the near future!

Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed 30 October 2013

We had originally planned to stay here for just two nights, but we liked it so much that we arranged a second visit for two more nights following a cruise! The good things mentioned by others are all true—the comfortable beds, the innovative design features throughout the hotel, the view from the excellent rooftop restaurant, and the hotel's proximity to the Metro, restaurants, and historic sites. The hotel is so beautiful, especially inside, that the pictures don't really do it justice.

The staff went out of their way to help us, such as calling a person we needed to contact, but who only spoke Greek, in order to change a meeting time. Perhaps this kind of service is why this boutique hotel is sometimes completely full.

There are a few cautions--if you have a room facing Filellinon Street, you will find the morning sun makes the room uncomfortably warm in the mornings, unless you leave the blackout curtains closed until the sun finally gets to a more overhead position. That is the trade-off for a spectacular floor-to-ceiling wall of windows and your own balcony. If you normally don't like the hustle and bustle of big cities, you may find the noise from the street bothersome, but we actually found The New Hotel to be quieter than most hotels in large cities. However, I am a notoriously light sleeper and was not bothered by the noise at night, even on weekend evenings. We will definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: If you get a room off of Filellinon Street, it may be quieter, but you might ask to see the view fir...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Karen B
Dear Guest,
Thank you for showing your preference towards New Hotel. Our aim is to offer comfort and hospitality to our valuable guests and we are glad that we passed on this warm “New” feeling. It gives us great pleasure to know that you enjoyed our hospitality, design, location and our bedding experience. We will share your kind words with the rest of our team and we will be happy to accommodate you again in the future!
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Look no further for a great stay in Athens, with great value for your travel money!!! My wife and I stayed at the NEW Hotel for 4 nights in late October 2013, This was an excellent choice. The following observations make this hotel outstanding:
(1) our first impressions at check-in were extremely favorable, as the front desk receptionist, Violeta, made us feel most welcome, especially after our 9-hour+ flight from Toronto. Throughout our entire stay, Violeta showed a very sincere, high standard of customer care and we were pleased to observe this same level of service from the rest of the hotel staff. While the hotel personnel dressed formally and professionally in suits, their demeanor was casual and friendly. All our questions were answered patiently and thoughtfully.
(2) the hotel location is near ideal, just a 5 minute stroll from the heart of Athens, Syntagma Square, around which are the Parliament, Ermou St -the pedestrianized major shopping artery, and the main stop for the ever-convenient Hop-On-Off tour bus. This central location allowed us to return to the hotel in the middle of the day whenever we needed to rest. There are lots of good eating places within walking distance, so don't forget to ask Violeta for directions to Thanasis, for delicious souvlaki and greek kebab!!
(3) breakfast was superb, served in a beautifully decorated dining area, highlighted with selected remnants from the pre-renovated hotel. You have to see these creative structures!
The feshly squeezed juice and great coffee were fantastic morning starters.
(4) do not miss the lovely cafe and dining area on the open-air top floor - with memorable views of the Parthenon/Acropolis on one side and Lykavittos Hill on the other.
(5) the hotel is newly renovated, very modern and very clean throughout. There is free, easy- to-access wi-fi in all areas of the property and the room has a convenient "recharging centre" for all your electronic devices. The bathroom area had a unique swiveling single glass door which took some time to get used to. There is ample hanging closet space so you don't have to live out of a suitcase. Also, lots of open shelving were very handy for cosmetics, as the area around the single sink was a bit tight for space. An extra bonus was a balcony off our room, with table and chairs for an additional relaxation area!
(6) a nice touch was the snack table at the lobby - with free - fruits, cookies and cold drinks, perfect when you return after a full day of walking!
To summarize - enjoyable stay, good friendly service, great breakfast and good value! We're looking forward to our return to historic Athens - and to the New Hotel. Highly recommended!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Rolfkram1
YesHotels, Manager at New Hotel, responded to this review, 31 October 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for taking the time to share with us your detailed review as well as your appreciative comments. It gives us great pleasure to know that you enjoyed our hospitality, location, design and services. Our aim is to offer comfort and hospitality to our valuable guests and make your stay at New a pleasant one. It is appreciating comments like yours that encourage us to offer our outmost to our valuable guests and keep up our motivation. The hotel team and myself would like to thank you and we look forward to welcome you back in the near future !
Rockville, Maryland
Reviewed 27 October 2013

The New Hotel is very conveniently located. Design is great. But that's about it. I believe the hotel is very much overrated. Rooms were smaller than I thought but still OK. Our suite with an interconnecting door was facing a narrow street which was full of cars all day long. We did not like a housekeeper knocking the door at 6pm asking if we need something, while we were relaxing before evening outing. Free Wi-Fi was on and off all the time. No coffee/tea maker in the room; no sound proof windows, so traffic noise from the nearby street at night was an issue; absence of valet parking; small restaurant with basic breakfast which is not a buffet but not a full service either. We were not told about rooftop bar/restaurant and missed the opportunity to see Acropolis at night. Staff at the front desk could not provide correct info regarding some attractions. However we were checked-in one hour earlier with no problems, a bellboy was very helpful. So overall it is not worth the money we paid.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
YesHotels, Manager at New Hotel, responded to this review, 29 October 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing with us your review as well as your kind comments. The location of New Hotel is as you mentioned very convenient since it is situated right in the city center and within walking distance from all major city attractions. Kindly note that an adequate parking is located right opposite our hotel’s entrance, thus making the presence of valet service unnecessary. It is this exact location that does not give us the luxury of being surrounded by car free roads. With regards to our housekeeping services kindly note that in order to accommodate all of our guests needs we provide twice a day maid service unless a do not disturb sign is placed on your door knob. All of our rooms are equipped with double glazed windows to keep out most of the traffic noise. New taste restaurant serves a wide range of freshly cooked homemade breads and veinnoiserie , traditional pies, cold cuts , freshly squeezed juices as well as a la minute variety of eggs and assortments all included at no extra charge. It is with great regret to be informed that none of our options was up to your standards. Once again thank you for your kind comments and we look forward to welcome you back.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 26 October 2013 via mobile

This was the best hotel I've stayed in while in Europe. Great staff! Clean modern room! Accommodating to any request! Just the best!! No need to take the metro, every site is easy walking distance. I had forgotten a bag in my room and didn't realize it until we were at the airport. This was troubling to me since it contained all the teas and spices I had just bought in Istanbul. I called the hotel and they quickly grabbed a bag and put it in a taxi to be delivered to me before our departure. They call me when the bag left, gave me the taxi number and plate number. They also called me two minutes before the cab arrived. Certainly saved me from getting in trouble with my family if I arrived empty handed. My only feedback to the hotel is that the private car services they use to and from the airport could be of better quality. They are steps above a taxi and it is good for business class but being use to heated and cooled back seat that recline it's hard to get use to a regular Mercedes again. It would be nice to have a truly first class car to complement this first class hotel! When we are on vacation we like to go all out! You will not regret staying here!

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple